Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
alix1929

Your Favorite Cult Movies

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show

2. Attack of the Killer Tomatos

3. Pricilla Queen of the Desert

4. Hairspray

5. Shock Treatment (Sequal to Rocky Horror Picture Show)

6. The Fearless Vampire Killers

"The Magnificent Seven" is my favorite cult movie. Bad guys turned good to help a poor Mexican village. Yul Brenner , Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson , James Coburn, Etc, Great cast ,and my favorite villain of all time the Mexican Bandit played by Eli Wallach. He played a better bad guy in this movie than in the "Good The Bad and The Ugly." It has so many moral messges that if you watch it you can skip church for a month of Sundays.

The movie is as good if not beter than the Japaness flim it was taken from "The Seven Samuri" a great film in it's self

The Magnificent Seven hardly fits the definition of a cult movie. It was a major studio blockbuster with a huge budget and lots of publicity. It is, however, unquestionably a classic.

Here's my two cents or rather five cents I guess.....

1. Strange Brew (1983) Bob and Doug McKenzie and their quest for free beer. Any movie that mixes three of my favorite things: beer, hockey and jelly donuts has got to be good.

2. Reservoir Dogs (1992) Quentin Tarantino at his best.

3. The Blues Brothers (1980) Belushi and Aykroyd at their best plus the soundtrack is awesome.

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) Randy Quaid as Cousin Eddy is hilarious.

5. Anything by Kevin Smith. Especially the earlier stuff..Clerks (1994) , Mallrats (1995), Chasing Amy (1997) All hilarious movies that are always fun to watch.

Bryan

Here ya go:

1. Eraserhead

2. Blue Velvet

3. Killer Klowns From Outer Space

4. Paris Trout

5. Carnival of Souls

hi, i am new to this message board in fact i rarely post on any board ( vouyrestic tendencies)

but i wanted to share my absolute adoration for film with others

so i suppose my listing of cult films would follow as such

1. eraserhead

2.begotten

3.madchelin in uniform

4. freaks

5.To live ( i am unsure if this would classify as a cult film)

6.twin peaks

7. roma

8.persona

9. rite of virgin spring

10. any early woody allen film, especially sleeper, and stardust memories

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" is one of my favorites. The line "you shall taste the black **** of my vengeance" is probably the best single bit of dialogue ever in a movie.

Two cult movies that REALLY need to be shown on TCM, or even better released on DVD are Phillip Ridgley's "The Passion of Darkly Noon" and "The Reflecting Skin." I have no idea why these aren't available.

LOL I forgot all about that movie. Poor Roger Ebert is stil embarresed that his name is associated with that movie, even though it is now a classic. I have written to TCM several times that they show "Valley of the Dolls" on tv but it seems AMC (what a strange name for a program no longer associated with classic movied) has the rights to it. Hopefully they will put "Beyond" on dvd as they are doing "Valley" next month.

"...the black **** of my vengeance" that will be iin my head all day LOL

John

"Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" was released the same day. It's a beautiful two disk set, with a commentary by Roger Ebert and another by the cast (Dolly Read, Cynthia Myers, John Lazar, etc). I'm not sure what's on the second disk yet, but it's apparently got some documentaries and other stuff.

This is the single best movie ever made. Period.

coffeedan1927 wrote:

> I was watching THE FOUNTAINHEAD again yesterday

> morning. This film was a perennial favorite at the

> old Movies Repertory Cinema in downtown Cincinnati,

> always on the request list every time I visited. I

> guess there was a legion of Ayn Rand's fans who kept

> it on the schedule.

Yeah, another vote for that one.

I'm nothing if not a subjectivist (lol), but I did like both the novel and the film. I think it's the futuristic glamor and romance of the story that I enjoyed. And I like modern architecture.

I don't know which movies are cult unless I am told, but apparently Somewhere in Time falls under the category, which I saw recently on DVD. It has its own fan club. I thought it was a very sweet film and beautifully shot.

Liquid Sky, Rocky Horror, Night of the Living Dead, Eraserhead, Santa Sangre, Satyricon, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Bubba Ho-Tep, just to name a few.

A few of my favorites:

An AMAZING Canadian film called THE BIG CRIMEWAVE. (Originally just CRIMEWAVE, the title was changed to avoid confusion with the Sam Raimi film of the same name...) Imagine if David Lynch went back in time to direct a Technicolor movie of LEAVE IT TO BEAVER...with Travis Bickle as the Beaver. This is a dark film, yet it's full of off-kilter humor.

A little-noted but excellent straight-to-video horror film called SCARECROWS. (Circa 1988 or so...) Good acting, a simple but solid story, great special effects and some genuine scares.

And one of my all-time favorites, IT'S A GREAT FEELING, starring Jack Carson as Jack Carson - actor, ham, liar. There's all sorts of subtext here, people! And Joan Crawford knitting! And slapping!

SCARECROWS is excellent! Very good movie, shame that the sequel planned by the director never happened. His working title was, "Scarecrows 2 - The Last Straw". LOL!

I think Fight Club is one of my all-time favorite cult movies. Anyone who likes bizarre movies, like Being John Malkovich, should try it out.

And the mention of The Fountainhead below in this thread reminds me that Brad Pitt (from Fight Club, so yes, there's a connection here) is supposed to play John Galt (the hero) in Atlas Shrugged in an upcoming production. I would guess he'd be one of the few stars who could play that part.

How about Young Frankenstein as a cult film? or Porky's?

Two of my faves (both from 1968) are:

Noel Black's amazing "PRETTY POISON"...which is surprisingly getting the DVD treatment and set for release on September 5th. Sadly...this disc doesn't feature Black's commentary that adorns the Region 2 release from two years back (or the superior cover art either). But hey...I never thought a proper release would happen...as I only knew a few others that had even seen this original, dark little picture. (The studio buried it upon release...it was screened in some markets as the second half of a double bill with Sinatra's "Lady In Cement") Both leads give some of their best work (Weld is especially on fire in this one) and the on-location setting of Great Barrington and North Adams, Massachusetts adds an extra sense of reality. Seek this one out!

Peter Bogdanovich's assured "official" debut "TARGETS" is all the more remarkable considering what the director was given to work with:

1.) He HAD to use stock footage from '63's "The Terror" and

2.) He HAD to hire Boris Karloff for two days...who only possessed half of one lung at this point, and was on oxygen throughout the shoot.

Yet what he created was a minor classic. It follows two storylines...an All-American boy who goes on a killing spree, and that of an aging horror movie star who knows his type of "horror" isn't relevant in today's world. I love that Karloff is clearly playing Karloff (the character in the film is named "Byron Orlok"...cool huh?) His scene where he spins a ghost tale for the reporter is a wonder.

"Targets" is a terrific movie. It is very funny and suspenseful, and has a sharp eye regarding Sixites American society. Karloff is great. The movie gave him a nice sendoff.

Odd that this is really the only violent Bogdanovich movie I can think of. Also a bit creepy in that Bogdanovich plays a director whose girlfriend gets shot.

The Toxic Avenger

Attack of the Killer Tomatos

Bloodfeast

Cannibal-The Musical

Orgazmo

and,uh,does Clue count as a cult movie?

because it rules

When I lived in Cleveland, Ohio, I would see "The Producers" (the original) and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" every year. Either Cleveland State or the New Mayfield would show one of them, and I'd always go, always laugh at the same jokes.