Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Least Liked Hollywood Film Stars

Naturally, there are a number of actors I don't care for, but one just came to mind...Stephen Boyd. I just never liked him.

And I never could understand the appeal of Walter Pidgeon. He always seemed so, well, boring.

Jeff Chandler had to be one of the absolute worst. He was so wooden, I thought a totem pole in one of his indian flicks came to life.

I used to think that Cooper was wooden, but he grew on me and what I had mistaken for woodeness, was a sort of realism. He had that sort of uncomfortable camera shyness that you'd expect from someone pulled off the street, and also the emotional impact of a real person trying to hide their emotions in front of others, not always succeeding. Many times, he was a tough guy playing a guy pretending to be tough (also, what he shared with Stewart). He had something that Mitchum and Hayden suggested, a sort of disdainful air for the line of work he was in, and a refusal to let it go to his head, that showed in his performances.

(Jesus, rereading my bit on Cooper, it's like I was drawing him in light on one of those cheesy TCM bits.)

> John Wayne

>

> Tom Cruise

>

> Ben Stiller

>

> Will Ferrell, why do they continue to offer him

> films. He made me what to kick the tv in when he was

> on saturday night live.

No arguments from me on these four. Just have to add Joan Crawford and Lana Turner.

Which are you referring to? Chandler, Cooper or both?

I have to add Glenn Ford and Tyrone Power to my list. Wood x 2. As for the ladies, I always thought Dietrich and Garbo were overrated and only got by on their accents and promiscuity ... sometimes with each other. Although, I admire Dietrich off screen for her loyalty to this country during WWII, but her acting (and singing) wasn't the creme de le creme that many claim, in my opinion.

Hi,

Apparently, Tom Cruise is going to give an interview about the birth of his baby on "20/20"..... I thought this program was supposed to be a 'hard news' show about important things. I've never watched it since it has Barbara Walters on it.

But maybe two 'wastes of space' - Barbara and Tom - make a 'hard news' program now-a-days.........

This baby must be the "second coming of somebody" (maybe an alien Scientologist) to warrant such a lot of paper and air time on it.

Or maybe the Pitt/Jolie brat is the real "second coming'.........

I'm so mixed up, I could puke!!!!!!!

Larry

Poor old Tom Cruise. What has he done to make so many people dislike him so ?. I like the guy. He has character, he's colorful. I love to stand in the check-out line at Walmart and flip through the National Enquirer to keep abreast of his escapades.

My favorite is the 'Weekly World News'. If it was'nt for the 'Weekly World News' I would'nt know what the hell was going on in the world.

Regards

Tom Cruise

Ben Stiller

Will Ferrell I can agree and add on Tad Hilgenbrinck (Stiffler off of

American Pie)

But John Wayne--I totally disagree with you all. Yes he wasnt a singing cowboy, but he was a great actor, he stood up for our troops, he was very patriotic. Not to mention very sexy. He might not of had the Gary Cooper looks, but he was every inch man--and a family man. His family went with him on shoots so that he could be near them. And now days they are saying this is something new, because the Mothers are taking thier kids to work, John Wayne did that years ago. My Favorite movies of his is McClintock, Green Beret, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and El Dorado.

MattHelm,

I read the subject line for this thread...can I play?

Gary Cooper? I developed an appreciation for his screen persona. I think Cooper's acting ranges from awful to damn good, depending on his co-stars. For instance, Cooper's coupling with Ingrid Bergman in "Saratoga Trunk" was terrific. Did Cooper and Bergman have some sort of 'off screen' thing going? Does not matter. Cooper's coupling with Patricia Neal in "The Fountainhead" was not terrific. A (sort of) defense of Cooper and Neal in "The Fountainhead"--the script was pretty damn clanky.

Other actors and actresses that I developed an appreciation only after watching several of their movies are:

Greta Garbo.

Robert Taylor (after watching 75 different Taylor movies...now one of my favorite actors).

Norma Shearer.

BTW: Should go without saying, but one of the great things about TCM is the opportunity for an interested viewer to watch more than one Cooper movie, or Shearer movie, or Taylor movie.

One guy that is 'laid back' (re: wooden) is "Mr. Stalwart"--Alan Ladd. His screen persona sometimes works ("Shane", some of Ladd's film noir titles) and sometimes does not work ("Whispering Smith", "Enter most other Ladd movies here").

Recess over...back to work.

Oh yeah...one more thing. "Saratoga Trunk"? No luggage!

Rusty

Hollywood film critics get paid for doing what they do, so what's the problem? Are they any good at acting? Yet people respect their opinions.

All we're doing is relaying our own likes and dislikes about film stars. And guess what? It's alright as long as we're able to agree that it's OK to disagree.

Bill

What would Ladd say about your acting? No soup for you!

That's interesting, I never thought about whether Coop's leading lady was the catalyst for his performance. The Fountainhead was like trying to make a moive out of NYC's phonebook. I don't think that neither he nor Neal were right for the roles in that movie, nor was it handled right. BTW: They're finally making a movie of Rand's other book "Charles Atlas Shrugged."

MattHelm,

An ideal DVD 'extra' for the movie version of any Ayn Rand book would be--"The Snit On Phil Donahue's Show...starring Ayn Rand". Probably the most boring Phil Donahue show ever! The first (and that days only) audience participant had the audacity to include (in her question) that she had had an infatuation with Objectivism while in college, but had since 'moved on'. Moved on to what? I don't know...maybe, Subjectivism.

Anyway. Ayn Rand refused to, uhm...do anything for the rest of the show (approximately the remaining fifty minutes). Ms. Rand wanted an apology from that audience-person. Note that "do anything" included not walking off Donahue's show. Ms. Rand sat in her chair...fuming. Phil Donahue walked back and forth, forth and back and Phil sweated...what joy!

Why did I watch the rest of the "Ayn Rand hour"? Entertainment...damn it!

Rusty

I'd love to see that, that's must-see TV, boy. How "Howard Roarke" of her. The only Donahue show I liked was when they put the Dr. Zaius make up on him. Ha, Subjectivism! I shouldn't laugh, that's the current philosophy today.

MattHelm,

You know, Ms. Rand may have been 'showcasing' her philosophy. At the time I watched that Phil Donahue thing, I thought she was a nut. Watching Phil sweat was fun.

Off the subject. Have you had a chance to start Hayden's "Voyage" novel?

Rusty

MattHelm,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I had to shut off the computer...electricity everywhere.

Anyway. "Plague"? Drink broth. I've got my own problems--doctor calls it, "idiopathic compaction". Ever heard of such a thing?

Rusty

Tried prunes, Rusty?

Seriously, it sounds serious (Google scares me), take care.

As to Hayden's book, local library doesn't have it. I've tried. I am starting Jarhead instead...just a light read.

Hah, Donahue sweating...I would have liked to see that. Marlo Thomas must have had a bag over her head.

Alan Ladd? Phui. No woman would date a man who had to stand on a box to recite dialogue to another actor. I mean, come on, really.

As to Coop, you may have a point. I also previously despised Robert Taylor but saw him as a detective in some movie somewhere and damned if he wasn't good. I don't know, though, Cooper makes my teeth itch.

stoneyburke,

Regarding my "compaction"? Thinking about it...my doctor may have said, "idiopathic defragmentation". Or was it, "your an idiot...just pay your bill and leave...please."? Whatever the diagnosis, my insurance denied the claim. Oh, yeah--based on your "Jarhead...light read" comment, I think you agree with my doctor's "your an idiot" diagnosis. You have no idea how much that hurts...sniff.

Now. Alan Ladd. Did you watch the TCM broadcast of "Whispering Smith"? That is one movie that never made it from my disk drive to plastic. My son owns a 'puffer' fish that does a better job of acting than Alan Ladd in "Whispering Smith". I am serious. You may be wondering, "what is a 'puffer' fish?". An aquarium fish that looks something like a partially inflated balloon and has a personality. Even though the little guy's tank (see...I can't help but personalize the thing) is 20 feet from the kitchen, it knows that opening the refrigerator equals feeding time. Open the refrigerator door, the fish gets so excited (caroms off the inside of the tank) that it almost pops out of the water. Great fun to watch. More fun than watching "Whispering Smith".

Rusty

Imply that about you Rusty? Nevah!

Whispering Smith...sounds like it was either made in the 1950s or done in color, either way I happily pass when looking at the schedule. Hah, yes I can just see Ladd standing there, shortly, doing...well, pretty much nothing. His best part was still with Ms. Lake.

A puffer fish...I've seen them. Same as a blowfish? Blowfish are tasty. Think I had blowfish a hundred years ago, when I bitten by a jellyfish. Want good times? Get stung by a jellyfish. Ah, memories. Sounds like getting stung by a jellyfish was more fun than watching Whispering Smith.

dolores

MattHelm

Quote:

"The Black Death has passed"

For future encounters, you might pick up some useful "how to cope" tips by watching that Bergman thing...if you can read the crummy sub-titles. You understand Svenska? Never mind.

Rusty

Dolores,

Quote:

"Get stung by a jellyfish."

Thank you for dredging up some happy memories. Waikiki beach, visiting my dad (he was working a one year stint on top of that Maui volcano), last night of visit, last ocean dip (well, it turned out to be the last ocean dip). I felt something on my back and then...wahhhhh. My brother was a half mile down the beach and had no problem hearing my screams. He ignored me (I'm kidding).

My jellyfish?, man-of-war? (it was dark...I never saw the thing) encounter was at the end of a Hawaii visit in 1966. I still have faint scars on my back and around my neck. Oh yeah, I know exactly that sort of fun. Still, I rank watching "Whispering Smith" more painful.

One thing I learned from my ocean life encounter--never go swimming in ocean waters after the sun sets. I did not need to watch "Jaws" for that bit of sound advice.

Rusty