Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cutezz

Hitchcock Trivia

Which episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is the only one in which Hitchcock makes a cameo appearance similar to the ones he makes in his features? (Give either the title, the two main stars, or the plot. Extra points for naming the author of the original story as well.)

You got it, mongo.

It was indeed "A Dip in the Pool," starring Steve McQueen and Peter Lorre, from the story by Raoul Dahl... the one where a strange little man bets a hunk showing off by a hotel pool that his cigarette lighter won't strike three times in a row.

Hitchcock's picture is on the cover of a poolside magazine.

Your go.

Here goes,

Who did Hitchcock want instead of Gregory Peck for "The Paradine Case"?

Which film was shot in the East End of London near Hitchcock's boyhood home?

vallo

MrWrite you got it, you win a collection of nothing from the Michael C.Fina Collection...Chicago 60609

your turn.

vallo

What actor in a Hitchcock film gained greater fame in another profession...in fact, the profession of the character he portrays in that film?

You are right, it's a "he." And the fame came subsequent to the Hitchcock appearance. (He wasn't hired because of his fame in the field.)

Actually, let me amend my last post: he did have some small success in his non-acting profession before making the Hitchcock film. But his breakthrough in that other profession came some years after the Hitchcock, and at the time of the movie in question, he was employed more often as an actor.

No, I think Gavin is still better known as an actor than an ambassador... wouldn't you agree?

Besides, he didn't play an ambassador in "Psycho." The person I'm thinking of played the profession he eventually had enormous success in.

HINT: He achieved his success under a different name, and his son now carries on the business, which continues to thrive today, if not so phenomenally as it once did.

What actor in a Hitchcock film gained greater fame in another profession...in fact, the profession of the character he portrays in that film?

Funny, I don't remember Paul Newman playing a race-car-driving, salad dressing entrepreneur in TORN CURTAIN.

And there was about a 25-year gap between John Gavin's appearance in PSYCHO, and his appointment as ambassador to Mexico.

Here's another hint...

Four years after his Hitchcock appearance, the actor in question was down to his last $200 bucks, with a wife and 2 kids to support. At which point--by doing what we see him doing in the movie--he had an enormous success, and within a few short years was worth millions.

Exactly right, path! Well done.

Bagdasarian, who played the songwriter in "Rear Window," would 4 years later write the song "My Friend the Witch Doctor," following it up with his creation of The Chipmunks, which became an instant phenom. (Bagdasarian is now better known, of course, as "Dave Seville") His son has run the Chipmunk empire since Bagdasarian's death.

Your turn.

Thanks!

LuckyDan posted an earlier Hitchcock trivia question, about how he had answered Tom Snyder when asked "what frightens you"? The correct response was "Policemen". However, the director actually had at least three other answers to that same question, one of which was (the stereotypical?): "That my next picture won't be as good as the last one".

Name at least one of the other things that frightened the "Master of Suspense".

... and I'm not looking for "eggs", lol!

Message was edited by:

path40a