Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite All-time Horror Flick!

Any of the Universal monster movies ranks high on my list. Plus a lot of the Hammer Films have a special place in my list. It's just something how they made those movies without all the gore and with just basically by hand. A more modern day movie? I like the Evil Dead series. Another set of movies done by blood, sweat and tears. :-)

Any of the Universal monster movies ranks high on my list. Plus a lot of the Hammer Films have a special place in my list. It's just something how they made those movies without all the gore and with just basically by hand. A more modern day movie? I like the Evil Dead series. Another set of movies done by blood, sweat and tears. :-)

• 5 months later...

This is an IMPOSSIBLE question. I had a hard time even narrowing it down to this list (not in order):

House of Wax

White Zombie

The Black Cat

Dracula

King Kong

The Haunting

Anything with Boris Karloff and/or Peter Lorre, of course!

And for 'newer' films:

Rosemary's Baby

The Omen

The Sentinal

Candyman

Poltergiest

The Shining

IT

I haven't seen anything really great in new horror films except for "Hide and Seek" which was more thriller/suspense I think, although I would recommend it. Dakota Fanning steals the film in my opinion. She is one talented 11 year old! Very real,scary and creepy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lorrekarloff--

I see The Haunting in your favorites list. Watched it for the first time last night. Very scary... and very good, considering you never actually see anything. It's all sounds and angles and music. Even hearing Julie Harris' voice in her head was creepy. But then again, I guess that is what makes it work. There's nothing more thrilling than a good scare, don't you think?

sgrayson- The Haunting has been one of my top favorites since the first time I saw it-for all the reasons you said. Its all in what you DON'T see, and the sound effects are sooo creepy! I jumped so many times the first time I saw it, and sometimes it still gets me.

The remake is not like that at all. Bad acting and lots of special visual effects. They really killed it, in my opinion. I'll stick with the original-glad you liked it too!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah this question has been asked millions of times at forums everywhere on the net and I do agree its impossible to respond to....there are so many films that its hard to come up with a decent list..

I personally loved

"The Beyond"

"Holloween"

"The Hitchhiker"

"Rosemary's Baby"

"The Hills have Eyes"

"Last House on the Left"

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

"Carrie"

there are tons more but it would take time to track all of them down.

==============================

www.theseventhvoyage.com

dedicated to Ray Harryhausen

• 1 month later...

It takes a lot to scare me but the Exorcist did, so it's my all time favorite, also a few others;

The Exorcist (1973)

The Exorcist III

The Jacket (2005)

Horror Of Dracula

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave

The Mummy (Borris Karloff)

Hellraiser 1,2,3

Saw

Pet Sematary

Poltergiest

And let's not foget Beetle Juice.

Ha ha - Beetlejuice, thats a great movie, but not horror-I'd say comedy-I love the waiting room scenes and the shrunken head guy at the end! And I frequently use the Winona Ryder quote- "I myself am strange and unusual".

Also liked the Hellraiser movies. They were actually a bit scary the first time around, and it takes a lot to scare me too. Im going to borrow 'Saw' from a friend, he says it was very good.

Has anyone here seen the Rob Zombie films 'House of 1,000 Corpses and/or 'The Devils Rejects'? If so, what did you think?

• 4 months later...

Well, so many to chose from! You can't go wrong with Universal's classics of the 1930s and 1940, even the lame mummy series.

I'd have to say my all time favorite would be James Whale's "The Bride of Frankenstien" (1935). It somes up the best of movie making at that time on a leel that was never equalled again in theat era.

The scariest Horror Film? "The Exocist" scared me for days when I was 15 and I have seen a scary movie to equall that since then!

• 3 weeks later...

This movie scared me so much when I saw it at the movies that I was afraid to go to the bathroom at the movies. Later on in the 50's I saw it on tv and it still had the same effect. The music added to the scary effect. Also the 30's Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolfman scared me while growing up watching on tv.

Seems so hard to narrow it down to just one, but I'll have to go with FRANKENSTEIN. Gosh, I've seen it probably 50 times by now-maybe more. Yeah, Frankenstein is my favorite; although I'm a huge BRIDE fan too.

I also love the Val Lewton Horror films. Perhaps because his films have such a different-almost noir-quality to them. They're more psychologically horrifying than anything else, and to do that you have to be able to hire masters of motif. Lewton certainly did that by working with Jacques Torneur, Mark Robson, Robert Wise, and some of the highest quality screenwriters of the 1940's. My favorite film from Lewton's collection would have to be: The Body Snatcher.

And I also love The Haunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh if there was only one !

I think John Carpenter/ Deborah Hill's "Halloween" is a very well done film - no blood & guts, just some good scares along the way.

Also really enjoy the silents with the music, camera angles, shadows, etc., i.e. The Cat And the Canary

Nosferatu

Vampyr

John Barrymore's Dr. Jekyl & Mr.Hyde

& of course, Lon Chaney in The Phantom Of The Opera !

And then both Frankenstein & Bride Of....

Dracula (1931)

The Haunting

House on Haunted Hill & The Haunted Palace

& for fun, The Ghost & Mr. Chicken AND Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein !

Mine would have to be these:

-The Shinning

-The Birds

-Village of the Damned

-Creature From The Black Lagoon

-Halloween

-Alien

-Aliens

-King Kong

-Frankenstein

-2001: A Space Odyssey ( To me it's in this catagory)

-The Ring

And finally . . . . MOTHRA! Nah just kidding. heh

Does anyone know of a few good movies about biohazards? I know there is one with William Hurt that I would like to see. What's, the name of it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

from universal my favourite film from a whole bunch of classics is lon chaney's phantom of the opera.it me be old and silent,but every minute of it is sheer quality.

i still think lee and cushing in dracula is fantastic

salems lots is the one film that has scared me more than any other film. mr barlow almost made me wet myself and the glick brothers coming through the bedroom window ensured i did not sleep well for months.

but, the one film that still sends shivers down my back is the wicker man. regardless of the name of the film, i never saw the end coming for poor howie. my jaw dropped and still does. awesome.