Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 1 month later...

I saw Big Jake at the drive-in when I was a kid.Our family was on hoilday and my Dad decided to take us to the drive-in .Richard Boone was the bad guy and when I look back now that was a wild movie for my Dad to take us to but we all loved John Wayne so I guess it was pretty normal.Your comment on drive-in is what got me going on this one hope it is okay to share.

It's ok inglis. Experiences add a little zest into the discussion. My first John Wayne movie at the theater was "The Cowboys." I thought Bruce Dern had to be the nastiest character ever on screen. (It was before I really started my movie hobby.) You didn't kill John Wayne and get away with it. But the most vivid recollection was when John Wayne died how massive his body was. His chest seemed huge. It was quite a shock as even in that early period for me I knew John Wayne seldom died in a movie.

Hi .That is so wild that you said that,when I first saw The Cowboys I was totally dismayed that John Wayne got killed as you said it is rare that he got knocked off.I really liked the cook in The Cowboys do you remember him ? What his name was .He spoke in such an articulate way .Bruce Dern was scary.

There was a really good show on tonight ,it was documentary on John Ford and John Wayne got to see some clips from their collaborations.Lots of footage of behind the scenes stuff .I have to see The man Who Shot LibertyValance again I have not seen it in years .Thank-you for the name of Roscoe Lee Brown.

The cook in "The Cowboys" was Roscoe Lee Browne, a wonderful character actor. I believe his character's name was Mr. Nightlinger. I love the scene in which he atones to his maker just before he and the boys retaliate against Bruce Dern.

Funny, I responded on the other thread (Best Western) before checking this one out. Just watched "Liberty Valance" last night. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

I saw "The Cowboys" at the theater when it first came out and was surprised at Wayne's death in the film. My favorite scene is the one in which the boys are drinking and getting drunk for the first time. Wayne and Browne are eavesdropping on them and reminiscing on their own "first time" experiences as youths.

Loved "The Searchers." Very tough, no-nonsense Wayne. But I'm afraid my all-time favorite Wayne film isn't a western. It's "The Quiet Man." I don't think I'm alone in this, either.

CharlieT

You're not. It's a lovely film. I saw the Ford?Wayne special on PBS last night and was surprised to hear, I think Richard Shickell (sp?), his face wasn't on camera, mention that he never liked the movie. He doesn't like the way O'Hara was treated in the movie. I don't think it was intent to hurt and it was maybe to embarrass her. However, she doesn't hesitate to go get the supper ready, does she?

I think it was just part of the old world culture. Well before and thousands of miles away from Women's Lib. In the 50's, this was expected even in some households here in the USA.

CharlieT

I was going to mention that but I thought maybe I'd pass and see if it came up. I agree with you.

What do you actually think the time setting of the movie is? The closthes say early 50's but the atmosphere seems earlier.

Chris

Message was edited by:

Me

It's really difficult to pin it down to any certain decade. The Reverend Playfair's car is the only one in the entire movie and it appears to be late 20's to 30's. The fight flashback feels strikingly like the 40's. The farm machinery could be from the turn of the century. The clothing worn by Sean Thornton seems to fit into a range from the late 30's to the early 50's.

I think the movie was meant to be, in a sense, timeless. It adds to the mystique and allows us to escape to Innisfree more easily. I guess you could say it is our own little cinematic "Brigadoon" destined to appear anytime we slide it into the VCR or DVD player. It isn't the only movie that can do this. There are several and all of them are classics.

CharlieT

I love The Quiet Man too! I have it on vhs but would like to have it on dvd .My birthday is coming up this month and I have asked for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.I had watched the John Ford and John Wayne special as well .

Its funny I had asked about Roscoe on another thread and got an answer .Then I was thinking what was his character's name in The Cowboys and now I have my answer to that one.He was great as the cook .

I got my copy of the DVD at WalMart in the $5.50 bin. When it rang up at the register, it was only $4.88. Not a lot of extra features - just the original trailer and scene selection, but good quality print. Saw it at Target for the same $4.88. At that price, you might want to treat yourself.

CharlieT

• 3 weeks later...

Happy birthday! With a name like inglis, I would have expected you to ask for a new washer and dryer. ;)

Congratulations on finally being able to vote. Is the age of majority 21 in the Great White North like it is here in the lower 48? *wink, wink*

CharlieT

Does anyone know why "Rio Grande" was not included in the new John Wayne-John Ford dvd boxed set? Since this was the third & final film of Ford's cavalry trilogy I cannot imagine why it wasn't included.