Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARX BROTHERS!

I do believe Zeppo had the talent, but not the inclination. His forte was making money......

Groucho is the one I return to year after year.I just love him. He says the things I wish I could. His private life was a mess, quite unhappy, I think. All his relations except maybe his son, seemed to have eventually left him, and probably with good reason. But gee whiz, he makes ME happy. Doesn't that count for something? It breaks my heart sometimes thinking about him.

I think many of the stars we idolize were only good at being stars. In fact they were great at it. But in the family and love areas, not so great. I feel it is my duty to appreciate them, since they gave everything to their fans, like me......

• 1 year later...

My favorite is "A Night at the Opera" in which their act achieves perfection. My second favorite is "Animal Crackers", which has a raw energy lacking in their later films.

I read up on the brothers a while ago, and FYI Chico was a true pathological gambler, Groucho supported his wife later in life because Chico had gambled away everything. My not-really-favorite example was the time he made a bet on one of the horse races being filmed for "A Day At The Races". The race was set up for the camera, the jockeys had been told in what order they were to finish, and everyone on the set knew it was all fake. And Chico STILL bet on it, and not on the predetermined winner either.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

A heads up for those of us who love Minnie's boys that March the 29th will be an evening of Paramount and MGM selections. If they are not enough you can find Margaret Dumont, Thelma Todd, Alan Jones, Maureen O'Sullivan and even Eve Arden scattered through the night.

Zeppo, alas, will be gone after a few films.

• 9 months later...

Did all Marx Brothers fans notice that the trailers for ANIMAL CRACKERS and MONKEY BUSINESS include alternate takes from what's seen in the finished films? Plus lots of sort of generic early thirties Paramount music that's also not in the Marx films.

See them again here:

ANIMAL CRACKERS (1930):

http://www.tcm.com/video/videoPlayer/?cid=91436

MONKEY BUSINESS (1931):

http://www.tcm.com/video/videoPlayer/?cid=91504

The DUCK SOUP trailer can be seen here, but as far as I can tell, doesn't contain anything not in the feature:

DUCK SOUP (1933):

http://www.tcm.com/video/videoPlayer/?cid=91441

Groucho

What we really need is more bawdy humor. Boy, have I got idea's to spice things up!, Ah forget that, we would never get them past the Censor's!

Chico:

Ah, what are we worried about Censor's for? They only do that once every Ten years!

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Groucho

>

> What we really need is more bawdy humor. Boy, have I got idea's to spice things up!, Ah forget that, we would never get them past the Censor's!

>

> Chico:

>

> Ah, what are we worried about Censor's for? They only do that once every Ten years!

>

The Three Stooges made a pun on those words, too, in their 1940 Columbia short NO CENSUS, NO FEELING.

Moe: We got a job. We're working for the Census.

Curly: You mean Will Hays?

In the trailer for DUCK SOUP, the scene where Groucho tells Dumont "I'll hold your seat 'till you get there. After you get there, you're on your own." is a different take than what appears in the feature.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

DUCK SOUP is the funniest movie I've ever seen. It might have been my first Marx movie. I thought I was on acid! Never seen anything like it. So much of the humor that has followed draws from the brothers' style and attitude. The influence is clear in the early work of Woody Allen. It's all over Alan Alda's Hawkeye persona. Virtually all the good TV sit-coms have at least one Groucho clone.

I like HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA features incredible creativity. Sadly, it sinks into the music of the environment and loses sight of the comedy.

But I'll take a bowl of DUCK SOUP anytime. "With a hey nonny, nonny and a hotcha-cha!"

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 1/2/2011 at 10:49 PM, gagman66 said:

Groucho

What we really need is more bawdy humor. Boy, have I got idea's to spice things up!, Ah forget that, we would never get them past the Censor's!

Chico:

Ah, what are we worried about Censor's for? They only do that once every Ten years!

I love that, a great reference to the Hays code.

On 7/24/2011 at 3:53 PM, redriver said:

DUCK SOUP is the funniest movie I've ever seen. It might have been my first Marx movie. I thought I was on acid! Never seen anything like it. So much of the humor that has followed draws from the brothers' style and attitude. The influence is clear in the early work of Woody Allen. It's all over Alan Alda's Hawkeye persona. Virtually all the good TV sit-coms have at least one Groucho clone.

I like HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA features incredible creativity. Sadly, it sinks into the music of the environment and loses sight of the comedy.

But I'll take a bowl of DUCK SOUP anytime. "With a hey nonny, nonny and a hotcha-cha!"

I loved the comedy and the musical numbers in A day at the races and in A night at the opera. That's the big difference between people today and people back in the 1930s. People today share some of the same types of humor as people then, but most do not share the same tastes in music as people had back then. That's how I'm different from many people today

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2009 at 10:18 AM, Tampopo said:

My favorite is "A Night at the Opera" in which their act achieves perfection. My second favorite is "Animal Crackers", which has a raw energy lacking in their later films.

I read up on the brothers a while ago, and FYI Chico was a true pathological gambler, Groucho supported his wife later in life because Chico had gambled away everything. My not-really-favorite example was the time he made a bet on one of the horse races being filmed for "A Day At The Races". The race was set up for the camera, the jockeys had been told in what order they were to finish, and everyone on the set knew it was all fake. And Chico STILL bet on it, and not on the predetermined winner either.

That was the tootsie-fruitsie scene, that was hilarious