Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite All-time Horror Flick!

I like THE WOLFMAN because I think Lon Chaney, Jr. was so good in it as the tormented Larry Talbot.

My all-time favorite from the goden era would have to be DONOVAN'S BRAIN (1953 version).

Creepy, and not just because Nancy Reagan is in it.

Spider Baby, yeah I said it... it is the ultimate in schlock, real horror I have to go with Freaks, Dracula, The Haunting, The Shining(ABC miniseries, not the Kubrick mess). Also the Wolfman, the atmosphere in that movie can not be done with todays high def color.

Really hard to narrow it down but a few of mine:

The Exorcist (old and new)

Burnt Offerings

The Unholy Trinity (Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead)

Pumpkinhead

Suspiria

Legend of Hell House

Asylum (Amacus had some cool films!)

Dracula, Prince of Darkness

Hell Night

Legion (Exorcist III)

The Fog (original)

Halloween

Malevolence

The Omen 1 & 2

Phantasm

Witchboard

Wow,there are so many to choose from.Here's my list (in no particular order):

Halloween(original slasher flick)

The Shining(Jack Nicholson,nuff said)

Psycho(first horror film I saw)

Nightmare on Elm Stret(very original)

The Haunting (1963)(less is more)

The Omen (very creepy)

Audition(skin-crawling)

Dracula(original is still the best)

Frankenstein(where do monsters come from?)

Carrie(best revenge scene ever!)

Seven(greatest death scenes)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original)(felt like a documentary)

Suspiria(Dario Argento at his best)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Being that classic horror is probably my favorite genre of films, this one is going to be very tough. Let's see...

Psycho

The Shining

Rosemary's Baby

Nosferatu

Night of the Living Dead (original)

The Thing From Another World

Dracula (1931)

Halloween

The Silence of the Lambs

Horror of Dracula

Bride of Frankenstein

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

The Black Cat (1934)

Dawn of the Dead (remake)

The Old Dark House

Jaws

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

The Wolf Man

Curse of Frankenstein

Island of Lost Souls

M

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake)

Scream

Scream 2

Murders in the Rue Morgue

House on Haunted Hill (original)

Mystery of the Wax Museum (original)

my 1st reply to this forum, was looking on the guide for the rob zombie movies i seen

advertised on tcm, and decided to check the forum's out and seen this thread. ;)

here's my top list on scariest movies mainly from 70's to 80's.

Aliens

Beyond the Door

Burnt Offerings

Children of the Damned

Cujo

Demon Seed

Friday the 13'th (part 1)

Galaxy of Terror

Halloween (part 1)

Humanoids from the Deep

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

It's Alive (part 1)

Phantasm (part 1)

Psycho

Rosemary's Baby

Salem's Lot

Suspiria

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (part 1)

The Amityville Horror (part 1)

The Car

The Entity

The Exocist (part 1)

The Hand

The Haunting

The Howling (part 1)

The Omen (part 1)

The Possessed

The Shining (Proly my all time favorite had nightmares for weeks when i 1st seen it on HBO)

The Thing

Trilogy of Terror

gonna have to check out all the older ones for sure. :)

"The Mummy" scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. Watching it on Creature Features (any New Yorkers here) gave me nightmares. The scene where he was wrapped alive was terrifying."

I was going to say the same thing oreocat!

That movie was on a few times a year(it seemed like it was anyway and yes, I was a Creature Feature fan from NY too.) and everytime I'd sit there and watched like it was the first time. And the part where they said he had his tongue removed and we see him being wrapped would always creep me out.Those eyes looking helplessly and the fear in them....Oy! It also had that grainy black and white look in the flashback scenes to make it seem really old,that just added to the creepiness.

"The House On Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price was

another that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid."

Another good one, but the only thing that was scary was that crazy looking old woman that floated across the screen out of nowhere! I still hate looking at her!

Did anyone ever see Horror Hotel? Loved that as a kid too. And Fiend Without a Face.(the brain and spinal cord monster!- hilarious, yet disgusting) That one is a "so-bad-it's-good" film.

I think my most favorite were the vincent price movies, especially his Dr Phibes series that he did. He could scare the hell out of you without all the guts and gore well ok maybe some but not like today's movies. Psycho with Anthony perkins loved the scene with janet Leigh in the Shower gets me everytime, Linda Blair in the exorcist and the ones that followed. All of the hammer films and Lon chaney and lets not forget Boris Karloff and Christopher Lees movies

I forgot to add some more here but upon thinking I was also thinking of Dementia 13 and Carnival of souls some really good Psychological thrillers. I also remember seeing Hell house as a teen and had nightmares from it. Steven kings Rose Red. Loved Carrie as well brings back memories as a kid being picked on Love it when she got them all.

I guess with all the previous posts that I did I really like quite a few but here's some more, Night Breed, Children of the corn, Hell raiser, Alfred Hitchcocks the Birds, Christine, Rosemary's baby, the mask of red death. I am sure that more will come to follow once I think of some more that ive seen

ok I am adding another one even though this one is more of a psychological thriller "Whatever happened to Baby Jane" this movie paired two movie Icons Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. and it was a awesome movie.

The Exorcist of course. That was a scary movie. Audrey Rose also creeped me out. The psychological thriller scare me was more than the slasher films. I love the ending of Rob Zombies The Devil's Rejects that has to be my favorite ending of a movie.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Loved Whatever Happened to Baby Jane too! Both stars were great in it,especially Davis,who is one of my faves. That makeup job was hideous!

One more movie I can think of that kind of scared me as a kid was the Blob. I don't know why but it just did. Something about a slow moving mass of killer jello creeped me out a bit.

Oh, and The Birds always freaked me out when I was little too.

The Val Lewton thrillers Cat People, Curse of the Cat People, The Seventh Victim and The Ghost Ship (while not technically classified as horror movies) top my list for scares.

Horror went through a real dry spell but came back with a vengence in the 1970s. The best of newer horror movies are the ones that reserve gore for truly gruesome shock value. In this catagory I put the original Halloween (hardly any blood at all), The Exorcist (the original version), Christine (same) and Ghost Ship, the completely different film to the aforementioned Lewton classic - this one about a derelict luxury liner, the Antonio Graza that holds chilling secrets for its salvage crew headed by Gabriel Burne.

In terms of a movie that actually scared or bothered me, The Excorcist would have to be my number one. I was about 12 when I saw it in the theatre and some of those images stayed with me for months. That combined with all the "publicity" at the time of real possessions and strange happenings on the set of the movie gave it just enough of an edge to be disturbing. No other movie ever stuck in my mind like that.

The original Alien.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!************%%%%%%%%%!!!!!!!!!! If you've never seen the movie!

Most of us know about and are prepared for it now, but sitting in that theater (with a bunch of friends, late-20s or so..... When that "thing" burst forth - I'm glad I was in full command of my bodily functions! NEVER has anything stayed with me like that - and, yes, The Exorcist profoundly "got to" me - but not like that "thing" - the alien - and, then, of course all that came afterwards. Watching the sequels, one is prepared, and it's just gross, but...... Whew!