Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hitchcock Trivia

cutezz

Sorry. I was out getting my Macguffin waxed.

Here's one:

In what film (not by Hitchcock), via voice-over, is the meaning and history of the expression Que Sera Sera (from THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH's song) explained, though in its original Italian form (Che Sara Sara)?

Okey-dokey. Here's a little gem from Hitchcock's British period.

On the set of "Sabotage" Hitch incurred the wrath of leading lady Sylvia Sidney when he coined this nickname for Sidney's co-star Desmond Tester. (Tester played her kid brother "Stevie." What was the nickname?

Yes, sir. I'm most grateful that we can finally get beyond this question. Sir Alfred enjoyed calling the 16-year-old Tester Desmond ****, which the youth apparently thought was pretty darn funny. Sidney, not known for anything in the way of a sense of humor, thought it in unspeakably poor taste, which, of course, it was.

According to the McGilligan biography, Hitchcock was happy to pun on his own name as well. According to the author, he liked to urge people to call him by his nickname. "It's Hitch," he would say, "without the ****."

Take it away, CineSage, with a G-rated question if you would, please.

A thread about Alan Ladd elsewhere on this site brings to mind the fact that he wasn't Paramount's first choice for the role of Raven, the lead in THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1941), the film that made Ladd a star.

Who was the studio's preferred lead?

I knew that the script was the same for Zenda (same studio property), but I wasn't sure about Psycho. Had no idea about the scores. I wouldn't think that would even be legal in regard to the Hermann score for Psycho. I've never seen the modern Psycho, although I've seen the 1952 Zenda film, which is proof positive that if you don't have the director the material isn't gonna pull you through. Just a personal opinion, out of line here possibly, but if Richard Thorpe ever directed a decent film in his life I've yet to see it.

OK, off soapbox, next question...

Who is the only actor or actress to be directed by both Hitchcock and the great Danish master Carl Th. Dreyer?

This is going to seem lame compared to what I have read on your forum but what body of water does Tippi Hendren have to cross by boat to see Rod Taylor ?I hope this is considered Hitchcock trivia as well

Archived