Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David Bowie has Died!

Arturo

He had cancer. I just mentioned the other day on the Elvis thread that an alternate celebration on January 8 (they shared the same birthday), that some early Bowie movies could be shown on that.day.

There goes a part of my youth and early adulthood. I went yesterday to Amoeba and bought his latest.cd,.which sounds like classic era Bowie. Rest in Peace.

• Like 9

Such very sad news.  I was lucky to see him in concert several times in the 70s.  Needless to say, his shows were thrilling.  What an original. 

A friend was talking about seeing his musical, "Lazarus," with Michael C. Hall, in New York.  Maybe it will eventually come to the west coast.

• Like 1

While I was never a fan of his music, it's still very sad to hear this news. I know he was beloved by many.

LABRYINTH was screened on 35mm last summer at the Capitol Theater. I attended because this was one I'd never seen before. The armadillo in his trousers was most distracting, but he gave a decent performance.

I had read about Bowie in Rolling Stone/Creem some music rag early in his career where he said he just wanted to be a STAR. He openly admitted to copying others musically, copying "personas", etc just to find the right combination to get attention & "hit big".

That attitude kind of turned me off to his artistic endeavors.

Turned off or not, he was too young to go. He brought pleasure to many.

• Like 1

While I was never a fan of his music, it's still very sad to hear this news. I know he was beloved by many.

LABRYINTH was screened on 35mm last summer at the Capitol Theater. I attended because this was one I'd never seen before. The armadillo in his trousers was most distracting, but he gave a decent performance.

I had read about Bowie in Rolling Stone/Creem some music rag early in his career where he said he just wanted to be a STAR. He openly admitted to copying others musically, copying "personas", etc just to find the right combination to get attention & "hit big".

That attitude kind of turned me off to his artistic endeavors.

And yet be became known for his artistry. He was one of the most creative musical artists of the past half century.

We've lost a true rock and roll heavyweight this time - as well as a fairly decent actor. I was reminded of his acting talent when I watched 'The Hunger' recently.

• Like 5

David's last single - released last month - becomes rather cryptic with his death today.

As this article states - Fans are now reinterpreting lyrics on the experimental, jazz-influenced album, particularly its second single, which begins with the line: ‘Look up here, I’m in heaven’. 

Read more here:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/look-m-heaven-david-bowie-101335632.html

• Like 1

This wasn't news I needed to read this morning. Bowie is my favorite solo artist in all of rock. Like others have said, I had no idea he was even ill. This is rough. My sympathies go out to his family and friends. The world got a lot less interesting today.

Heard the news this morning just after 6, on my clock radio. Couldn't believe how sad I felt; but because I actually don't get up til 7, I went back to sleep - all through my dreams was the song "Ashes to Ashes". 

Although I lost touch with his newer music (which I've heard is very good), I will never forget his earlier recordings, especially those from  around 1970 - 85. 

Like Arturo, David Bowie's music was a part of my youth; for a while, songs like "Changes", "Five Years",and "Heroes" were part of the soundtrack of my life.

He was a huge talent, and a profound influence on countless artists, musical and otherwise. He will be missed.

• Like 3

it should also be mentioned that Bowie was a natural and very compelling actor whose scattershot credits contain a lot of weird ****, but also a fair amount of successes- ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS, THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, THE HUNGER, BASQUIAT and (of course) LABYRYNTH.

Really, I'm as sad about the fact that we've lost a really good actor as anything else about the news today.

• Like 3

Was never that big a Bowie fan, IF "fan" could actually be used...

But, he did put out a few tunes I liked, and did some decent acting, although I have to be honest and say INTO THE NIGHT was the ONLY movie I ever saw him in,  But some I know who've seen his other film work assure me he was fairly good.

I'd add that he probably invented  the genre of "Glam-Rock" and added a new dimension in popular music presentation, along side others like ELTON JOHN and ALICE COOPER.

And let's not forget, like his music or not, death is always tragic to friends and remaining family members, and as Bowie had much respect among his peers and contemporaries, he'll be missed from several sides. 

I'll also have to add that the only Bowie recording I ever paid money for was the recording of PETER AND THE WOLF  he narrated in '78 with the Philadelphia Orchestra

Sepiatone

• Like 1

it should also be mentioned that Bowie was a natural and very compelling actor whose scattershot credits contain a lot of weird ****, but also a fair amount of successes- ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS, THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, THE HUNGER, BASQUIAT and (of course) LABYRYNTH.

Really, I'm as sad about the fact that we've lost a really good actor as anything else about the news today.

'Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence' (1983) is another highly regarded Bowie movie. Possibly his best.

• Like 3

On the way to the gym today, I just happened to catch NPR's 2002 interview with David Bowie (about 30 minutes). David explained quite a bit of his early years in music  - -  what he did, why and how. He never really liked performing. His interests were in creating and putting together his shows. The only reason he performed them onstage was to see if everything worked well. After several performances of a good show, he would become bored with it - wanting to move on to other projects.

I can understand that.

• Like 1