Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

On Svengoolie tomorrow, October 17, 2020:

Devil_dollposter.jpg

This is a good film, given a high-class production with A-list actors. It's unusual in that the mad scientist is viewed somewhat sympathetically. It also offers an important early Hollywood drag role for Lionel Barrymore, and features Rafaela Ottiano, one of my favorites, in a substantial supporting role.

devildoll1.jpg

Was Ms. Ottiano's makeup inspired by the previous year's Bride of Frankenstein?

• Like 1

On Svengoolie tomorrow, October 24, 2020:

91AzryisHWL._SY445_.jpg

I remember this film from the Million Dollar Movie days, which also introduced me to King Kong.  But the poster makes Joe look so vicious, I remember him as kind of docile.

mightyjoeyoung_arentyouafraid_FC_HD_2997

I first saw this on TV in the old days too. I was very aware of Terry Moore at the time because she kept popping up in movies I liked. I just went to Wikipedia to see what John Ford's connection to the movie was since the poster lists him as a presenter along with Merian C. Cooper, but Cooper was the only producer credited so I got nothing. One tidbit from Wiki: The movie wasn't a success when released so they scrapped plans for a sequel, Joe Meets Tarzan. I'd pay to see that and imagine what Sven could do with something like that. Also from Wiki: Ray Harryhausen said the scale issues, where Joe changed size from time to time, were due to Cooper, who wanted to heighten the drama in certain scenes.

17 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, October 24, 2020:

91AzryisHWL._SY445_.jpg

I remember this film from the Million Dollar Movie days, which also introduced me to King Kong.  But the poster makes Joe look so vicious, I remember him as kind of docile.

mightyjoeyoung_arentyouafraid_FC_HD_2997

on channel 9? that's where I first saw those two.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

on channel 9? that's where I first saw those two.

That's right. Most of the horror movies I've seen as a child were on Shock Theater, on Channel 7. But Mighty Joe Young, King Kong, and Son of Kong were on Million Dollar Movie. I guess Channel 9 liked the apes.

• Like 1

they also liked running them on their weekly afternoon movie slot too.

:)

notice that alotta the montage shots feature the Duke.

:D

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

That's right. Most of the horror movies I've seen as a child were on Shock Theater, on Channel 7. But Mighty Joe Young, King Kong, and Son of Kong were on Million Dollar Movie. I guess Channel 9 liked the apes.

Whatever happened to those million dollars anyway?

• Haha 1
On 10/24/2020 at 8:05 AM, DougieB said:

I first saw this on TV in the old days too. I was very aware of Terry Moore at the time because she kept popping up in movies I liked. I just went to Wikipedia to see what John Ford's connection to the movie was since the poster lists him as a presenter along with Merian C. Cooper, but Cooper was the only producer credited so I got nothing. One tidbit from Wiki: The movie wasn't a success when released so they scrapped plans for a sequel, Joe Meets Tarzan. I'd pay to see that and imagine what Sven could do with something like that. Also from Wiki: Ray Harryhausen said the scale issues, where Joe changed size from time to time, were due to Cooper, who wanted to heighten the drama in certain scenes.

(suggests not depending on a certain World Wide Web site named Wikipedia for definitive information) 

23 hours ago, Mario500 said:

(suggests not depending on a certain World Wide Web site named Wikipedia for definitive information) 

Actually, Wiki came through. A search of John Ford showed that after WWII he refused an offer from Darryl Zanuck at Fox and started Argosy Pictures Corporation with Merian C. Cooper. 

wish they would drop it where I am.

:lol:

ME-TV shows a lot of great westerns;   Gunsmoke,  Rifleman,  Wagon Train,   Dead or Alive,    etc...   So I'm glad my cable carries them. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

ME-TV shows a lot of great westerns;   Gunsmoke,  Rifleman,  Wagon Train,   Dead or Alive,    etc...   So I'm glad my cable carries them. 

yeah, they're tolerable but they would be a lot better if instead of saving  their sci-fi shows for saturday evenings they would put them on weekdays....

and they can shove perry mason up sven's kazoo.

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

yeah, they're tolerable but they would be a lot better if instead of saving  their sci-fi shows for saturday evenings they would put them on weekdays....

and they can shove perry mason up sven's kazoo.

As a Perry Mason fan I judge this comment to be:

Incompetent

Irrelevant

&

Immaterial.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ah-HA! Funny, my other house is only 2 blocks away and ME-TV showed up over there on channel 2.1. When I couldn't receive 2.1 at this house, I thought it was just bad antenna reception. But scrolling through channels yesterday, I found ME-TV on 40.1! Go figure.

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You left out Bonanza.

5 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

You left out Bonanza.

I did that on purpose.     Bonanza is only OK since it isn't as gritty as the westerns I mentioned.      I.e.  the westerns I mentioned are darker and I like that.   

Also,  it is in color and there is something I just like more about B&W westerns. 

On 10/27/2020 at 1:46 PM, NipkowDisc said:

wish they would drop it where I am.

:lol:

I'd trade with you if I could; one day on my cable system it was replaced by CHARGE! (CHiPs 24/7, as far as I can tell). I can get Svengoolie via Locast, but they will keep cutting in and asking me to subscribe.

On Svengoolie tomorrow, October 31, 2020:

One of my favorite sequels, not enough love is lavished on this film. It has everything: great actors; good script and ambience; one of the creepiest opening scenes; perhaps the best musical sequence ever to grace a horror film (which would not have been out of place in a MacDonald/Eddy operetta); and one of the great outbursts of all time (perhaps second only to Bette Davis's outburst to Claude Rains in Juarez), when Lon Chaney Jr. shouts: 

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally! Why did you say that to me?  Get away from me! Stay away! Go away. All of you! Let me alone! Stay away!"

MV5BYmU3OTNhYTgtMzJiZS00NDZmLWJjYWQtNTUy

The film also features two monsters; and two lovely European ladies: Maria Ouspenskaya and Ilona Massey. The film was directed by Roy William Neill, who directed many of the Sherlock Holmes films and and features Dennis Hoey (who played Inspector Lestrade in a few of those movies)  as an inspector.  The film also featured Dwight Frye, who died a few months after the film was released.

maleva.jpg?w=798

frankwolf2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, October 31, 2020:

One of my favorite sequels, not enough love is lavished on this film. It has everything: great actors; good script and ambience; one of the creepiest opening scenes; perhaps the best musical sequence ever to grace a horror film (which would not have been out of place in a MacDonald/Eddy operetta); and one of the great outbursts of all time (perhaps second only to Bette Davis's outburst to Claude Rains in Juarez), when Lon Chaney Jr. shouts: 

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally! Why did you say that to me?  Get away from me! Stay away! Go away. All of you! Let me alone! Stay away!"

MV5BYmU3OTNhYTgtMzJiZS00NDZmLWJjYWQtNTUy

The film also features two monsters; and two lovely European ladies: Maria Ouspenskaya and Ilona Massey. The film was directed by Roy William Neill, who directed many of the Sherlock Holmes films and and feature Dennis Hoey (who played Inspector Lestrade in a few of those movies)  as an inspector.  The film also featured Dwight Frye, who died a few months after the film was released.

maleva.jpg?w=798

frankwolf2.jpg

"we must pretend to make friends with the monster.

lets use our heads for once."

Lionel Atwill | The Files of Jerry Blake

On 10/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, Swithin said:

maleva.jpg?w=798

I watched it last night-since there were few trick-or-treaters interrupting. I was amazed at how beautiful Maria Ospenskya's face was photographed-especially in close ups! She was 66-67 but had no wrinkles. Maybe the babushka pulled her skin back smoothing it out.

And Creighton Chaney also was looking good in this film. While his breathy voice can sound a little stilted, his face is so expressive & sweet. This movie was just beautifully photographed by George Robinson at Universal. 

Probably the high point of this years Halloween.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I watched it last night-since there were few trick-or-treaters interrupting. I was amazed at how beautiful Maria Ospenskya's face was photographed-especially in close ups! She was 66-67 but had no wrinkles. Maybe the babushka pulled her skin back smoothing it out.

And Creighton Chaney also was looking good in this film. While his breathy voice can sound a little stilted, his face is so expressive & sweet. This movie was just beautifully photographed by George Robinson at Universal. 

Probably the high point of this years Halloween.

One thing I've always wondered about is how they got from Wales to Vasaria in that horse (or was it donkey) driven cart? I know movies don't have to show the specifics of a whole journey, but it seems odd to me that those two suspicious looking characters were able to travel over land and sea, through several European countries, presumably without any documents.