Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GILDA....an unfulfilling ending?

I recently made a post about this on another thread...but I thouhgt it should be discussed as a topic on its own!

Is anybody anoyed with the sweet "fairy tale" ending?

I usually like happy endings in films...but this made no sense!

I mean, the entire film was about the contradiction of lust and hate! It had really nothing to do with "love"! I just don't understand!

The ending goes against all the conventions of Film Noir!

Isn't the woman the dangerous female who is suppose to destroy the man, or be destroyed herself?

I mean, I just don't see Gilda running away with this man and having 10 kids with him! Its just rediculous to me! She's either suppose to die, kill her lover, or run away, or have an affair with another man..!!!!!!

It would have been a truly great film had it followed this convetnion (and I don't normally way that! but its true!)

Message was edited by:

charli

Message was edited by:

charli

Message was edited by:

charli

Ok, ok..... I don?t like the end of Gilda. In fact, I don?t like most of Gilda. First, the film made her seem like a bad woman all the way through it. Then at the end someone speaks up and says she wasn?t bad after all, because blah, blah, blah, she was only pretending to be bad, or something like that.

I thought Gilda herself looked pretty danged good, but I didn?t care much for the film.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I love Gilda, and yes, although the ending is very silly and kind of contradictory, I don't think this has to stop enjoyment of the film. All the way through there is very little dramatic structure - the whole film is more about mood and look, mise-en-scene, cracking dialogue, Rita Hayworth's star image. A rag-bag of gorgeous things. In a way the story doesn't matter - who cares about tungsten anyway?

The last scene with the music, and Rita waiting to go home, and Uncle Pio offering nectar - it has a kind of dreaminess which is quite appropriate really - it's the end of the story and the film and the audience has to go home too, and there's a sweet melancholy to it. The wrap-up is overly dramatic and silly - but so what? The crack in Glen's Ford's voice when he says 'Let's go home Gilda' gets me anyway. The detective has a line about 'I'm always a pushover for a love story' and that just about sums up the end of Gilda, for me, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, I was satisfied with the ending of Gilda. I really don't believe, despite what people said about her, that she was a bad woman. I just think she was young and thought jealousy was the way to get Johnny back. You could see the connection the two of them had right from the start; whether it was love or lust, the two were meant to be together. I just saw a yearning inside her right from the moment the two met, that she wanted him to take her in his arms and sweep her off her feet. But the both of them were very stubborn and they didn't want the other to know how they felt until the end. So when they ended up together at the end, it satisfied me, because I was routing for them all along.