Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

Anybody else watch it? I turned it off after a while and went to bed.

I think The Shaggy Dog (1959) did it better.

For those of you who plan ahead, Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

3/5 - The Phantom of the Opera (1962). Hammer Studio's remake w/ Herbert Lom and Michael Gough.

3/12 - Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943) w/ Lon Chaney, Ilona Massey, Patric Knowles, Lionel Atwill, Maria Ouspenskaya and Dennis Hoey looking like he escaped from a Sherlock Holmes movie. Plus Bela Lugosi in an ultimately thankless role as the monster. And Dwight Frye in an even more thankless role as a villager.

3/19 - The Time of their Lives (1946) w/ Bud Abbott and Lou Costello doing something other than their usual shtick. Plus Marjorie Reynolds and Gale Sondergaard.

3/26 - The Invisible Man (1933) w/ Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart and the incomparable Una O'Connor.

• Like 1

For those of you who plan ahead, Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

3/5 - The Phantom of the Opera (1962). Hammer Studio's remake w/ Herbert Lom and Michael Gough.

3/12 - Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man (1943) w/ Lon Chaney, Ilona Massey, Patric Knowles, Lionel Atwill, Maria Ouspenskaya and Dennis Hoey looking like he escaped from a Sherlock Holmes movie. Plus Bela Lugosi in an ultimately thankless role as the monster. And Dwight Frye in an even more thankless role as a villager.

3/19 - The Time of their Lives (1946) w/ Bud Abbott and Lou Costello doing something other than their usual shtick. Plus Marjorie Reynolds and Gale Sondergaard.

3/26 - The Invisible Man (1933) w/ Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart and the incomparable Una O'Connor.

Frankie Meets the Wolfman on the 12th??? That's a great movie for my birthday. Yay!!!

• Like 1

Frankie Meets the Wolfman on the 12th??? That's a great movie for my birthday. Yay!!!

You'll have to have some "new wine" to celebrate!

faro_la_faro_li.jpg

• Like 1

I thought last Saturday's offering of THE MUMMY was OK,

a great old classic.  But I also thought what was "cute" (ha-ha) was the "commercial break" schtick  send up of the Mummy as a mob boss in a movie called---"THE GAUZEFATHER"!  :D

Sepiatone

You'll have to have some "new wine" to celebrate!

faro_la_faro_li.jpg

doan miss claude rains in the invisible man. it's a winner!

I thought last Saturday's offering of THE MUMMY was OK,

a great old classic.  But I also thought what was "cute" (ha-ha) was the "commercial break" schtick  send up of the Mummy as a mob boss in a movie called---"THE GAUZEFATHER"!  :D

Sepiatone

I'd like to tell svengoolie what he can do with kerwyn. :lol:

I will grant you that during OSCAR month SVENGOOLIE and indeed any other programming on other channels is a welcome alternative to the banal programming on TCM, but for a steady diet, come on. Isn't SVENGOOLIE the classic horror film program for people that hate classic horror films? That's the way I view it. Mocking the films, cutting the films, cutting into the films, superimposing his visage over characters faces while the film is in progress may endear him to the sophomoric fan who giggles incessantly over bathroom humor, but it doesn't endear him to serious fans of the classic horror film genre who love these films. I don't much mind his informative breaks where he talks about the cast or gives some historical info, sort of a bloated Robert Osborne in Goth, but the humor is trite, old, and for the most part bad. I know this shtick is his selling point, but he doesn't even need to show the films for that. Let METV give him a half hour or hour where he can prance around the sound stage in his getup making a total **** out of himself and his fans will eat it up. Most if not all of the films he shows are already available on DVD so they are readily available to anyone who really wants to see them. Believe me Sven's real fans don't turn in to watch the films, they turn in to watch a fat clown make a fool of himself every week and get pelted by rubber chickens. That's no way to honor these films and the performers who starred in them. 

• Like 1

I will grant you that during OSCAR month SVENGOOLIE and indeed any other programming on other channels is a welcome alternative to the banal programming on TCM, but for a steady diet, come on. Isn't SVENGOOLIE the classic horror film program for people that hate classic horror films? That's the way I view it. Mocking the films, cutting the films, cutting into the films, superimposing his visage over characters faces while the film is in progress may endear him to the sophomoric fan who giggles incessantly over bathroom humor, but it doesn't endear him to serious fans of the classic horror film genre who love these films. I don't much mind his informative breaks where he talks about the cast or gives some historical info, sort of a bloated Robert Osborne in Goth, but the humor is trite, old, and for the most part bad. I know this shtick is his selling point, but he doesn't even need to show the films for that. Let METV give him a half hour or hour where he can prance around the sound stage in his getup making a total **** out of himself and his fans will eat it up. Most if not all of the films he shows are already available on DVD so they are readily available to anyone who really wants to see them. Believe me Sven's real fans don't turn in to watch the films, they turn in to watch a fat clown make a fool of himself every week and get pelted by rubber chickens. That's no way to honor these films and the performers who starred in them. 

C'mon don't sugar coat it, Infinite, tell us what you really think!

• Like 2

Just prior to the Faro la faro lee song in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, Svengoolie came on to say that this was Universal's worst musical scene. I can't remember his exact words, but I thought, talk about the pot calling the kettle. He said it was schmaltz or something.

C'mon don't sugar coat it, Infinite, tell us what you really think!

Huh!

Sounds like Infinite doesn't realize that these films AREN'T "sacred cows", and never have been. "No way to honor these films"!  OY!

Why, he must have been absolutely LIVID when MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 was on the air!  B)

We've already settled the matter that what Sven is doing has been a long "time honored" late night television tradition. 

I feel the same level of vehemence for TV shows like "Jersey Shore", or "The Bachelor"  and those "Real Housewives" swillfests.  So I simply don't watch them.  They certainly DON'T deserve my getting ulcers over them.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

tomorrow nite the humdinger 'the invisible man' starring claude rains and directed by the great james whale.

whatta film! better than whale's frankenstein flicks if you ask me.

now if tcm took this and colorized it then highlighted it like all these films that they're limited engaging in theatres, whatta increase in cable viewership.

why doesn't tcm think like I do? :D

You call what you do "thinking"?

"you bet!" -will stockdale (andy griffith), no time for sergeants  :D

"you bet!" -will stockdale (andy griffith), no time for sergeants  :D

I'm not one to post great overly long excessively analytical multi-paragraphical treatises.

just post something short and idiotic, that's me. :D

Nip-- what difference would it make if they colorized The Invisible Man--you still couldn't see him anyway.

The closest thing to seeing him were his footprints in the snow. They're just white anyway.

At least if they colorized Frankenstein, you could see that he was Green.

• Like 1

"Colorize" The Invisible Man?  Yeah, well SOME publications offer issues in LARGE PRINT for the visually impaired.  Only FAIR someone offers something for the MENTALLY impaired, don't you think?

Or...

DON'T you?  :D

Anyway, I wantcha all to keep a sharp eye out for WALTER BRENNAN in this one!  Heh!  Shocked the schitt outa me the first time I noticed him in it!  And by the way....

Do they still produce that Canadian TV show "SCHITT'S CREEK"?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Nip-- what difference would it make if they colorized The Invisible Man--you still couldn't see him anyway.

The closest thing to seeing him were his footprints in the snow. They're just white anyway.

At least if they colorized Frankenstein, you could see that he was Green.

well, if you ask me colorizing sometimes enhances contrast. :D

I'm quite surprised Sven resisted the urge to promise a copy of the movie, "With never before seen footage!"  B)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

tomorrow nite the humdinger 'the invisible man' starring claude rains and directed by the great james whale.

whatta film! better than whale's frankenstein flicks if you ask me.

now if tcm took this and colorized it then highlighted it like all these films that they're limited engaging in theatres, whatta increase in cable viewership.

why doesn't tcm think like I do? :D

MY GOD, MAN!

I didn't make it last night. I got up to the part where Griffin makes it to Kemp's house. I could no longer stomach the commercial interruptions. The Invisible Man just doesn't deserve to be treated this way. Svengoolie should not be allowed to show classic Universal horror on his program. It just isn't right.

• Like 1

I didn't make it last night. I got up to the part where Griffin makes it to Kemp's house. I could no longer stomach the commercial interruptions. The Invisible Man just doesn't deserve to be treated this way. Svengoolie should not be allowed to show classic Universal horror on his program. It just isn't right.

yeah I know, the guy is just so lame and unfunny.

Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

4/2 - House of Horrors (1946) w/ Rondo Hatton as The Creeper. Plus Alan Napier not as Alfred Pennyworth and Virginia Christine not as Mrs. Olson.

4/9 - Bride of Frankenstein (1935) w/ Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lancaster, Una O'Connor, O.P. Heggie and Dwight Frye. And down in uncredited land: Walter Brennan and John Carradine.

4/16 - King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) w/ two future Bond girls: Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi.

4/23 - Murders in the Zoo (1933) w/ Lionel Atwill, Charlie Ruggles, Gail Patrick and (of all people) Randolph Scott. This is one that I've yet to see.

4/30 - The Car (1977) w/ James Brolin, Ronny Cox and R. G. Armstrong. This is also one that I've yet to see. But, unlike the previous movie, I don't have this feeling that I've missed anything.

• Like 3

But the films are airing, and they are picking up a whole new generation of fans.  

• Like 2

Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

4/2 - House of Horrors (1946) w/ Rondo Hatton as The Creeper. Plus Alan Napier not as Alfred Pennyworth and Virginia Christine not as Mrs. Olson.

4/9 - Bride of Frankenstein (1935) w/ Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lancaster, Una O'Connor, O.P. Heggie and Dwight Frye. And down in uncredited land: Walter Brennan and John Carradine.

4/16 - King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) w/ two future Bond girls: Mie Hama and Akiko Wakabayashi.

4/23 - Murders in the Zoo (1933) w/ Lionel Atwill, Charlie Ruggles, Gail Patrick and (of all people) Randolph Scott. This is one that I've yet to see.

4/30 - The Car (1977) w/ James Brolin, Ronny Cox and R. G. Armstrong. This is also one that I've yet to see. But, unlike the previous movie, I don't have this feeling that I've missed anything.

that last one the car has always been underrated but maybe svengoolie can come up with some fun skits like the car gettin' him. :lol: