Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Least Liked Hollywood Film Stars

Is the pufferfish poison? I know there are many species and most of them are deadly if eaten. In Japan the craze is the fugu species, the most deadliest. Sushi chefs have to learn how to prepare it or the customer dies. He has to be an apprentice for something like seven years, and then finally before he's allowed to prepare it for anyone, he has to prepare it and eat it himself. The only way to pass the test is to not die.

MattHelm,

Puffer fish poison? Yes. I understand all species (dozens) of puffer fish are poisonous--range from almost no toxicity to extremely toxic. However, I could never eat such a cute, cuddly little guy like a pet puffer fish. What does my referenced puffer look like? Take a puppy, shrink it to three inches length, remove legs and hair, stick some fins on it and you have my fish.

BTW: the common name for my son's aquarium puffer is the dog faced puffer fish. I just looked it up and dog faced puffers have a personality, according to their owners.

Rusty

I laughed so hard at all these Whispering Smith/puffer/jellyfish posts I actually had to read them aloud to my husband. Not that I think being stung by a jellyfish is funny, mind you...only you do the new small talk so awfully WELL, Rusty.

So, should a dose of Whispering Smith be taken before a trip to the dentist to dull the senses?

Sandy K

Take a puppy, shrink it to three inches length, remove legs and hair, stick some fins on it and you have my fish.

Oh, so your son made this fish in a lab. I'm going to get a puppy and try it. How does one shrink a puppy (besides yelling, "Bad dog!" to it)?

Recently in my neck of the sands, some fishermen caught what has always been a non-toxic specie of pufferfish, and died after eating it. Turned out that this species has mutated and are now toxic. It's literally Pufferfish Roulette down here, if you want to eat them.

Criticism is just a personal opinion Why don't you write a column or a book? And why is it you can't take a little criticism without get insulting???? It seems that a lot of people on this board have very thin skins and become defensive quickly. As far a the new thread on idiocy, I'm afraid you have that all locked up.

Matt, you're priceless.

The Hush Puppy Puffer...I googled it...is NOT the blowfish of memory long gone. What a cutie, the HPP, how does one refrain from taking it out of the tank for a cuddle?

It seems that Fugu is the Japanese blow fish that is deadly and has to be cut JUST so. I am sure that I and my inebriated and toked friends in 1977 did NOT prepare nor partake of the Fugu...I would not be here, regaling you with my sparkling personality.

Now absinthe, there's something I'd try. Anyone for a Harley ride and a tattoo?

You were criticizing me for being critical, and now you're criticizing me for criticizing you. That's intelligent. And out of all the people criticizing actors you chose me to be your whipping boy ... a foolish choice. Would that not mean that your skin is thin and YOU became defensive quickly? You've gotten nasty with other people in other threads for no reason, out of the blue and unwarranted, so don't start crying "woe is me" now. You crapped on a Viet Nam vet who was talking about his experiences. That's low. You were asked for an apology by someone you attacked and didn't give one. So don't you think based on the amount of people you've dumped on that it's YOU, and not their thin skins? Instead of whining in this last reply, you could have said, "sorry, didn't mean to offend" if you were so sorely misunderstood. My reply wasn't in my defense, but for everyone you've been an a-hole to with your habitual bomb throwing. You're obviously a social ****. It's not our fault you've chosen to buy the least absorbent diaper, so don't take your tantrums out on us. And yes, I do have the subject of idiocy all locked up, as I rightly pegged you as one.

BTW: Did you choose the name "albatros1" because "parkinglotgarbageeater1" was too long? Or is there one around your neck?

I'll go for the absinthe and maybe another tattoo, but a psychic once told me never to get on a motorcylce. Actually, it was the official witch of Salem, MA and she was right about everything else that has happened so far. I've been hog-free since.

You made me google the HPP. That sucker gets up to 16 inches and puffs up big. They should call it the John Holmes fish.

The whole point in eating fugu is that one is tempting fate by doing it.

It's a Zen thing, of course, and the flavor is said to be enhanced by knowledge that each bite could be the diner's last.

That said, much of the fish's flesh is harmless (hence its edibility), with the toxins concentrating in the animal's organs (with the eyes being the most poisonous of all). The skill of the expert preparer is in separating the flesh from the organs without cutting into the latter, so that the toxins won't contaminate it, kind of like a good surgeon removing an infected appendix, engorged with toxins, without them ending up inside the body cavity.

As for myself, I think I'll stick to Boston scrod.

Here's one--Ryan O'Neal. Did you know his agent tried to get him the lead in "The Godfather???" I mean I know he was briefly popular in the 70s, but what did he ever have to trade on besides his looks? Comic timing? Presence? Sorry, I call em like I see em.

Remember his cameo as a young general in "A Bridge Too Far?" The other 24 stars at least managed some credibility. Not Ryan. His screen time served as unintentional comic relief.

See I was thinking how I my vision of my favorite stars are mired by what I know about them personally or if they aren't my favs what sets me on the road to truly disliking them. Tom Cruise for instance-I had ill feelings for him after I read about his divorce proceedings against Nicole Kidman-he handled it in such a bad way almost devious. I am divorced and also a woman and the way he sprung it on Nicole who had no clue was just disgusting. So this new round of silent births which he has NEVER been apart of just seemed pompous to me. Of course I'm assuming Cruise and Kidman were not present during their adoptive children's birth and I'm not saying that they are not true parents because they adopted but making someone pregnant and watching them go thru the changes and having that person go into labor is something Cruise has not experienced so how could he judge? I hope Katie squeezed the dickens out of his hands during delivery and maybe she let out a justified "Oh God " or two. Anyway, I wrote that despite what I've learned about Joan Crawford I can watch her movies but in the back of my head is that weirdness. Same goes for Gary Cooper I like him but he didn't do right by Patricia Neal. He could have been more of a man while she and he were a couple esp. when she had her abortion he should have went in with her. Of course this opens a whole can of worms about immorality that these dalliances should have never of taken place then Neal wouldn't have been in the position she was in but she was and that is how Gary Cooper doesn't shine so high in my eyes. Like I've said what I learn about the stars affect how I see them or like them. Then there's what I read about them that they themselves write for instance Kirk Douglas his book the Ragman's Son was at time a bit hard to read If I could I would have slapped him a few times. However, Lana Turner wrote a book that told of her life warts and all and I found this quite admirable and therefore I will try to see the Turner films. Funny isn't it. I'll ask this question how many of your opinions were changed about Rock Hudson when you found out he was gay? I was shocked but boy what a hunk of man. I don't see him as gay I see him as Rock Hudson movie star but it took awhile for the surprise to wear off for sure. Anyway I don't mean to offend anyone just posting .

I think I'm very able to separate stars' personal lives from what I see on the screen, and that's a good thing, otherwise I wouldn't watch ANY films at all, there aren't too many actors/actresses who have led sinless lives. Please show me where there are, I'd be fascinated to know so I could investigate them more fully. :)

I choose to buy into the fantasy on screen, and care about the characters or storyline being depicted. Why else would you watch films? It's a form of escapism. Probably the best form, apart from reading.

If I were to dismiss a star like Joan Crawford completely because of her "weirdness" and her many romances/affairs, I'd be missing out on a slew of really fascinating 1920's - 1940's films she made which are pretty classic. Bette Davis admitted to two abortions. Should I not watch her films in May because of this? So what if Rock Hudson was gay, he makes me laugh like crazy. I'm not going to stop watching his films because of his lifestyle while alive.

Jill

http://www.goldensilents.com

My thoughts exactly. Who cares about actors personal lifestyles, likes or dislikes? The sole reason of watching a film is to get into the story itself for mere enjoyment and entertainment.

Who cares what people do in their personal lives? I sure don't. It's hard enough keeping myself grounded in this crazy world we live in. I don't have the time to worry Hollywood. Those people live in a world all to themselves.

Bill

Personally, I enjoy reading about actors and directors personal lives as much as watching the movies. In most cases their life stories are just as interesting and entertaining.

I guess I'm into the whole Hollywood thing. Knowing all the background info on all the relationships, lifestyles, rivalries, makes watching the movies much more interesting for me.

However, it is always a movie that is a starting point of my interest and research, not the other way around.

I came across this site a while back, but had never explored it in depth. It's a fun site devoted to The Divas of film, music and politics. I'm not sure I agree with all their selections, but this essay sort of illustrates what a lot of people have been saying about the banality of modern stars:

http://www.divasthesite.com/principle4.htm

"I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully

expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself."

~~Marlene Dietrich