Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Watched Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi in 'The Invisible Ray' last night on TCM. And they were serving up the ham thick and juicy for this movie. Watching them trying to out-ham each other was hilarious, the only redeeming feature of an otherwise awful movie.

Of course Colin Clive will always be the standard by which all ham will be measured.

Who is your favorite Ham ?

Regards

> Ham begins and ends with the greatest scenery chewer of all time !!! (EdWoodJr)

---------------------------

I agree, Ed. Charles Laughton's the zenith, but of the current crowd of hammies I nominate Alan Rickman. Not just for the Harry Potter flix, but . . .

Speaking of Ham Chewing - In that dreadful Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Kevin Costner tripe, Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham literally chews the furniture (actually gnaws on the arm of a settee).

*This is not to say he's always at the "threshold of plausibility", he can be very subtle in his roles.

Spencer Tracy was warned not to take the lead role in "The Last Hurrah" due to the scene-stealers in the cast;John Carridine,Edward Brophy,Basil Rathbone, Wallace Ford,Frank McHugh,James Gleason,Jane Darwell["Homely as spit you was"] and one of my[and the films director,John Ford's] favorites O.Z.Whitehead.

I do have to admit that Laughton was the biggest ham but do want to throw out names like Walter Brennan,Edna May Oliver,Hank Worden,Francis Ford,Charles

Winniger and Mike Mazurski among others. I know this isn't politically correct but

Eddie Anderson, Stepin Fetchit,Hattie McDaniel and Louise Beavers could steal a scene from anyone.

• 1 month later...

John Barrymore-The Twentieth Century(among others)

Alan Mowbray-I Wake Up Screaming(among others)

Lee Tracy and Warren William-in many films many as "fast-talking"lawyers.

Adolph Menjou-Roxie Hart.

Lana Turner was a honey baked ham, from her earlier hamlet Ziegfeld Girl ("I'm counting my blessings!") to her driving skills in The Bad and the Beautiful and to her later diva turns in Imitation of Life, Peyton Place and Madame X.

Mary Badham told me a couple of weeks ago that after her friends back in Alabama saw her wearing the "ham" costume in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (in the scene where she and Jem are attacked by Bob Ewell and saved by 'Boo' Radley), they never let her forget it, since her last name's "[/u]Bad[/u] Ham."