Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite All-time Horror Flick!

flickerknickers

Can't possibly pick just one, lol....here are my top twelve....originals, of course, no remakes....

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

Dracula

Frankenstein

The Wolfman

The Mummy

The Exorcist

Profondo Rosso (better known as Deep Red)

Suspiria

Halloween

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Evil Dead

Favorite Horror Films (no order):

Frankenstein

The Mummy

The Wolfman

The Black Cat

Creature from the Black Lagoon

The Shining

Halloween

The Old Dark House

The Body Snatcher

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Alien

The Thing

FAVORITES (N0 ORDER ALSO ALL ORIGINALS).....THE BLACK CAT......WEREWOLF OF LONDON.......THE MUMMY.......DRACULA.....THE FLY.......THE THING.......INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS....ZOMBIES OF MORA-TUA........THE MAN WHO TURNED INTO STONE...THE WOLF MAN....FRANKENSTEIN........FRANKENSTEIN VERSUS THE WOLF MAN (GREAT STUFF WITH BELA LUGOSI PLAYING THE MONSTER)......THEM !.......HOUSE OF WAX (WITH VINCENT PRICE)

• 2 weeks later...

"The Mummy" scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Watching it on Creature Features (any New Yorkers here) gave me nightmares. The scene where he was wrapped alive was terrifying.

"Aliens" was not a sci-fi movie - it was classic horror movie where someone is trapped in a house (now a spaceship) and can't get out.

An overlooked movie is "Fallen" with Denzel Washington. Nothing gory, but the psychological thrill is unbelievable.

"The House On Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price was another that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

And "The Omen" scared me - probably because I didn't read the book. The reason "The Exorcist" didn't affect me as much is because I did read the book first.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite cult horror films are these:

Castle of Blood (1964)

Shivers (1975)

Suspiria (1977)

Tombs of the Blind Dead

Return of the Blind Dead

Black Sabbath (1963)

Whip and the Body (1963)

Spirits of the Dead(1968)

Last Man on Earth (1964)

Turn of the Screw (1974)

Devil's Nightmare (1971)

Castle of the Walking Dead (1967)

House of Seven Corpses (1973)

I like the old horror movies like:

Frankenstein

Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man

The Wolf Man

Dracula

King Kong-the part that is chilling for me is where the tribe takes Fay Wray up to where she is tied to the stake.

Dracula 1979

the Halloween movies- Jason made me jump more than once

This isn't a horror movie, but the program, One Step Beyond, is really scary. You don't want to watch this before you go to bed. Remember, it's only a program.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all the old horror movies: Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, The Mummy. But, my favorites are the trilogy: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein. It is from these three little masterpieces that Gene Wilder created his masterpiece Young Frankenstein. Without having watched all three of those orignals, you really haven't got a clue.

As a variation to this thread, I would like to know what is your 'Favorite All-time Scary Flick!'.

Horror movies can be described many ways, 'interesting', 'atmospheric', 'shocking', 'gory', 'Laughable' etc. But in my experience very few of them can be described as 'SCARY'.

I would like to know what you consider to be a genuinely 'Scary' movie. I must say, the 1963 version of 'The Haunting' had me going for a while. It's not the kind of movie to watch alone in an old dark house.

The few movies that have thrown a scare into me were not within the 'Horror' genre.

Regards

I agree completely, Metry. Although, I think most people would still call them horror. Friday the 13th, Halloween, and oh, there was another one I can't think of right now, but they scared me to death when I first saw them. I don't think the old ones scare us because they are so tame compared to films today. I haven't seen any since the ones I just mentioned because I know they would scare the living daylights out of me, and I am too old to want that, on any level. But, I'll bet back when the old horror films were shown, many of those viewers were not only scared, but had nightmares!

One movie I saw previews for was where the gal is babysitting and she gets the call from within the house! Oh, gosh! Too scary for me.

My favorites tend to have a twisted sense of humor to them:

The Invisible Man Returns (I've been reading up on WWII recently, and I wonder how much Vincent Price's character may have been based on Hitler! The movie came out during the early part of the war.)

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Scream

Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein (even though it's really a comedy)

My favorite would have to be Mad House; it's pretty recent but should be in the horror section @ blockbuster and not in new release. I highly recommend this film for any horror fans out there. And the movie May is also a favorite. But the SCARIEST movie would have to be The Grudge, although Gothica made me scream outloud. But my favorite classic horror films would have to be

Arsenic and Old Lace, the 70's version of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers,

The Thing with Kurt Russell, The Spiral Staircase and Psycho.

You folks all have the best of the best listed. I guess my favorites would have to include (not in any order):

Session 9

Exorcist/Exorcist III

Dracula/Frankenstein/Wolfman/Mummy (and their followups)

The Grudge/Ju-On

Ring/Ringu

The Last Broadcast

Suspiria

Nosferatu(both silent and more recent)

any Lon Chaney Sr. or Boris Karloff films

Vampyr (the silent one)

• 4 weeks later...

Far too many for my brian to chose from...let's see..

King Kong and 7th Voyage of Sinbad for fantasy.

Classic horror perhaps...Bride of Frankenstien.

The one ghost story I watch every Halloween is Robert Wise's The Haunting.

Like I said just to hard for me to pick under the wide label "Horror".

• 4 weeks later...

DRACULA

FRANKENSTEIN

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

THE UNINVITED

NOSFERATU

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (both the Lon Chaney & Claude Rains ones)

HOUSE OF WAX

CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI

WOLFMAN

FREAKS

DER GOLEM

MARK OF THE VAMPIRE

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL

I don't know that it's my favorite horror film, but the only one that really and truly scared (and continues to scare) me is THE EXORCIST. "You're all gonna die up there..." It doesn't get any creepier than that for me.

As for down-to-earth, too easy to believe it's true horror, I like THE STEPFATHER. No ghosts, no demons, no monsters - just one very scary and realistic "family man" who doesn't like to be disappointed.

And, generally speaking, anything with zombies is worth seeing at least once. I love zombies!

Archived