Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jarhfive

Your favorite W.C. Fields movie?

Hello,

Last night, TCM broadcast W.C. Fields' "The Bank Dick".

"The Bank Dick" has my favorite bit of Fields' dialogue:

[Elsie Mae Adele Brunch Sous? (daughter) 'bonks' Egbert Sous? (Fields) over the head with a megaphone]...

Egbert Sous?: Godfrey Daniel...Mother Of Pearl!

Agatha Sous? (wife): Child's only playing with you...you fool.

Egbert Sous?: Don't understand her funny.

I could put that part of "The Bank Dick" on a continuous loop, run the loop and laugh every sixty seconds.

However. The funniest W.C. Fields movie I have watched is "You Can't Cheat An Honest Man". Starring W.C. Fields, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. Fields matches wits with Bergen and McCarthy, insults fly and I laugh until my internal organs suffer damage. Add Fields' ping-pong routine, big game hunter routine and some stuff Fields does with kids. I laughed and laughed and...

So, do you have a favorite W.C. Fields movie?

Rusty

Its A Gift is mine. "Open the door for Mr. Muckle".Karl LaFong capital L small A capital F small O small N small G Karl LaFong.

1941's "Never give a sucker an even break" great and funny (unfortunate that it's Field's last film) and a great role for Margaret Dumont as Mrs. Hemogloben.

vallo

I am with Cagney69 on this. "It's a Gift" is 65-70 minutes of pure madness.

I like the scene where it is around 2 a.m. and the phone starts ringing. Fields and his wife, both half-asleep are saying, "you answer it...no you answer it". Finally Fields answers and it's a wrong number and Fields says; "No this is not the maternity hospital." He gets back into bed and suddenly his wife is standing up wide awake with hands on hips asking Fields; "Who is calling you at this hour of the night from a maternity hospital?"

When Fields is out in California and "negotiating" with investors who want his land on the cheap. No matter what they offer Fields says, "No". Fields, who has been taking shots of booze from a pocket bottle is finally confronted by one of the investors..."Sir you are drunk!" To which Fields responds; "I may be drunk but you're crazy, I'll be sober tomorrow but you'll be crazy the rest of your life."

I love the ending, when we get to see Fields vision of Heaven on Earth. His wife and kids are leaving for the day...Fields is dressed all in white sitting at a table on his large cool front porch. On the table he has containers of gin, tonic water and sliced up oranges. While making himself a LARGE Gin and Tonic he is finally at peace with the world.

"The Bank Dick" (1940)

"Luddy-duddy.....mooncalf....jabbernow.....mogo on the g'go-go." What a colorful vocabulary Fields had.

The bank president's hearty hand clasp is priceless, as is Fields performing tricks with his cigarette to entertain the young children of the town ("Never touched a cigarette 'til I was nine.").

I'm with cagney69 and michaeldouglas: it has to be 'It's A Gift'. The scene in the store with "Mr. Muckle, honey!" is absolutely one of the funniest I have ever seen.