Hitchcock Trivia

cutezz

Family Plot (1976)

Frenzy (1972)

Topaz (1969)

Torn Curtain (1966)

Marnie (1964)

The Birds (1963)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (UK: complete title)

"The Alfred Hitchcock Hour"

- I Saw the Whole Thing (1962) TV Episode

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (17 episodes)

- Bang! You're Dead (1961) TV Episode

- The Horse Player (1961) TV Episode

- Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat (1960) TV Episode

- The Crystal Trench (1959) TV Episode

- Arthur (1959) TV Episode

(12 more)

Psycho (1960)

"Startime"

... aka Ford Startime

... aka Lincoln-Mercury Startime

- Incident at a Corner (1960) TV Episode

North by Northwest (1959)

Vertigo (1958)

"Suspicion"

- Four O'Clock (1957) TV Episode

The Wrong Man (1956)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

The Trouble with Harry (1955)

To Catch a Thief (1955)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief (USA: complete title)

Rear Window (1954)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window (USA: complete title)

Dial M for Murder (1954)

I Confess (1953)

Strangers on a Train (1951)

Stage Fright (1950)

Under Capricorn (1949)

Rope (1948)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's Rope (USA: complete title)

The Paradine Case (1947)

Notorious (1946)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious

Spellbound (1945)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound (USA: promotional title)

Watchtower Over Tomorrow (1945) (uncredited)

Lifeboat (1944)

Bon Voyage (1944)

Aventure malgache (1944)

... aka Alfred Hitchcock's Aventure malgache

... aka Madagascar Landing

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Saboteur (1942)

Suspicion (1941)

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

Rebecca (1940)

Jamaica Inn (1939)

And three cheers to our lucky winner, because the answer is indeed "The Paradine Case." It turns out that Executive Producer David O. Selznick repeatedly second-guessed the 1947 film's title (go figure) finally settling on "The Paradine Case" just hours away from the film's year-end premiere. The title had to be cut into the release print while the film cans were en route to the theater via train. This fact remains evident today because the words "The Paradine Case" are in a different typeface from that used for the remainder of the opening credits. And now we all know how long it's been since ya all last saw "The Paradine Case." Next question, please.

Not much of anything, really. I believe the Hitchens novel was titled "The Paradine Case" but Selnick was not especially keen on that. Spoto's Hitchcock biography mentions something like two dozen titles which Selznick's underlings debated throughout the production. Titles like "A Woman's Face" "Guilty?" "Murder Will Out" "Mrs. Paradine Takes the Stand" and "Guilty!" -- the latter of which was probably a little too much of a giveaway.

This question was debated by Selznick and co., of course, Hitchcock could not have cared less, having become thoroughly disgusted with Selznick's incessent meddling long before.

Here is my attempt at a trivia question [i am better at answering than I am at asking]:

Here are four of Hitchcock's films - Spellbound, The Paradine Case [i couldn't resist], Strangers on a Train and Torn Curtain - three of them share a particular characteristic [a trivial one]; one of them does not.

Which three have the commonality and which one does not belong, and why?

Well I thought I had the last one in the bag? Suspicion's title, at the very least, was changed after the movie's production.

I'll take a stab at the next one: Spellbound, The Paradine Case, and Strangers on a Train have one cast member in common? Leo G. Carroll (who also appeared in Hitchcock's Rebecca, Suspicion, and North by Northwest, but NOT in Torn Curtain).

I hope that's it!

Right or wrong, I'll offer up another: What is the only single year that a performance in a Hitchcock movie was represented in each of the four acting categories at the Academy Awards?

River33's answer was not the one I was thinking of, but is correct.

I was thinking of someone that appears in all four films, does something similar in three of them and something different in the fourth one.

While you think about that, I will think about River's question...

OK: I think I have it.

In three of the four movies Hitchock's cameo involves his carrying of a musical instrument (strings in each case): Spellbound (a violin), The Paradine Case (a cello), and Strangers on a Train (a double bass). In Torn Curtain, Hitchcock holds something different that creates sounds? a baby.

Glad I got one!

OK, I'll retype my trivia question:

What is the only single year that a performance in a Hitchcock movie was represented in each of the four acting categories at the Academy Awards?

Archived