Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the Name of This Film?

I remember seeing, back in 1978 on Los Angeles TV, this old black-n-white film, from circa mid-1940s. The plot was something like this: Every winter this rich family would leave their palatial New York City home and move to Florida for a few months. And every year this "bum"--who knew the family moved south each winter--would sneak into their home and live there until spring, when the family returned, never knowing he had been there.

Well, this winter, circumstances become such that the "bum" allows a young woman to temporarily stay with him in this huge mansion, but only for a while. Then one-by-one, more people move in, and chaos ensues. It was a romantic-comedy, I think.

I don't remember all the details. I definitely don't recall the film's title. But I DO know that I enjoyed watching it very much. Anyone recall this film?

• 1 month later...

I don't know the name of the movie, but I think it might be one with William Powell and Myrna Loy or a Ma and Pa Kettle movie. The movie The Farmer Takes A Wife, with Fred McMurray and Claudette Colbert, is a comedy. They lose their house in a fire and at the end of the film the community gathers to help them rebuild. Does this help?

• 7 months later...

It Happened on 5th Avenue on DVD

This is available on DVD from http://www.freemoviesondvd.com/ for $9.

I have nothing to do with the company, but I bought a copy, and although the video quality is very poor (appears to be a transfer from a VHS copied directly from a TV broadcast), at least I can now appreciate a wonderful movie I had never seen before.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Fred Goodwin

San Antonio, TX

Around Thanksgiving I found another site devoted to just this movie (I can't locate the site now). She was selling a DVD for $20 of a VHS transfer of a television broadcast. That, too, was not the best quality transfer, but it was good enough. I watched just the first ten minutes to make sure it was the movie I was indeed thinking of. It was. Then I brought it with me to the family Christmas gathering and we all watched it. They all loved it. It's a fun, charming, and enjoyable film.

It is "It Happened on 5th Avenue" Directed by Roy Del Ruth with Don DeFore, ....

Ann Harding , Charles Ruggles and Victor Moore.

Plot Outline: A hobo and friends take up residence in a mansion whilst the family is away on Christmas holiday.

Try Here:"http://imdb.com/title/tt0039502/

vallo