Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress as "in trouble" protagonist--know any film noir titles?

Hello,

Film noir movies--seems (to me) actors are always cast as the "flawed protagonist". I was wondering, do you know of film noir movies having a woman cast as the "character in trouble". I know of one--"The Blue Gardenia" (1953). Anne Baxter is the "in big trouble" protagonist.

Anyone know any other movies?

Rusty

Hello,

Is it okay to add another film? Good. I thought of one other movie--"Witness to Murder" (1954). Barbara Stanwyck versus the dastardly George Sanders (he is one bad guy in this movie). Nobody believes Ms. Stanwyck's 'story'...except, me.

Rusty

Although she doesn't appear often on TCM, Gene Tierney plays a woman in trouble in several including "Laura", "Whirlpool", and the wickedly wonderful "Leave her to heaven." One of her first movies (or at least earliest) was " The Shanghai Gesture" all of which I thought were good enough to purchase, considering places like amazon sell them for as little as $6 or so.

JeffH,

First. Any mention of Gene Tierney is okay by me.

However. "Laura"--Dana Andrews is the protagonist "in trouble". Why? He is having a problem doing his job (investigating a murder). Why is Andrews having a problem with his murder investigation? Because he is falling in love. Why is Andrews love life a problem? He is falling in love with (as far as Andrews knows) a dead woman.

"Leave Her To Heaven"--saw the movie, but don't remember much about the movie. I do remember the "Gene Tierney watches crippled kid drown" scene. I do remember that.

"Whirlpool"--Have not watched. Number six in my Netflix queue.

I did recall another female "in trouble" protagonist movie (again, with Barbara Stanwyck)--"Sorry, Wrong Number".

Rusty

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure it qualifies as film noir, but there's "Outrage" (1950) starring Mala Powers as a rape victim. It was directed by Ida Lupino. Maybe it's more of a "social problem" movie, but as I recall it has some noirish elements to it, particularly the scene where Mala is being pursued through the dark streets by the man who rapes her.

• 2 weeks later...

Vince, I have problems too, watching that movie that is. I know some Joan Crawford fans would probably nail me up for saying so, but I find that and many of her movies to be unwatchable, though she was a huge star in her day. Go figure. Loved her in Mildred Pierce though, and can't see anyone else in the role really.

Bogie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...