cutezz

Just to repeat the current question...

> In what Hitchcock movie do the following words

> appear, and what are they from:

>

> "If you can meet with triumph and disaster,

> And treat those two imposters just the

> same..."

I've been sitting on this one because I don't have a good Hitchcock question to lob back to the rest of you (and that could be considered a hint to Mr. Write's question). I'll spill, but only if someone else can offer the next question...

Okay, no one else leapt in and I thought of another question (in case I'm correct), so here goes:

"If you can meet with triumph and disaster,

And treat those two imposters just the same..."

is from Kipling's poem "If" [which ends]:

"...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And -- which is more -- you'll be a Man, my son!"

The quote is seen at the tennis grounds after Guy's match in Strangers on a Train (and hence my allusion to not having a question "to lob back" to the rest of you.). Remember, the movie is all about the "twos" -- pairs. "two imposters" was very evident within the frame, and harkens to Bruno and Guy.

Now what was the question I was going to pose? Oh yeah, Hitch had a lot of themes that he used repeatedly over the course of his career. Some were narrative, some visual; and some aural. Now I'm thinking of that great, jarring sound editing when we see a woman scream but we actually hear the scream of a train whistle. Remember? It was featured in The Thirty-Nine Steps. But in what earlier movie did he use this same effect?

Oh brother, you're right! I should have kept my keyboard shut. Number Seventeen is precisely what I had in mind. When a dead body is found, the scream is masked by the train whistle. The shipwreck was in Rich and Strange. I didn't mean to throw you off, and apparently I didn't! Good job, path. And now, I believe the next Hitchock Trivia question is up to you...

Drat, I forgot about him!

Okay, here goes...

What do the following directors have in common, in regards to Hitchcock:

Anatole Litvak

Mervyn Leroy

Sidney Lumet

Henry Koster

Roman Polanski

Joseph Mankiewicz

Robert Siodmak

Terence Young

Archived