Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARX BROTHERS!

"Monkey Business." A lot of memorable scenes. The "closet" scene with Thelma Todd. The "Chevalier" bit trying to get off the boat. Groucho narrating the fight in the barn. Great dialogue. A favorite line is when a lady faints and Groucho urges the crowd to close in so she won't recover.

"Horse Feathers" and "Duck Soup" are at the top of my list with "MB."

Off the top of my head - What is the name of the play being worked on in "Room Service?".

• 2 months later...

For me, it's Animal Crackers. I got to see it in a movie theater when it was first re-released in the 70's, and I almost fell out of my seat at this part:

Groucho (to Dumont and the other woman - was it Lillian Roth?): You two have everything. You're tall and short and slim and stout and blonde and brunette. And that's just the kind of a girl I crave!

Trivia question: during the "Hurray for Captain Spaulding" number, Margaret Dumont sings, "You are the only white man to cover every acre." Groucho followed that with a "risque" line that was removed by the censors. What was the line?

• 4 weeks later...

I too saw Animal Crackers when it came out in the Seventies. I would watch the whole movie and then stay through the "Strange Interludes" routine, in which Groucho would step forward and talk to the camera. I thought that was the most hillarious thing.

However, I suppose my favorite would be drawn from the trio of Monkey Business-Horsefeathers-Duck Soup. Perhaps Duck Soup edges out the other two because it doesn't have a big musical interlude.

I saw Go West last summer and was very pleasantly surprised. The slam-bang railroad chase that concludes the movie is a lot of fun. Also, I liked the various references to Destry Rides Again and Stagecoach in that 1940 film.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got into the Marx Brothers when I rented A Night at the Opera from the library. I fell in love with them and since then (early this summer) I have bought two Marx Brothers dvd sets. (The Silver Screen Collection and the Marx Brothers Collection). I just can't get enough of them. I also found Harpo's autobiography (Harpo Speaks) and love reading that.

I would have to say though (even though all of their movies are funny) A Night at the Opera will always be my favorite because it was my first Marx movie.

• 3 weeks later...

I love them all! But the five Paramount movies are my favorites. I like them best because they were thee stars of the films. Plus they were more chaotic. A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA is underrated.

So what was that line that Groucho responded with?

I believe SalMarz was responding to alcr1, Mr. 1957. In her post she ended with this:

"Trivia question: during the "Hurray for Captain Spaulding" number, Margaret Dumont sings, "You are the only white man to cover every acre." Groucho followed that with a "risque" line that was removed by the censors. What was the line?"

We're still awaiting the answer...

Do you know about the "in response to" at the top of our posts? It not only shows us to whom the poster is responding, but also allows you to click on it to see the message that the poster is responding to. It's a cool feature. (Thanks TCM!)

Hope you can find the answer, Mr. 1957. I've been waiting months for the reply... :)

> I've been waiting months for the reply... :)

I've been waiting, too. So I did a Google search, and several sites had this as the answer:

Margaret Dumont: You are the only white man to cover every acre.

Groucho: I think I?ll try and make her?

Chorus: Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!

Here's a link to one of the sites: http://www.creemmagazine.com/_site/BeatGoesOn/MarxBrothers/SilverScreenCollection001.html.

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

It figures I'd be too late. I have a copy of Richard Anobile's "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" which is kind of a film strip with captions. This was done while "Animal Crackers" was still in its legal trouble. It was, at the time, the only way you could "see" it.

Thanks for your help DavidEnglish!!

• 1 year later...

Some years back (in the early eighties, I think), there was an off-Broadway play called A Day In Hollywood / A Night In The Ukraine. The first part was a send-up of Hays office censorship, and the second half was a comedy done in the style of the Marx Brothers, with the cast doing pretty good imitations of the Marxes and Dumont. They did a good job of duplicating the feel of Marxian comedy. Here are two examples:

"Groucho" (to "Chico," who's sitting at a piano): "Play that old song When I Was Eight And You Were Nine And We Were Seventeen."

The "Dumont" character was named Natasha. She was the usual rich dowager being romanced by Groucho. At one point, he sang her a song which included the lines:

Natasha! I'm enamored of you alone!

Natasha! How I worship the ground you own!

Did anyone else see this play?

• 4 months later...

"A Night With the Opera"

I love the scene when on the boat when Groucho is ordering food, "...and two hard boiled eggs." I also love the scene when Chico comes up on Groucho with his foot on Lassparri all the way up to the "Sanity Clause."

• 4 weeks later...

Groucho. followed very closely by Harpo. Followed very closely by Chico. But I would've liked to have met Chico most, because there is so little written about him....

Zeppo is said to have been the funniest in real life.....he must have been reeeeally funny......

There was so little written about Chico because he was always chasing girls or gambling.

My favorite Chico story was that someone asked him how much money he lost gambling. His answer was to find out how much money Harpo had. There was also a story back in their early theater days where Chico and Harpo switched parts as a surprise for Chico's daughter. THey found out afterward that she had left to go somewhere else. They never did it again.

Groucho once said that he always expected Chico to die in bed.... but from gunshot wounds.

You mentioned Zeppo being very funny. He sometimes filled in for Groucho if he was sick. Apparently he did it well.