Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

35 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What really has me wondering is  when did Henry Travers ever have such bushy eyebrows.     Ah,  the mystery of the day.

MV5BMzM5ZWFjM2EtZmNkMC00MWM1LWFmN2MtOWNk

• Thanks 1

On Svengoolie tomorrow, February 20, 2021

51fW-k-Sp+L._AC_.jpg

Although I don't remember it well, I do have fond memories of this film. Directed by the great Joe May, who directed one of my favorite silent films, the two-part classic The Indian Tomb.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2021 at 8:09 AM, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, February 27, 2021

(This 1964 film has nothing to do with the earlier film of the same name.)

p2134_p_v8_aa.jpg

Pretty cool !!

- at least haven't seen it before  :D

& with cute twist at the end too

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Devil Doll (1964) is my favorite evil ventriloquist dummy film. Dead Of Night (1945) is a better movie but the dummy sequence is only a small part of the film.

Bryant Halliday is chilling as the evil hypnotist/ventriloquist. Hugo the dummy is very creepy. Some of the Sven sequences were good, I especially liked his Chico Marx impression.

There is some eye candy for guys with 2 sexy women-the exotic dark haired Yvonne Romain and the voluptuous blonde Sandra Dorne. 

Devil Doll (1964) — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Devil Doll (1964) / AvaxHome

• Like 2

I met the producer of Devil Doll, Richard Gordon and we briefly talked about the film. I like the off-kilter world that's presented in a very matter-of-fact way in the script and in the visuals. The soundtrack is very different compared to most horror film music.

• Like 2

This month on Svengoolie: The Thing That Couldn't Die (1958) on 3/6, Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) on 3/13, The Shadow of the Cat (1961) on 3/20 and The Beast Must Die (1974) on 3/27.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Devil Doll (1964) is my favorite evil ventriloquist dummy film. Dead Of Night (1945) is a better movie but the dummy sequence is only a small part of the film.

Bryant Halliday is chilling as the evil hypnotist/ventriloquist. Hugo the dummy is very creepy. Some of the Sven sequences were good, I especially liked his Chico Marx impression.

There is some eye candy for guys with 2 sexy women-the exotic dark haired Yvonne Romain and the voluptuous blonde Sandra Dorne. 

Devil Doll (1964) — The Movie Database (TMDb)

Devil Doll (1964) / AvaxHome

I thought it was pretty good (for a B). Really creepy.

• Like 1

Will Sven show a good print? Mystery of the Wax Museum was one of the last two movies filmed in the two-color Technicolor process (Doctor X was the other).

mystery.gif

Mystery-of-the-Wax-Museum-Fay-Wray-3.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Swithin said:

Will Sven show a good print? Mystery of the Wax Museum was one of the last two movies filmed in the two-color Technicolor process (Doctor X was the other).

mystery.gif

Mystery-of-the-Wax-Museum-Fay-Wray-3.jpg

Isn't that something.  A 1933 Warner Bros movie in Technicolor. The only other WB 30's movie I've seen in color is the 1938 "Robin Hood", a three- color process.

I believe their other 30's blockbuster special, "A Midsummer's Night's Dream", 1935, is in black and white.

I wonder how many other films in the 30's or the 40's did Warner Brothers produce in Technicolor?

On 3/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, Swithin said:

I just finished watching this this afternoon. 

Sven showed the UCLA restoration which was released in April 2020. 

The quality was excellent; I think TCM showed it a few years ago and this version is a vast improvement.   

Here's a good discussion of the restoration process:

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/blogs/archive-blog/2020/04/21/mystery-wax-museum-restored-qa-scott-macqueen  

One thing I noticed about the film was that the shadows seemed to have a greenish tint; I'm not sure if this was because of the 2 color Technicolor process or if it was due to lighting choices.   It appears that they had to be careful in their choice of colors on the set and in the costumes.  All and all worth watching if only to see a 2 color Technicolor film without all the scratches, pops, etc.  Hopefully TCM will be able to show this restored version at some point. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, CallMeTim said:

I just finished watching this this afternoon. 

Sven showed the UCLA restoration which was released in April 2020. 

The quality was excellent; I think TCM showed it a few years ago and this version is a vast improvement.   

Here's a good discussion of the restoration process:

https://www.cinema.ucla.edu/blogs/archive-blog/2020/04/21/mystery-wax-museum-restored-qa-scott-macqueen  

One thing I noticed about the film was that the shadows seemed to have a greenish tint; I'm not sure if this was because of the 2 color Technicolor process or if it was due to lighting choices.   It appears that they had to be careful in their choice of colors on the set and in the costumes.  All and all worth watching if only to see a 2 color Technicolor film without all the scratches, pops, etc.  Hopefully TCM will be able to show this restored version at some point. 

Yes, I watched much of it, it looked beautiful. One thing that struck me -- I hadn't seen the film in ages -- was the nastiness of the police, toward Glenda Farrell and some of the others.  It went beyond the usual stereotype.

• Like 1

One of the stars of The Shadow of the Cat passed away just a couple of months ago.  Barbara Shelley died in London at age 88 on Jan. 3, 2021.