Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christopher Lee As Count Dracula In The Hammer Films

My favorite Christopher Lee movie with him as Count Dracula is the 1969 Hammer Film, "Taste The Blood Of Dracula". I just got that film on DVD from Warner Brothers that has footage not shown on regular TV. The best of the Hammer Dracula's!

• 6 months later...

Taste the Blood of Dracula is my favorite Lee as Dracula movie. Though, not a Hammer film, I haven't seen Jess Franco's Count Dracula with Lee playing the title role alongside Klaus Kinski and the lovely Soledad Miranda.

I'll have to go with "Horror of Dracula" too.

Ive got every one except "Dracula:Prince of Darkness", which I'd love to get my paws on but it's quite expensive. Ive only seen it once in person, Borders has it up the street for like 27 bucks. It's been there for like a year.

I'll probabky end up just buying it and getting it over with. Actually, the way things go with me, I'll decide to just splurge on it, go up to buy it, and it will be gone!

I think "Horror of Dracula" is terrific and the best of the Hammer Dracula movies.

"Dracula Prince of Darkness" is a close second, but the death of Dracula is rather rushed and weak scene.

"Brides of Dracula" has Cushing as Van Helsing but no Lee. It is good, perhaps on par with "Prince of Darkness."

"Dracula Has Risen From the Grave" is okay. There are good moments, but overall, I think it is a missed opportunity and a weaker film than "Prince."

"Taste the Blood of Dracula" is very good, very interesting. In some ways, it isn't really a Dracula movie (and indeed, it was originally intended to have been done without Lee.) It is more a seamy side of Victorian England film in the Jekyll/Hyde or Dorian Gray tradition. I would say it was the last good Hammer Dracula movie.

"Scars of Dracula" is just terrible. I sat there and hated it. The movie plays stupid inversions on scenes from earlier Hammer vampire movies.

"Kiss of the Vampire" is a non-Dracula Hammer vampire movie. No Cushing no Lee, but well worth seeing.

Christopher Lee is the best Count, with Louis Jordan second(PBS miniseries), then Bela, but Bela does deserve a special title for being the first to take it from the stage to screen. How about the Mexican Count Dracula? he really was almost as good as Bela.

By Mexican Dracula, do you mean the guy who played the Count in the Spanish language version filmed at night on the Universal lot? (Carlos Villarias I think was his name.)

I had an odd reaction to the "Spanish Dracula." I found myself more involved with Renfield's suffering than anything else. Whenever I saw the Dracula in that version, I kept thinking "That guy has big ears." The actor who played Renfield and the actress (Lupita Tovar?) who played Mina were what I enjoyed in that film, which was not that much better than Browning's version.

But we seem to have drifted far from Christopher Lee...

• 3 months later...

> Ive got every one except "Dracula:Prince of

> Darkness",

That's my favourite. It's very dark, and it raises some interesting questions about monster hunters becoming monsters themselves. There's a very disturbing staking scene that raises even more questions about vampirism as a metaphor for female sexuality. And the vampire hunter/priest really creeps me out.

Terence Fisher liked to make out that he was just a craftsman making movies that were just entertainment, but I think he was more than that.

That scene, in which Helen (Barbara Shelley) is staked, always draws a lot of comment. It is very disturbing, because Helen had such a pathetic life before she became a vampire, and then she meets this horrific end.

"Dracula Prince of Darkness" is the last vampire film that Terence Fisher made. I think his films are far more interesting than they are usually given credit for.

• 3 weeks later...

It's tough to choose one favorite Christopher Lee, Hammer Dracula film, but probably if forced, I'd choose, Dracula (Horror of). I'm also a big fan of, Dracula-Prince of Darkness and yes, even the two 'modern' setting films; Dracula A.D. 1972 and Satanic Rites of Dracula, but I can watch and enjoy all Lee's Hammer efforts.