Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Evolution of Gangster Films

Hi Guys,

I am currently writing a project for my university course on how gangster films have gradually changed over the last 75 years e.g setting,style, usage of swearing/violence, humour. I am also looking at how these films tell us alot about the times they were made in. I am looking at early films like Little Caeser right through to recent and present day movies such as Road to Perdition. Films in between include The Public Enemy, The Godfather Trilogy and Scarface. I also wish to look at how all these films had an impact on present day mob show, The Sopranos. I would welcome your knowledge on any of these subject and any helpful comments and web links are much appreciated.

Cheers

SF06

I don't know if this helps but one difference that stands out to me is that later films, such as Bonnie and Clyde and The Godfather tried to make gangsters look like real people. In early films they were just selfish, greedy, and unfeeling machines devoid of personality or emotion. Also, in earlier films, because of the Hayes office, the bad guy never got away with it. It wasn't allowed. Nowadays, the bad guys are often the heroes of the film. That shows how our morals and values have changed. Success is good no matter what you're successful at.