Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

9 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tonight, July 4, 2020. I know I've seen this film, but I confuse it with Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter, released the same year (1966).

bkvd-movie-poster.jpg

billy-01-300.jpg

I think Svengoolie pointed out that both films were directed by the same director.  That BILLY THE KID VS. DRACULA is... boring. 

5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes, it doesn't exactly look like a winner, does it? But Carradine is always fun to watch no matter how bad the movie is

You'll see.  You'll see.

• Haha 1

It was pretty bad, but MRS. OLSEN was in it, so it had some campy aspects. A very strange vampire. He walks around in the daytime and eats food! I half expected her to offer coffee to everyone.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On Svengoolie tomorrow, July 11, 2020: Brides of Dracula (1960).

poster-the-brides-of-dracula-2.jpg?w=768

8571.jpg

Freda Jackson plays the supporting role of Greta, who is a sort of nanny/servant. A venerable stage actress, I saw Ms. Jackson at the Theatre Royal Haymarket in Uncle Vanya in 1982, when, at the age of 75, she played Marina, the old nanny as part of a cast which included Donald Sinden and Frances de la Tour, 

• Like 1

I love THE BRIDES OF DRACULA, it is just as great as, if not better than, its predecessor HORROR OF DRACULA.

Of course the title is kind of misleading since (SPOILER just in case) Dracula is nowhere to be seen in here, since he was destroyed in the last movie. But it does have one charming bloodsucker in his place. 

And of course Peter Cushing does return as the formidable Dr. Van Helsing to once again save the day. Sweet.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, July 11, 2020: Brides of Dracula (1960).

poster-the-brides-of-dracula-2.jpg?w=768

8571.jpg

Freda Jackson plays the supporting role of Greta, who is a sort of nanny/servant. A venerable stage actress, I saw Ms. Jackson at the Theatre Royal Haymarket in Uncle Vanya in 1982, when, at the age of 75, she played Marina, the old nanny as part of a cast which included Donald Sinden and Frances de la Tour, 

doan forget Martita Hunt mrs haversham from great expectations but freda does still the show...

"she's dead and he's free!!! AHHH HA HA HA!!!

Caught most of it last night & have to say I was impressed! It was the best Hammer film I've seen to date-the sets & costumes were outrageous, the acting & storyline was good, although some of the acting absurd. Most notably the comic relief actor Miles Malleson as the Dr brought the story flow to a screeching halt. Well actually, I noticede quite a few scenes that should have been edited more succinctly.

But overall I enjoyed it. I thought all principle leads were well done, Yvonne Monlaur and Andrée Melly (who just died this past  Jan) were the two prettiest Hammer girls I've seen. It certainly seemed like a big budget for Hammer, it seemed as if they spared no expense in production.

Every time there was a pivotal scene, I had a sneezing fit or made a quick run to the kitchen and missed it! I missed the releasing of the Baron, the seduction of the bride by the vampire bride and fell asleep for the last 5 minutes! Can't wait for it to show again, it's worth seeing again.

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Caught most of it last night & have to say I was impressed! It was the best Hammer film I've seen to date-the sets & costumes were outrageous, the acting & storyline was good, although some of the acting absurd. Most notably the comic relief actor Miles Malleson as the Dr brought the story flow to a screeching halt. Well actually, I noticede quite a few scenes that should have been edited more succinctly.

But overall I enjoyed it. I thought all principle leads were well done, Yvonne Monlaur and Andrée Melly (who just died this past  Jan) were the two prettiest Hammer girls I've seen. It certainly seemed like a big budget for Hammer, it seemed as if they spared no expense in production.

Every time there was a pivotal scene, I had a sneezing fit or made a quick run to the kitchen and missed it! I missed the releasing of the Baron, the seduction of the bride by the vampire bride and fell asleep for the last 5 minutes! Can't wait for it to show again, it's worth seeing again.

I hadn't seen the film in a long time, and I too enjoyed it, which surprised me, since I'm not a fan of Hammer films that try to reimagine or recreate the classic Universal characters. I have no problem with remakes; I just find Hammer's remakes with those characters tend to be stodgy and dull compared to the originals. There are other Hammer films that I do like. Maybe I liked Brides of Dracula since despite the title, Dracula is not in the film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Caught most of it last night & have to say I was impressed! It was the best Hammer film I've seen to date

Agreed. I saw it when I was 11 years old at my neighborhood theater and came away thinking I'd just seen the best vampire movie ever. 

As it turned our, it was one of the most rarely shown Hammer films on late shows in the following decades - really hard to see. When TCM finally showed it last year you can bet I recorded it and burned a DVD.

10 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Maybe I liked Brides of Dracula since despite the title, Dracula was not in the film.

I know, right?

Even as a kid, I kept asking my buddy why Dracula was in the title but the vampire wasn't him. Good vampire, though.

• Like 1

On Svengoolie Saturday, July 18, 2020: The Wolfman (1941)

MV5BMTQzZjY1NzUtZmRkZi00NjFmLWIwY2EtNDFh

wolfman_-_h_-_1941.jpg

20 minutes ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie Saturday, July 18, 2020: The Wolfman (1941)

MV5BMTQzZjY1NzUtZmRkZi00NjFmLWIwY2EtNDFh

wolfman_-_h_-_1941.jpg

" Even a man who is pure in heart

And says his prayers by night

May become a wolf

When the wolfbane blooms

And the Autumn Moon is bright "

• Like 1

I will not watch this film on Svengoolie. He cuts to a commercial break in the middle of the very potent love scene between Larry and Gwen.  I happen to think that this is one of the best love scenes in pictures. Well, for Universal it aint half bad.  Larry offers the pentagram necklace to Gwen - to protect her from him.  She offers a shiny penny in return and he says, "It isn't enough." And then he moves in for a passionate smooch.  CUT TO COMMERCIAL!  ACK!!! Then... There's a werewolf in camp!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I will not watch this film on Svengoolie. He cuts to a commercial break in the middle of the very potent love scene between Larry and Gwen.  I happen to think that this is one of the best love scenes in pictures. Well, for Universal it aint half bad.  Larry offers the pentagram necklace to Gwen - to protect her from him.  She offers a shiny penny in return and he says, "It isn't enough." And then he moves in for a passionate smooch.  CUT TO COMMERCIAL!  ACK!!! Then... There's a werewolf in camp!

I don't think I've ever watched The Wolfman on Svengoolie. Is the whole show canned, meaning would he always cut at that point? He sometimes makes timely comments that makes me think his shtick is new, even if the film is a repeat.

Btw, one of the tropes (or is cliche a better word) of horror films: If someone gives someone an amulet, or something to protect them from something, they always lose it or give it away.  I find that annoying.

Despite CLAUDE RAINS, the best thing to like about that movie is MARIA OUSPENSKAYA

"The way you walked was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Now you will have peace for eternity."

The-wolfman.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Despite CLAUDE RAINS, the best thing to like about that movie is MARIA OUSPENSKAYA

"The way you walked was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Now you will have peace for eternity."

They were two great actors. Ironically they were also acting instructors.

Maria was quite prominent in Hollywood as an acting coach and Claude Rains taught many great British actors at the Royal Academy of  Dramatic Arts, including Laurence Olivier.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Swithin said:

I don't think I've ever watched The Wolfman on Svengoolie. Is the whole show canned, meaning would he always cut at that point? He sometimes makes timely comments that makes me think his shtick is new, even if the film is a repeat.

Btw, one of the tropes (or is cliche a better word) of horror films: If someone gives someone an amulet, or something to protect them from something, they always lose it or give it away.  I find that annoying.

Yea,   that I either lost that special amulet or forgot to bring it along is very common.   E.g. I'm watching Dark Shadows and that one is used often.   Another one is the 'don't go into that room' or 'stay in this room,,,  you will be safe':   The latter just occurred this week.     Victoria Winters,,,,  stay in this hidden secret room,,,  nope dummy Victoria goes back to the room everyone else knows she was hiding in!

Hey,  but these things are what make horror the most camp genre.    

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

The-wolfman.jpg

Actually, I think both actors make the film worth watching, along with the lead performance by Lon Chaney, Jr. as the tormented title character.

33 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Actually, I think both actors make the film worth watching, along with the lead performance by Lon Chaney, Jr. as the tormented title character.

I am a huge admirer of CLAUDE RAINS and think his performance is great as always.  LON CHANEY JR. does a great job as well.  I just think MARIA steals the show!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,   that I either lost that special amulet or forgot to bring it along is very common.   E.g. I'm watching Dark Shadows and that one is used often.   Another one is the 'don't go into that room' or 'stay in this room,,,  you will be safe':   The latter just occurred this week.     Victoria Winters,,,,  stay in this hidden secret room,,,  nope dummy Victoria goes back to the room everyone else knows she was hiding in!

Hey,  but these things are what make horror the most camp genre.    

Well, she's pretty stupid anyway.

Just now, Janet0312 said:

Well, she's pretty stupid anyway.

So true.    I find myself yelling at the T.V.   "Victoria,,,,  wake up!!!".    She make one dumb move after another.