Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hitchcock Trivia

cutezz

Wowser. Musta been a harder question than I thought?

Sorry, gents. "Spellbound" was "Spellbound" pretty much from day one, and Hitch stuck to his guns on "Vertigo," insisting on that title for months, even though the studio hated it. (The suits figured few people in the audience knew what vertigo was.)

We'll have a hint later tonight, if no one has guessed the right title by then.

Dear CineSage--

Thanks for the amendment. I swear I've seen the composition listed as Storm Cloud Cantata in reference books that I have, but you phrase things like an expert. (Experts always underline.)

Must file away your tip in the old noggin'

Cordially,

Robert.

Message was edited by:

RobertEmmettHarron

Message was edited by:

RobertEmmettHarron

I'll take 'a shot in the dark', if I may...[oops]

"Young and Innocent" (1937) seems to have a movie poster accompanying it, showing the title "The Girl Was Young" [pause to scratch head]...Is there a story behind this?

"Downhill" also has a US title, "When Boys Leave Home"?

Are we on the right track...or should we be seeking a film that has an alternate British title?

I think I will explore this possibility further...

Was it also really the first movie to show a flushing toilet on camera?

"Psycho"...which seems to have had the working title "Wimpy" [!?] or another title: "Production 9401" [oooooh...how spine-chilling!]

> All right, all right. Time for hint #1.

> Forget about the Brithish period. You're looking for

> a film made after Hitchcock came to America in 1940.

No kinda hint for me. I knew from your wording of the clue it couldn't have been a British one.

I'm going to take a completely random stab and guess "I Confess."

Yeah, I apologize Mr. Write. I also thought the original question made it clear I was referring to an American film, but I was concerned about all the fine folks starting to tread down the primrose path that was leading to titles like "The Mountain Eagle" and "The Manxman."

Anyhow, neither "Psycho" nor "I Confess" is the title in question.

Let me try another clue, which may be a little more helpful.

Hitchcock wasn't any too happy with the film that is at the center of this inquiry.

And here, I think are the incorrect titles guessed so far:

Frenzy; Psycho; North By Northwest; Vertigo; Topaz; Family Plot; Suspicion; Spellbound; I Confess; No-No-Notorious (sorry, did it again); Shadow of a Doubt; Foreign Correspondent; and The Trouble With Harry. Apologies if I missed any.

Remember, lads, it's a title issued after 1939.

Yeah, I thought that too, that he wasn't real pleased with any of the plausible candidates remaining. But "Stage Fright" isn't the title I'm looking for.

Here's one more hint, and if this doesn't give away the game, I suppose I can supply a cast list or something.

Physical evidence of the last-minute title dithering remains to be seen on all extant prints of this film to this very day.

Archived