Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

All I can state to you Svengoolie naysayers is this...if you don't like Sven then don't watch.  The last time I noticed most TVs have channel changers.  I thought this discussion group was for the purpose of letting TCM viewers there was an alternate available for little seen films on other channels. 

I noticed in the remarks reference to those movie hosts of the late 50's and 60's on local channels that presented the BIG MOVIE and referenced their childhood or adolescence and I truly think that is Sven's intention.  Like I said don't like it, don't watch it.

All I can state to the naysayers of the naysayers is this;  if one can't stand to read negative comments stay out of this forum.

but we

All I can state to the naysayers of the naysayers is this;  if one can't stand to read negative comments stay out of this forum.

but we like our moving closing credits star fields.

all I be a sayin' is if you're gonna show something than show it right. :D

but we

Ya know ND, I'd maybe agree with you IF Sven showed us films like Citizen Kane, but when the preponderance of his movies are Grade B-Z movies, and no matter them being primarily of the sci-fi and horror genre, then I don't see the problem with his comic intrusions while he's running them.

(...btw, my favorite part of his show is when he tells us those little tidbits about the actors in them...it shows me he's actually a real film buff underneath all that silly makeup) 

• Like 1

but we

I agree with you.   I felt your complaint was on-target.    Note that my post was addressed to the naysayers of the naysayers.  You are in the latter group not the former.

Maybe they had a copy with no end credits.

BTW - Beginning on the 13th, Svengoolie will start at 9:00 P.M. Eastern.

Maybe they had a copy with no end credits.

BTW - Beginning on the 13th, Svengoolie will start at 9:00 P.M. Eastern.

Any reason given for the time change?

Well I for one participate on these comment boards to review and read information that enlightens my knowledge of classic films and their presentations.  I withstand a constant barrage of negativity from other sources and don't need to have negativity thrown in with comments about classic films. Maybe Sven is silly but it is entertainment, not a film studies course.

• Like 1

I just caught up with Nip's complaint about cutting off the closing credits.

Well, a lot of movies DON'T have closing credits, and as most television stations are run on strict time constraints, Nip's time as a movie host would be severely short due to him being the host of a movie presentation would mean he's an EMPLOYEE of said station, and hasn't the clout to make a showing of end credits happen, if they need be cut due to time constraints,, and if he whines too loud and long about it, would have to do it while standing in the unemployment line.  And anyway........

I noticed in the early days of VCR proliferation, when it seemed EVERYbody had two VCR's hooked up in order to rent movies and copy them, that most people I knew who did this OFTEN cut off the end credits, claiming, "who CARES about all that crap anyway?"

Indeed.  As movie buffs, and those who ARE interested in all that crap, you have to admit, we are part of a VERY sparse minority.  Chances are( sorry, Johnny) that if Sven DID show the end credits, most of his TV audience would take the opportunity to hit the head, of tramp to the fridge for another cold one anyway, so WHY BOTHER?

Especially if it means cutting out certain SCENES of a movie in order to MAKE TIME to show the closing credits, as the show IS only alloted so much time.

Sepiatone

svengoolie is an idiot and a slacker!

no true space cadet TV aficionado would ever do what he did or allow it...

after the metalunan spaceship hits the ocean and explodes we then see against a yellowish background in a deep technicolor red 'The End'.

svengoolie's cruddy show omits the closing cast credits against a moving star field.

that's why cable TV needs guys like me hosting these things.

I would never cut out the closing credits like that not with that nifty moving star field.

that's the kind of thing true space cadets will sing out about.

:angry:

Truer words were never spoken, Nip!

If not for us, who would there be to clean up late nite tv???

Well I for one participate on these comment boards to review and read information that enlightens my knowledge of classic films and their presentations.  I withstand a constant barrage of negativity from other sources and don't need to have negativity thrown in with comments about classic films. Maybe Sven is silly but it is entertainment, not a film studies course.

Well clearly others participate on these boards to express both negative and positive comments.    They wish to express themselves and their POV and they are doing so.     They can do as the wish just like you can.

Also,  I read your post in the Lucy - Genesis or Overrated thread.    Since the title of this thread ask people for their opinion,  positive or negative on Lucy,  it should have been clear that one would fine negative comments there.  

• Like 1

Well clearly others participate on these boards to express both negative and positive comments.    They wish to express themselves and their POV and they are doing so.     They can do as the wish just like you can.

Good comment. Sounds reasonable to me.

Thank you, JJG!

It really ticks me off when I am criticizing someone and someone else starts criticizing me for criticizing the other someone with impunity.

Why it almost makes me want to take all my marbles and just leave the game room.

Especially when all I am doing is trying to help someone like Svengoolie [sp?] increase his ratings by being a wee bit more toothsome to the eyes of his female fans.

Call me shallow, but he ain't no Grant Williams. Now if he would just show "The Kiss of the Vampire" by Don Sharp one more time, I will cease and desist.

• Like 1

Any reason given for the time change?

Their whole schedule is changing. They picked up The Incredible Hulk and Diagnosis Murder. Pew! Looks like most all the shows are moving up an hour. Or back an hour.

Their whole schedule is changing. They picked up The Incredible Hulk and Diagnosis Murder. Pew! Looks like most all the shows are moving up an hour. Or back an hour.

I don't consider Diagnosis Murder classic golden age television. Do you?

I don't consider Diagnosis Murder classic golden age television. Do you?

No. Not to mention they're playing Diagnosis Murder to death on Hallmark Channel.

Saturday, February 6 on Svengoolie:

Prostitute Arlene Francis gets murdered before she gets to ask "What's My Line?"

51jI6b%2BSGIL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday, February 6 on Svengoolie:

Prostitute Arlene Francis gets murdered before she gets to ask "What's My Line?"

51jI6b%2BSGIL._SX425_.jpg

So Swithin, I take it Arlene's character in this film didn't deal with a product then, right?! ;)

(...and now I'll pass to Bennett Cerf)

No. Not to mention they're playing Diagnosis Murder to death on Hallmark Channel.

Well I may be old fashioned (as is most certainly is the case) but the Golden Age of TV occurred, as I define it, is is shows from the 50's and through the 60's.  I have several books on the subject.  The shows I consider GATV include seldom shown such as the Sid Cesar Hour, The Jackie Gleason Show (not just the Honeymooners), Andy Williams, Garry Moore, You Bet Your Life, etc,.

I don't watch the Hallmark Channel as I cannot stand all the BIG HAIR and BIG SHOULDERS included within the shows they broadcast.

Thank you, JJG!

It really ticks me off when I am criticizing someone and someone else starts criticizing me for criticizing the other someone with impunity.

Why it almost makes me want to take all my marbles and just leave the game room.

Especially when all I am doing is trying to help someone like Svengoolie [sp?] increase his ratings by being a wee bit more toothsome to the eyes of his female fans.

Call me shallow, but he ain't no Grant Williams. Now if he would just show "The Kiss of the Vampire" by Don Sharp one more time, I will cease and desist.

he ain't even George O'Hanlon. :lol:

So Swithin, I take it Arlene's character in this film didn't deal with a product then, right?! ;)

I wouldn't even hire svengoolie to play a gorilla. :lol:

Dargo, is Arlene's part in the film bigger than a breadbox?

I wonder if Martin Gabel is also in the film. I always liked him a lot.

• Like 1

Dargo, is Arlene's part in the film bigger than a breadbox?

I wonder if Martin Gabel is also in the film. I always liked him a lot.

LOL

You probably know that it was Steve Allen would originated that phrase on that program, doncha CG. 

(...and btw, for some reason, Martin Gabel always reminded me of a pint-sized Edward Arnold...but what a rich and mellifluous voice came from the diminutive gentleman, eh?!)

LOL

You probably know that it was Steve Allen would originated that phrase on that program, doncha CG. 

(...and btw, for some reason, Martin Gabel always reminded me of a pint-sized Edward Arnold...but what a rich and mellifluous voice came from the diminutive gentleman, eh?!)

I did not.

You are always a source of illumination, Dargo.

Martin Gabel could be quite effective in his not so often parts. Wasn't he in "Marnie"?

I don't watch the Hallmark Channel as I cannot stand all the BIG HAIR and BIG SHOULDERS included within the shows they broadcast.

That's a pet peeve of mine as well. I like Murder, She Wrote, but I only watch the episodes that take

place in Cabot Cove. But I definitely cannot watch Hart To Hart for the very reason you stated.

I did not.

You are always a source of illumination, Dargo.

Martin Gabel could be quite effective in his not so often parts. Wasn't he in "Marnie"?

Martin Gabel (and Arlene Francis) were first and foremost New York theater people. Martin Gabel's extensive Broadway credits are amazing. He played in the original production of Dead End; as Cassius to Orson Welles Brutus (and in other plays with Welles); as Kent to Louis Calhern's Lear; and in the original production of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter with Jayne Mansfield. He won a Best Featured Actor Tony Award for his performance in Big Fish, Little Fish, directed by John Gielgud.

From 1928 to 1975, Arlene Francis had an equally busy and rich career on Broadway. For at least 25 of those years, she hosted her own extremely popular radio show.

• Like 1