Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jknitty

I've just discovered old movies.

Well, I didn't JUST discover them. But I've just really gotten into them. It will sound insulting at first, but I had horrible insomnia. I needed to find something to watch that was commercial-free (can't stand commercials) and something I could fall asleep to.

I found TCM and started watching. LOL, I got too HOOKED on the movies to fall asleep! But that's ok, it was like discovering a whole new world of films. I've always been a movie buff, and had watched some old ones, but never like now. Now all I want to watch is TCM. My husband is happy because he's always loved old films, but stopped watching them because I wasn't much interested.

Now we enjoy discovering movies that are new to us all the time. I watched Edward, My Son last night--Spencer Tracy and Deborah Karr (Kerr?) 1949 and was hooked through the whole thing.

I've discovered what all the fuss is over Bette Davis (she's AMAZING), I've found that Joan Crawford was an incredible actress (all I knew about her was from Mommie Dearest).

I joke that even the "bad" classic films are good to me. And they are. Now I'm gathering a DVD collection. I got The Glass-Bottom Boat and Murder by Death recently because I thought both of them were just cheeky fun.

Anyway, thanks TCM. Don't EVER stop showing old films without commercials. I'd go through withdrawal. And I can't find many other people besides my husband who love old films, so I came to this forum.

Kathy

Hi Kathy, I'm glad that you have been "hooked" by these oldies. You just can't beat them for entertainment value. I'm not much on what comes out of Hollywood today and yet I can sit and watch hours full of oldies (b&w's) and never get tired of seeing them. Some I just run over and over on sleepless nights.

Glad to have you here! Most of my favorites are late 30's thru mid 40's. A lot of war (Pacific theater) and comedies.

jerry c

Yes, WELCOME!

Not only are commercials on AMC odious -- it's the WAY they run their ads. They just masticate the movies, cutting anywhere it serves the ad budget, often in the middle of a wonderful moment. It shows a total lack of respect of the form and is a cynical way of treating its viewers. As if viewers don't know better or care.

Long Live TCM.

Jerry, that's the thing: I'm sick and tired of the crap movies that come out nowdays (and for the past several years). Probably 95-99% of it isn't even worth renting from Blockbuster, much less going to the theater to see.

My favorite era is 30s and 40s, too. I absolutely LOVE the comedies. But oddly, while I don't like most modern dramas, I do love the old dramas. That surprised me a lot. And the gangster films. My husband is bigger on the war films and westerns than I am, although I did watch From Here to Eternity the other night and loved it.

He got me some Laurel and Hardy DVDs recently and I'm in LOVE. They were fantastic.

Oh and corny, goofy movies from the late 50s and 60s. Those kill me. Even the stupid ones are entertaining. If they're *really* bad, we just make up funny dialogue to say over it.

JHaft: I have to say hear hear to your post. I absolutely detest commercials anyway, but to stick them all over in those great old films just seems like sacrilege. It's just *wrong.* And distracting.

And I love that guy who intros all the movies (Robert Osbourne? Sorry, not sure on his name). I like hearing all the little details about it. Then I'll end up looking up the film on imdb.com if I want to know more and then maybe check out the price of the DVD, if it's out.

Anyway, I agree: long live TCM.

?LOL, I got too HOOKED on the movies to fall asleep!?

Me too. I?ve got my DVD rigged up to play movies on my bedroom TV, while I record movies on my office satellite system on my VCR.

I have watched ?The General Dies at Dawn? at least 20-30 times, but I?ve never seen the end of it. It puts me to sleep the fastest of any movie. Also, Shanghai Lil is pretty good too. Something about the trains, I guess. I think the constant ?clackiety clack? of the train wheels is what does it.

Telling secrets I don't normally share: I have no clue how Citizen Kane ends. Yeah, I know best movie EVAR. I've never seen the last twenty minutes. It bugs the crap out of me that I haven't seen it. But I fall asleep every single time.

Sometime I should just buy the DVD and cue it to that last part and just watch that.

Well, at the end, Kane joins the War effort and becomes a spy for the OSS. He parachutes into Germany and sneaks around among the underground movement in Europe, bumping off Nazis. He meets this beautiful German girl named Rosebud. They fall in love. She gets murdered by the Nazis, and Kane never gets over it. He speaks her name as his final word on his death bed.

Uh...right, Fred...time for me to get back to the real Earth the rest of us are on, lol.

As to Citizen Kane, I also find I always fall asleep in it, usually around the jigsaw scene. Great cure for insomnia. So's 2001.

Sorry, that was meant to go in the Casablanca thread about where Treasure of Sierra Madre is on the list.

LOL, see Fred's what's Fred's observations do to me.

LOL, I have no idea what the last few posts were about, but that's ok.

I love 2001. That's one I've liked for quite a while. I agree, it's great to fall asleep to, all those long scenes with either classical music or complete silence. Problem is, the later scenes might wake you up. I'm thinking specifically of the one where the alarm is going off constantly or where HAL is being shut down. I once fell asleep to 2001 only to be jarred awake by that and I was completely disoriented, LOL.