Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

if you could have lunch...

I would like to go to lunch with Errol Flynn. He probably would'nt show up, or he'd stiff me with the check, or it would end up in a brawl and we'd be thrown out of the restaurant or arrested.

Failing that, I would have loved to go to an intimate lunch with Kathrine Hepburn. I always considered Kathrine Hepburn to be highly erotic. The sight of her climbing into the African Queen after her bathe always drives mr crazy.

Regards

Joseph Cotten. I just read his book - from the dozens and dozens of film star autobiographies I've read, he seems to be one of the most down-to-earth, regular guys out there. That's not to say he's bland - he threw in a few spicy stories here and there, and he worked with some of the best filmmakers of his time.

I would have chosen Charlie Chaplin, but depending on who you ask, an hour with him would either leave you spellbound or bored to tears (and either way, it would be a one-sided conversation).

Kitty Carlisle Hart recently performed at a nightclub in San Francisco and I was lucky enough to be able to attend. She really is a marvel at 95; singing and telling stories from her amazing life. I hope someone is writing down all of her memories. I felt very fortunate to get a first-hand view of those times...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/broadway/stars/images/hart_k_pic2.jpg

Stephen King - hey, he does make movies - and he has done cameos - so I'm considering him an 'actor'. Ok, ok, I'm stretching things - - a lot - - - lol. But, you can not begin to imagine how much I want to meet this man.

To be TRUE to the question - Claude Rains.

I forgot to add Toshiro Mifume to my fantasy lunch. He was a facinating man. And James Shigeta. just because he's so handsome and has one of those voices you could listen to for hours.

Interesting juxtaposition of these two. You'd find them quite different, apart from the inevitable difference between two individuals, since Mifune was a Japanese from Japan, whereas Shigeta's an American who happens to be of Japanese descent.

Several years ago, after reading Charlton Heston's autobiography, In the Arena, I was sufficiently annoyed by several passages in it to type up a list of objections and corrections and hand them to him at a local book-signing.

One of the things upon which I remarked was his referring to the "Japanese actors" he worked with in his 1976 film MIDWAY (full disclosure: the movie was produced by my cousin). I pointed out what I've written above: that apart from Mifune, the actors who played Japanese navymen in the film were, almost without exception, as American as Heston (and me); their ancestors merely came from a different place.

About five days after handing him my list of objections I received a typed five-page letter (on Heston's personal stationery) in reply. He conceded most of my points (including the above), and even promised to change factual errors for subsequent printings (though I don't know if there were any).

Heston has always been a very cordial, and even courtly man; I've never met an actor more willing to give autographs, or engage in polite discussion. In retrospect, the letter I received is a far better keepsake than the book, itself.

If memory serves, Mifume was born in China of Japanese parents. James Shigeta was born in Hawaii I believe. Both very fine actors.

No doubt they would be quite different. That's one reason I'd like to have lunch with them. It would be like one of our family get- togethers with the family from Japan and the ones from the states getting together. I don't get hung up on the lable thing. But, I can see that perhaps it a good idea to have difference noted in a book.

That's a great story about Heston taking the time to write a long letter to you and taking your advice.

• 4 weeks later...

That Raymond Daum was a lucky man to have been her friend for over 20 years. I would've liked to have had a nice vodka with her. I would've liked to lunch with Greer Garson (although she might talk me to death), Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and Lena Horne cause me and her could relate to some stuff.

I would like to have lunch with Ronald Coleman too, just to talk about his romances in movies he starred in- for example, my favorite is Imitation of Life, with Claudette Colbert. It almost brings tears to my eyes listening to his voice. The background music makes this very special too. I wish the major film studios would get back to how they made romance movies back in the 30's and 40's.

I think Errol Flynn was a future Rudolph Valentino because of the swashbuckling and swordplay which he did in alot of his movies. He was an actor that kept your attention the whole way through the film.

If I could have lunch with any of the greats it would probably be a group affair including Katherine Hepburn, Carey Grant, Spencer Tracy, Vivian Leigh, Audrey Hepburn, Olivia De Havilland, Humphrey Bogart, Lucille Ball, and Gregory Peck. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able eat anything because I'd probably have fainted from the sight of the first of them arriving!