Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOLDEN GLOBES 2016

sapphiere

How disappointing to read the tweet that the HFPA has asked Ricky Gervais to return next year to host. He thinks he is so funny with his glass of beer on the podium, and some of his words bleeped out. A few of the presenters did the same stupid thing. I do not understand why entertainers can`t censor themselves. The comics of the past got their joke across in a clean way. I watch the show because I enjoy going to the movies, and it is interesting to see who wins.

How disappointing to read the tweet that the HFPA has asked Ricky Gervais to return next year to host. He thinks he is so funny with his glass of beer on the podium, and some of his words bleeped out. A few of the presenters did the same stupid thing. I do not understand why entertainers can`t censor themselves. The comics of the past got their joke across in a clean way. I watch the show because I enjoy going to the movies, and it is interesting to see who wins.

I can see your point, Sapphiere and concur with it, but I must admit I do enjoy his ability to skewer the extreme pomposity of much of the attending audience with his jabs. The show reminded me of parties I'd been to, where some people are a delight, some full of themselves, and there is always the guy or girl over by the drinks who can't stop telling you all about themself and their life journey. The part with Ricky introducing Mel Gibson was memorable for sure.

I like Leonardo Di Caprio but The Revenant is just 90 minutes of grimaces.  I suppose it is no surprise that it has impressed voters.

A truly brilliant performance by Bryan Cranston in Trumbo was overlooked.

Ehh, these awards shows are all bs anyway - especially the Oscars.

At least the GG's kind of admit as much by hiring bubble-bursters like Gervais to point it out.

• Like 3

Ehh, these awards shows are all bs anyway - especially the Oscars.

At least the GG's kind of admit as much by hiring bubble-bursters like Gervais to point it out.

The film critics awards are getting to be just about as bad.   I think this is due to the 'new wave' of journalistic critics in print and on television who have grown up on Star Wars (no offence) and the like and couldn't recognize true quality if they tripped over it.

How's that for an old codger statement!

• Like 3

The film critics awards are getting to be just about as bad.   I think this is due to the 'new wave' of journalistic critics in print and on television who have grown up on Star Wars (no offence) and the like and couldn't recognize true quality if they tripped over it.

How's that for an old codger statement!

Tell those damn kids to get off your lawn!

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice the Leonardo DiCaprio-Kate Winslet reunion, 18 years after they were both nominated for Golden Globes as the stars of "Titanic"? They didn't win in 1998, but they both picked up awards Sunday night.

leo-kate-titanic-reunion.jpg

They were nominated for Golden Globes as best actor and best actress in REVOLUTIONARY ROAD in 2008. Kate received the award that year, but Leo did not.

• Like 1

They were nominated for Golden Globes as best actor and best actress in REVOLUTIONARY ROAD in 2008. Kate received the award that year, but Leo did not.

Actually, Winslet won twice at the 2009 awards. She also was honored as a supporting actress for her performance in the drama "The Reader." She went on to win the Best Actress Oscar for that film.

DiCaprio and Winslet also were nominees at the 2012 awards. She won the award for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film as the title character in HBO's "Mildred Pierce." He was nominated as Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama for his portrayal as longtime FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in Clint Eastwood's "J. Edgar."

Last night's win for DiCaprio was his third. Winslet has won four times.

• Like 1

Actually, Winslet won twice at the 2009 awards. She also was honored as a supporting actress for her performance in the drama "The Reader." She went on to win the Best Actress Oscar for that film.

DiCaprio and Winslet also were nominees at the 2012 awards. She won the award for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film as the title character in HBO's "Mildred Pierce." He was nominated as Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama for his portrayal as longtime FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in Clint Eastwood's "J. Edgar."

Last night's win for DiCaprio was his third. Winslet has won four times.

So in short, they're both Golden Globe faves.

I like Leonardo Di Caprio but The Revenant is just 90 minutes of grimaces.  I suppose it is no surprise that it has impressed voters.

A truly brilliant performance by Bryan Cranston in Trumbo was overlooked.

I'm surprised the director didn't have a leaches scene to ensure Di Caprio would win.   

So in short, they're both Golden Globe faves.

Yes, but it's been different for them at the Academy Awards. DiCaprio has never won despite five nominations. Winslet holds the record for most nominations by an actress -- five -- by the age of 31. But she didn't win an Oscar until 13 years after her first nomination.

I still have a feeling that DiCaprio will win the Best Actor Oscar this year. We'll find out about the nominations on Thursday morning.

• Like 2

Leonardo and Kate have always been good friends. I adored their movie REVOLUTINARY ROAD which was directed by Kates`s ex husband Sam Mendes. Michael Shannon who was also in the movie and nominated last night for 99 HOUSES WAS NOMINATED FOR RR. Toby McGuire is also a friend of Leo`s, and it was nice that he introduced THE REVELANT.

• Like 1

I can see your point, Sapphiere and concur with it, but I must admit I do enjoy his ability to skewer the extreme pomposity of much of the attending audience with his jabs. The show reminded me of parties I'd been to, where some people are a delight, some full of themselves, and there is always the guy or girl over by the drinks who can't stop telling you all about themself and their life journey. The part with Ricky introducing Mel Gibson was memorable for sure.

There has been a lot of flap over Mel Gibson even being invited to the ceremonies. He wasn`t involved in any new movie. Mel was asked to present  from MAD MAX FURY ROAD. Ricky Gervais got into a offensive banter with him. Mel is as popular as Michael Richards.Some unfortunate comments are hard to forget.

• Like 3

There has been a lot of flap over Mel Gibson even being invited to the ceremonies. He wasn`t involved in any new movie. Mel was asked to present  from MAD MAX FURY ROAD. Ricky Gervais got into a offensive banter with him. Mel is as popular as Michael Richards.Some unfortunate comments are hard to forget.

see: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/didn-hear-ricky-gervais-mel-gibson-article-1.2492134

& http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ricky-gervais-doesn-soften-jokes-golden-globes-article-1.2491983

:lol:

They bleeped so much of the comments between them after Mel said that bit about Gervais being a prompt for him for his yearly "colonoscopy" that I wondered what was said, Sapphiere.

Did you catch the bit at the end, when Gerrvais said something about goodbye from him and Mel, and "Shalom"?

By the way, Mel has now taken over the title belt for looking like DEATH WARMED OVER from the perennial winner, Keith Richards.

• Like 2

&  "Damon at least had the decency to look a little sheepish when Gervais dinged his movie, The Martian, for nominating itself in the comedy category, in a crass (and successful) bid to win some Golden Globes."

:lol:

Mr6666, did you get the dig by Gervais when he introduced Damon as the only person that Ben Affleck has been faithful to?

I think the Brits have more humor and ability to take it, than we in the colonies, which is why the Hollywood contingent are so wimpy about it and can't take a joke, particularly the really brutally honest digs.

• Like 2

I muted most of Gervais's comments and concentrated on the awards and clothing.  The rest of the bleeps were done by the show.

What surprised me was that there was no memorial tribute.  The Globes usually do a great job with them and I am puzzled as to why they left it out.  Without many of these departed there might not be the industry that is giving the nominees/winners the chance to practice their craft.  BOO!   

Last year it was J. K. Simmonds, this year Sylvester Stallone.  The supporting actor category is turning into the most interesting one of late. 

The clothes were just so-so but maybe my taste doesn't match the current fashion style. 

Sylvester Stallone finally wins an award for playing Rocky Balboa -- and actually thanks his famous boxing character during his acceptance speech. But he initially forgets to mention his "Creed" co-star Michael B. Jordan, as well as the filmmaker who came up with the idea for the "Rocky" spinoff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sylvester-stallone-michael-b-jordan-ryan-coogler-golden-globes_569315b2e4b0cad15e654d7c

gty_sylvester_stallone_award_mt_160110_3

I watched the show last night, mostly to see what everyone is wearing.  Like Ricky Gervais had to constantly reiterate last night, the awards themselves don't really mean anything, as often times, the winner of the Golden Globe loses at the Oscars.  The Golden Globes are almost like the wild card award, anyone can win.  I do like the Golden Globes because it's one of the few award shows where the TV and Movie people intermingle and the free-flowing booze can make for some hilarious moments.

However.

Last night's award show to me felt like a disjointed mess.  They've had a year to work on this and it seemed like they threw it together in a week.  Ricky Gervais I know isn't a popular host, but I don't think that's necessarily because he's terrible, I think it's because his sense of humor isn't compatible with the American audiences.  He's very dry and cutthroat.  The only joke of his that I thought was in really poor taste was when he was going on and on about Jeffrey Tambor's nether regions.  From the look on his face, Tambor didn't appreciate it either.  His funniest joke however was when he introduced Matt Damon by saying "The only person Ben Affleck has been faithful to.... Matt Damon!"  

With all that said, I do prefer Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's hosting, but after three years, I can see why they might have wanted to take a break.  

The worst moment of the evening for me was Jonah Hill's stupid, idiotic bear bit.  It started out somewhat amusing, but quickly became stupid.  When he was obviously bombing (bombing hard too), then he went blue and started swearing.  Jane Fonda and her date's faces during the bit were the funniest moments of the whole debacle.  

My favorite moment of the show was when Lady Gaga bumped into Leonardo DiCaprio's arm as she walked up on stage.  The look on his face afterward was priceless.

My second favorite moment of the show was when Ricky Gervais was talking about how people only show up to the Golden Globes because their awards have already been paid for and the cameraman panned to Harvey Weinstein (from Miramax and someone who is notorious for spending lots of money on heavy award campaigns for his stars and films).  That was hilarious.  

I missed half of the show however because of all the censorship.  Either the presenters were really cursing up a storm on stage or the person in charge of censorship was holding the button down too long.  

Someone mentioned the missing "In Memoriam" segment.  I don't think it was something that was purposely omitted.  I don't recall The Golden Globes ever having an "In Memoriam" segment.  

---

My favorite Golden Globes moments of all time are:

1) Ving Rhames giving Jack Lemmon his award.

2) Christine Lahti winning an award while she was in the bathroom.

3) Emma Thompson coming on stage, martini in one hand, shoes in the other and presenting an award.  I think she preceded to throw her shoes on the floor.  That was funny.  Maybe she should host the next awards.

• Like 3

They bleeped so much of the comments between them after Mel said that bit about Gervais being a prompt for him for his yearly "colonoscopy" that I wondered what was said, Sapphiere.

Did you catch the bit at the end, when Gerrvais said something about goodbye from him and Mel, and "Shalom"?

By the way, Mel has now taken over the title belt for looking like DEATH WARMED OVER from the perennial winner, Keith Richards.

Ricky tweeted what he said to Mel. Two nasty words were includes. I wish I was backstage with a bar of soap.