Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it just me?

CaveGirl

Or are there an inordinate number of entertainment people dying lately?

They seem to be dropping like flies daily. Every day here there are more and more posts about who went to that big stage show in the sky.

What's going on?

Theories?

This is way more than that old canard about famous people dying in threes.

• Like 1

In 2007 the first baby boomers reached retirement age. And they are the largest portion of the population. So basically the largest demographic has reached the age where health problems are inevitable.

And all those smokers, drinkers etc... anyone who lived hard, this is when they begin to pay for it. Its going to be like this for a while.

• Like 3

They seem to be dropping like flies daily. Every day here there are more and more posts about who went to that big stage show in the sky.

What's going on?

Theories?

No theories, but smoking and drinking can contribute!  We just lost David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Natalie Cole. There were others lately too.  Even if you live a life that doesn't include those vices, people can have other things; including domestic or random violence.

The best thing is to live life to the fullest with the people you love and doing the things you love best - like watching TCM!

I have a minister friend who thinks that prayers can help cure dangerous conditions - on demand.   THis is hard for me to understand, as one might have a sudden tragedy assail them.  What then?  She quotes from the Bible and says there is nothing too hard for the Lord. (Now she lives out of state and sends me religious tracts, etc.)    I don't want to begin a religious debate, but wonder if it is me or it's her.  She tells me I have endured my condition long enough (true, true! - lol ) and must command it to go away -- with prayer.

THe reason I got into it is my own personal tragedy with my spine which keeps me debilitated.  After 5 years (DEc. 2010) following a severe surgery for 10  and one-half hours to fix my spine which collapsed from childhood Scoliosis.  I still have pain and cannot walk.  I can barely walk with the walker which certainly keeps me at home most of the time. 

Oh, well, I have to wonder.  In this case genetics  may have gotten this BB down.  It cannot have been lifestyle.  Anyway, quality of life is not very good. at best and I rarely go out.  (A spartan lifestyle did not help or hinder, I would say). 

I once led an active life as a wife and mother of three, (who are now grown up.) as well as a busy secretary for 20 years at TRW Space and Defense Systems.  Suddenly the Diagnosis I had at the age of 8 decided to get worse (many years later) and was slowly felling my spine.  I am fortunate to have my hubby help me going to appointments, etc. but wonder about the really big picture. My progress is very slow in walking again.

Any ideas?  Thanks to all for reading this.  I can't help getting discouraged now and then and cheer up with kind people here on the message boards as well as great films on TCM and other whereabouts.

• Like 5

MCannady, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read about your painful condition.

I don't have any answers.  I'm of the, "bad things happen to good people," philosophy.  I am a (Lutheran) Christian and believe that prayer helps us cope with the problems in our lives, but I have never thought of God as interfering with natural law. I don't like it when other people try to infer that we would all be rich and healthy if we just prayed the right way or had more faith. 

Meanwhile I'm thankful for things like the internet and old movies.

• Like 2

MCannady, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to read about your painful condition.

I don't have any answers.  I'm of the, "bad things happen to good people," philosophy.  I am a (Lutheran) Christian and believe that prayer helps us cope with the problems in our lives, but I have never thought of God as interfering with natural law. I don't like it when other people try to infer that we would all be rich and healthy if we just prayed the right way or had more faith. 

Meanwhile I'm thankful for things like the internet and old movies.

Thank you for your kindness!   I know it can get annoying when some people take over and think they know how to handle these things.  I am sure my friend means well, but her opinions seem to be over the top.  I am a non-denominational church person who can relate to most churches.  Faith is important in all of our lives.  However, I really don't think anyone has the power to heal themselves by commanding the affliction to abate!  Praying and listening to God's commands and prayers are good things, but the other things are

hard to believe.

I am currently reading one of the tracts from her book on how to receive Healing.  They cleverly refer to places and quotes in the Bible. She is a retired minister and I am sure she means well, so I will keep on reading.  My hubby says, oh, no!  I thought you got rid of her (when she moved out of state).  He of course understands what I mean.  I too am grateful for great friends and of course our wonderful TCM films.  Thanks for your kindness!

• Like 2

What's going on?

Theories?

I'm not sure that they are going at a faster rate than the population in general. If so, it may be because they live "faster" lives, which includes vices and other things.

• Like 1

It's worse for World War II veterans. According to the U.S. Veterans Administration, they are dying at the rate of 430 a day. It's been estimated that they'll all be gone by 2036. 

That is certainly a heartbreaking thing!  So many Vets, lose their lives in wars.  Bad enough that the estimate is 430 lost per day, but

the estimate that they will all be gone in 20 years is pretty frightening!

That is certainly a heartbreaking thing!  So many Vets, lose their lives in wars.  Bad enough that the estimate is 430 lost per day, but

I had an uncle who was a WWII vet.  He lied so he could get in underage.  We lost him in the last 8 years.  The VFW events shown on TV are slimmed down and almost not happening anymore.  It is sad.  He used to chuckle about it in good spirits and say he was one of the last of them.

No theories, but smoking and drinking can contribute!  We just lost David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Natalie Cole. There were others lately too.  Even if you live a life that doesn't include those vices, people can have other things; including domestic or random violence.

The best thing is to live life to the fullest with the people you love and doing the things you love best - like watching TCM!

I have a minister friend who thinks that prayers can help cure dangerous conditions - on demand.   THis is hard for me to understand, as one might have a sudden tragedy assail them.  What then?  She quotes from the Bible and says there is nothing too hard for the Lord. (Now she lives out of state and sends me religious tracts, etc.)    I don't want to begin a religious debate, but wonder if it is me or it's her.  She tells me I have endured my condition long enough (true, true! - lol ) and must command it to go away -- with prayer.

THe reason I got into it is my own personal tragedy with my spine which keeps me debilitated.  After 5 years (DEc. 2010) following a severe surgery for 10  and one-half hours to fix my spine which collapsed from childhood Scoliosis.  I still have pain and cannot walk.  I can barely walk with the walker which certainly keeps me at home most of the time. 

Oh, well, I have to wonder.  In this case genetics  may have gotten this BB down.  It cannot have been lifestyle.  Anyway, quality of life is not very good. at best and I rarely go out.  (A spartan lifestyle did not help or hinder, I would say). 

I once led an active life as a wife and mother of three, (who are now grown up.) as well as a busy secretary for 20 years at TRW Space and Defense Systems.  Suddenly the Diagnosis I had at the age of 8 decided to get worse (many years later) and was slowly felling my spine.  I am fortunate to have my hubby help me going to appointments, etc. but wonder about the really big picture. My progress is very slow in walking again.

Any ideas?  Thanks to all for reading this.  I can't help getting discouraged now and then and cheer up with kind people here on the message boards as well as great films on TCM and other whereabouts.

Well I don't know if it is any consolation, but that is how I got more involved in collecting movies.  I had a life-threatening condition about 5 years ago.  Now it is resolved, but after the recovery time I have this crazy new obsession.  Just great...

Hope you are doing well.

• Like 1

Happens to veterans of all wars - eventually.

What's going on?

Theories?

Main cause is that we have far more media coverage of everything than ever before, but especially "entertainment" and celebrities.  Of course, the "entertainment" industry has become so much larger over the years, which has allowed more people to become a part of it.

In 2007 the first baby boomers reached retirement age. And they are the largest portion of the population. So basically the largest demographic has reached the age where health problems are inevitable.

And all those smokers, drinkers etc... anyone who lived hard, this is when they begin to pay for it. Its going to be like this for a while.

Actually due to medical advances, availablity of treatment, etc. the "boomers" (52-70) will live far longer than previous generations.

Also the millenials (18-34) are the largest age demographic in US.

When you think of how many people smoked and drank heavily and ate the wrong kinds of foods, it's amazing any demographic lived past 50.  Add in how unsafe cars were.

Actually due to medical advances, availablity of treatment, etc. the "boomers" (52-70) will live far longer than previous generations.

Also the millenials (18-34) are the largest age demographic in US.

When you think of how many people smoked and drank heavily and ate the wrong kinds of foods, it's amazing any demographic lived past 50.  Add in how unsafe cars were.

It all evens out.

Cars may be "safer" ( heh!), but DRIVERS are more dangerous than ever!

And now threre's a lot of buzz about "self driving cars"( "buzz" might help explain why some think this is a good concept) which of course, will be assembled by humans, so there's misplaced faith for ya.

There's an "average age" for everything.  Be it people, cars, TV sets, washing machines or whatever.  Certain things reach a certain age and it's not surprising when they go "kaput". 

Bowie, Rickman, Cole( all who were ill) WERE at an age which it isn't surprising death was a possibility.  This doen't make it any less tragic, or saddening, but I see nothing more than coincidence as far as their ages go.

For example:

ROBERT JOHNSON

RUDY LEWIS

BRIAN JONES

JIMI HENDRIX

JANIS JOPLIN

JIM MORRISON

"PIGPEN"

Are all among the many in the "27 club",  notable musicians and celebrities who dies at age 27.

No big "cosmic plot", just coincidence.

Sepiatone

Main cause is that we have far more media coverage of everything than ever before, but especially "entertainment" and celebrities.  Of course, the "entertainment" industry has become so much larger over the years, which has allowed more people to become a part of it.

I totally agree.

Because of the digital age we all live in now, news gets to us at warp speeds now. When it used to be days or even a matter of weeks before we would here about someone's passing. We have a society now that is very interested in knowing everything the moment it happens and we have an entertainment press willing to cover everything, this is why we get the news when we get it.

Back in the early 1980's what did we have to cover entertainment news? On television we had Entertainment Tonight, we had the various short entertainment segments on some tv news stations and we had Variety and a couple of other newspaper type entities covering entertainment news.

Now look what we have. Especially on the web. It has exploded.

We have people now who are basically shying away from this level of coverage. You can probably count me in on that. I am just not all that interested anymore. As I get older the more inward I am becoming. Last year my wife and I went to see one film. I'll See You in My Dreams with Blyth Danner and Sam Elliot. Beautifully written and acted film about older people and how they have to deal with life in their later years. Unfortunately no Oscar nominations.

No other film interested me. Just recently I was able to catch Interstellar on Hulu. I wanted to see that in the theaters went it was first out but did not get to see it. I am glad I was able to see it. It was wonderful.

As many people around here are aware, I watch most everything on my computer. And since I have a dvd player on my computer I can watch many of the 700+ dvds I have and never have to be bothered by commercials at all.