Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mis-cast & your picks ? And who instead ?!

For me, I would have to say, & she is my co-favorite actress of all time, w/ Merle Oberon & that was Audrey Hepburn as Rima, in Green Mansions. She just seemed out of place, tho' I still watch it now & again ! And her then husband Mel hand pickhed her . And as good as he can sometimes be, Anthony Perkins did not deliver a great role, as he did in Fear Strikes Out.

I would have been more sold on Jennifer Jones, maybe Maureen O'Hara & had she been younger, I think Simone Simon would have made a great Rima.

I also feel, as great as he was, Gary Cooper was not the best choice for The Cowboy & The Lady - sure, he was a Cowboy as the title suggests, but to me, he simmed stiff & out of place in that role; maybe James Stewart ?

Dietrich as Domini in "Garden of Allah" It's hard to believe she'd selflessly let him go back to the monastery like that at the end. Though she does have a streak of nobility in her characters--she took a bullet for three of her lovers--in "Destry", "Rancho Notorious" and "Dishonored" and followed Gary Cooper into the desert. But I still think the part could have been better played by someone like Garbo.

Katharine Hepburn in "Dragon Seed." I realize it was common practice to have non-oriental people playing orientals in Hollywood in the 40's but, blue eyes? On a Chinese woman? She played the role well enough, but those blue eyes threw me for a loop everytime they did a close-up on her.

Hello,

I like John Wayne.

However. John Wayne as Genghis Khan? Bad...bad.

BTW: The movie is "The Conqueror".

Everybody knows that odd bit of casting? Okay...bad casting and hideous make-up? Burgess Meredith as Charlie Lightcloud in "Stay Away, Joe".

Are you saying, "well, it's only an Elvis movie"? Has anyone watched that thing, particularly--Mr. Meredith? Bad...bad.

Rusty

There are many complaints that Norma Shearer was too old to play Juliet in 1936. Personally, I think Norma's performance is marvelous. But I wonder if Anita Louise might have been better cast.

Another marvelous performance but an odd piece of casting is Raymond Burr in Station West (1948). According to the novel by Luke Short, the character Burr plays should have looked more like Robert Preston.

I read the book "Hotel" before seeing the movie. Three characters stood out as miscast in my opinion. The description of the hotel manager fit Clint Walker more than Rod Taylor (although, Taylor probably was a better choice for acting ability alone.) The hotel thief, Keycase Milne, was not built anything like Karl Malden and Richard Conte was nothing like the described house detective. Conte could have played Milne. The detective could have been played by William Conrad.

On the positive side, Michael Rennie is very well cast as the British nobleman.

CharlieT

Another role for Gary Cooper was "The Adventures of Marco Polo." The ultra American Cooper seemed out of place as a 17th(?) century Italian.

Errol Flynn or Ronald Colman, though they are no more Italian than Cooper, would seem to fit better.

OK, you can play Tony Perkins, but how about Pier Angeli as Rima?

My choice for Ashley Wilkes in Gone With the Wind would be Laurence Olivier. Leigh and Olivier were real-life lovers at the time. I've always had trouble believing that any woman in her right mind would ignore Clark Gable to go chasing after Leslie Howard.

In the book, Scarlett was only 16 years old at the time of the first picnic at Twelve Oaks. Rhett was much too old for her and too powerful of a character. Ashley was cute and wimpy enough for her. Laurence Olivier would have been too powerful for her character that early in the movie. The whole idea about Scarlett and Ashley was that she had a fantasy school-girl crush on him, and she didn?t get over it for a long time. Finally she realized that she had grown up and was stronger than he was. She aged about 10 or 11 years during the movie.

Well, OK, Dobbsy, cute and wimpy would be more faithful to the book. I won't argue with you there. But whoever plays Ashley has to be sexier than Clark Gable. That's a tall order!

John Wayne as Frank 'Spig' Wead in "Wings of Eagles".This film, in my opinion,

was the only bad Ford-Wayne[2 stars or less] film. Ford could have the discipline that Zanuck gave to his films at 20th Century Fox and Wayne was miscast.I've wondered how Gregory Peck would have been in the lead.Peck was very good in a biographical roles.

In " Double Indemnity" I think someone like Lana Turner would have been better in the lead role. That blonde hair on Stanwyk just does not go, they should have kept her brunette at least- she is sooooo hot in The Lady Eve with the lovely brown locks!

One of the worst miscasting's of all time has to be Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby! What were they thinking? A better choice would have been Steve McQueen. Steve was great at conveying emotions with his face and especially those gorgeous blue eyes. He didn't have to use words to express how he felt. Gatsby I felt always had a mysterious air about him and Steve could have done a much better job at being mysterious than Redford did.

My choice for miscast would be a director. How could anyone have chosen Sir Richard Attenborough to direct the film version of A Chorus Line? My choice to have directed it would have been Herbert Ross, who had stage experience with musicals.