Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

that last one the car has always been underrated but maybe svengoolie can come up with some fun skits like the car gettin' him. :lol:

OMG, I love Rondo Hatton movies, so I can't wait to watch his tonite.

Thankfully I've seen "House of Horrors" before so I will try to stay calm when they keep interrupting the film with their forced inanity.

Thanks!

• Like 1

We need to start a campaign to get TCM (or even Svengoolie) to show The Spider Woman Strikes Back, with Gale Sondergaard and Rondo Hatton. It used to be on the old Shock Theater in NYC decades ago -- but I haven't seen it since. Though there's a great clip on YouTube:

• Like 2

Thankfully I've seen "House of Horrors" before so I will try to stay calm when they keep interrupting the film with their forced inanity.

Thanks!

Oh, come OFF it people!

If you're over 40 even just over 30, y'all GREW UP watching TV with commercial interruptions. Quit acting like they're such an abomination, and so rare as to be LIFE SCOURGING!  Sure, they CAN be annoying, and often insulting to the intelligence, but also as far as television goes, a neccessary evil.  Admittedly, some TV commercials have been known to be more entertaining that the shows they inturrupt, but those are too far and few between these days.  Don't stop ME from having fun razzing some of them for being dumb though.

Especially those JET.COM ads in which people, nosediving into their "devices" see something on them that causes the tops of their heads to blow off, showing nothing but a puff of purple dust and leaving an empty skull, indicating the device "nosedivers" had nothing more IN their skulls than purple dust!  I always feel it was "aptly put"!  :)

Another one that tickles me is the one insurance ad that starts with a guy claiming he's never getting married, "NEVER!", and then shows him proposing---then the two are on a plane on which some unruly kids are causing a ruckus and the man says"We're never having kids" and then flashes to a scene with his wife in labor.  Then a claim to "never moving to the suburbs" then showing them living IN the 'Burbs, followed by saying "we're not having any more kids" with wifey saying she's pregnant.  Then the LAST scene in the ad shows this guy on the sofa with his wife and two kids claiming, "I'm never letting go!"   HMMM......given his record THUS far, I'd say HE'S GONE!  I'm surprised nobody's pointed this out before ever putting the ad on the air.  I noticed it first time I SAW it!

Now, I know y'all were probably referring to Sven's antics during the breaks, but look at it more as an opportunity to-----

1.  Go pee without missing any of the movie...

2.Get a refill of coffee or some other refreshment without losing any of the action!

Here's hoping some of you have at least enough of SOME imagination to figure out how to spend that time. :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I view Svengoolie as the gateway drug to appreciating genre films and bad films. Most kids (and that IS the primary audience for shows like Svengoolie) don't mind the silliness, and it makes watching an "old B & W" movie more palatable to young minds. They develop an appreciation for the movies, and some eventually seek out the pure product, so to speak, and start watching classic films in their original form. Those local horror hosts have been doing it for nearly 60 years, from Vampira to Ghoulardi to Zacherly to Elvira to even Mystery Science Theater 3000. The wit of the jokes varies greatly, of course, but they all serve the same entertainment purpose. I don't often watch Svengoolie, since most of the titles shown are well known films I've already seen many times or own outright on DVD. But to a lot of young eyes out there, this is their first exposure to things like this, and they eat it up. As for the ratings, I'm sure they're not tremendous, but they must be large enough to sustain the show, since it has greatly improved in quality of production since MeTV started airing reruns of the local-station broadcasts out of Chicago that they originally aired. 

• Like 4

I view Svengoolie as the gateway drug to appreciating genre films and bad films. Most kids (and that IS the primary audience for shows like Svengoolie) don't mind the silliness, and it makes watching an "old B & W" movie more palatable to young minds. 

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly stated. That's the quote of the day. 

I get him on Me-Tv and I used to watch him all the time until I realized that I had to start getting up early on Sunday mornings and had to have the TV turned off and everything seem like I was ready for bed so my cat would understand  that there was no more time for play that night -doesn't work all the time by the way.

There are plenty of times when my cat does not help my insomnia by the fact that, well, cats are night creatures.

I'm very familiar with commercials and don't have a problem with them.  However, now that my teenaged neighbour has shown me how to use PVR, I can fast forward through them if the show I am watching is recorded.

I enjoy Svengoolie.   Sometimes if he airs a particular favourite of mine like The Invisible Man I record the program so that I can watch it another time.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

5/7 - Calling Dr. Death (1943) w/ Lon Chaney, Jr. miscast as an urban professional (as if that Clark Gable mustache was going to make a difference). Plus the now 101 years of age Patricia Morison, the always worthwhile J. Carrol Naish, David "The Mad Ghoul" Bruce, Ramsay "Princess Ananka" Ames, Fay "Jenny Williams" Helm and Holmes "Sir Karell Borotyn" Herbert. The first of six Universal movies based upon the Inner Sanctum radio series. And none of them are as good as the radio series itself.

Note: Svengoolie's in-studio guest for this movie will be Gilbert Gottfried. Consider yourself warned.

5/14 - The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957). Simply classic 1950s science-fiction written by Richard Matheson and directed by Jack Arnold. If you haven't seen it, you need to rectify that mistake.

5/21 - Sssssss (1973) w/ Strother Martin in a change of pace as a mad scientist (or, more specifically, a mad ophiologist) with a bit of a Dr. Moreau fixation. Plus Dirk "Starbuck" Benedict and Heather "Louisa" Menzies. I know I saw this one once on television back in the 1970s but heck if I recall enough 40 years later to provide a worthwhile recommendation or not. So I guess we'll have to wait for the irrepressible NipkowDisc to weigh in on this movie.

5/28 - Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) w/ Bud Abbott and Lou Costello in their last Universal movie and their penultimate movie as a team. Plus Marie Windsor, Michael "Kang" Ansara, Dan "Abdul" Seymour and Richard "Mel Cooley" Deacon. Similar to a stereotypical month of March, this comedy team's career came in as a lion and went out as a lamb. Recommended for die hard completionists only.

• Like 3

5/21 - Sssssss (1973) w/ Strother Martin in a change of pace as a mad scientist (or, more specifically, a mad ophiologist) with a bit of a Dr. Moreau fixation. Plus Dirk "Starbuck" Benedict and Heather "Louisa" Menzies. I know I saw this one once on television back in the 1970s but heck if I recall enough 40 years later to provide a worthwhile recommendation or not. So I guess we'll have to wait for the irrepressible NipkowDisc to weigh in on this movie.

Sssssss is an enjoyable cheesy slice of 70's drive-in fare. With a 99 minute running time, though, quite a bit will be cut to fit Sven's time constraints.

5/7 - Calling Dr. Death (1943) w/ Lon Chaney, Jr. miscast as an urban professional (as if that Clark Gable mustache was going to make a difference). Plus the now 101 years of age Patricia Morison, the always worthwhile J. Carrol Naish, David "The Mad Ghoul" Bruce, Ramsay "Princess Ananka" Ames, Fay "Jenny Williams" Helm and Holmes "Sir Karell Borotyn" Herbert. The first of six Universal movies based upon the Inner Sanctum radio series. And none of them are as good as the radio series itself.

Note: Svengoolie's in-studio guest for this movie will be Gilbert Gottfried. Consider yourself warned.

No, no! Not that! Anything but that!

No, no! Not that! Anything but that!

svengoolie's pattern seems to be to show a good film and then follow a week later with a bad film. last nite's good film was 'the car'  now we must suffer thru a bad film. next week's calling dr. death.

I hope gilbert gottfried talks right into svengoolie's ear. :D

• Like 1

svengoolie's pattern seems to be to show a good film and then follow a week later with a bad film. last nite's good film was 'the car'  now we must suffer thru a bad film. next week's calling dr. death.

That pattern would imply that the upcoming Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) is a good movie. I think there is a big hole in your theory, my friend!

• Like 1

That pattern would imply that the upcoming Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) is a good movie. I think there is a big hole in your theory, my friend!

yeah, maybe bi-weekly or tri-weekly. :D

Yeah, and the hole in his theory started when he called THE CAR "a good movie"!

(...'cause ND, THE CAR makes a movie with a similar premise, namely CHRISTINE, look like the CITIZEN KANE of crazed and possessed automobile flicks by comparison, and even CHRISTINE isn't all that great!)

(...'cause ND, THE CAR makes a movie with a similar premise, namely CHRISTINE, look like the CITIZEN KANE of crazed and possessed automobile flicks by comparison, and even CHRISTINE isn't all that great!)

2 things--

1) I like Lon Chaney Jr in Dr. Death. He gives a very dramatic, believable performance. (But then, I like Lon Chaney in just about everything he ever did.)

2) And why didn't Brolin shoot out the tires the first time he saw the car?

I couldn't believe how many good actors and actresses were in that movie. It must have been a slow year.

That RG Armstrong is not so well-known, but he's in a league with Chuck Connors and Claude Akins -- he really knew his stuff as an American outback character actor.

the only stephen king adaptation of any worth is the unforgettable 1979 CBS mini-series salem's lot.

also 'the langoliers'.

I doan particularly fault you, Dargy, for not thinking too much of The Car. for me it's one of those films you hafta sit thru a number of times before it grows on you. 

first time I watched it, probably on pay cable, I thought it was pretty bad because it wasn't what I quite expected it to be.

today it is to me a minor classic. there are some subtleties you're not gonna appreciate the first or second viewing like after they find that bicyclist that the car sends over the bridge. while brolin and cox are talking, the camera focuses in on a distant shot of dust being raised by the diabolic car moving in the desert. that is very creepy and suggests great evil.

personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel or a remake. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSwIhx6KYU

A long time ago I sat through a viewing of THE CAR, I don't think a second (or third, fourth,...) viewing could make it look any better.  Bad , bad, bad. At least an Ed Wood movie can  be fun to watch .

• Like 1

A long time ago I sat through a viewing of THE CAR, I don't think a second (or third, fourth,...) viewing could make it look any better.  Bad , bad, bad. At least an Ed Wood movie can  be fun to watch .

the car started to seem better to me after I would guess my third or fourth viewing. the car itself contributes to improving the film by taking out john marley early on. :)

and doan forget the funny exchanges between john rubinstein and R.G. Armstrong.

the little [...] thinks he's cute with a lighthearted "bye bird" and then the car deliciously grinds him and his french horn into the dirt.

gotta love that. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Svengoolie's monthly newsletter indicates that this month's offerings are:

6/4 - She-Wolf of London (1946) w/ Gidget's Dad (Don Porter) and Timmy's Mom (June Lockhart). Plus Lloyd Corrigan, Dennis "Inspector Lestrade" Hoey, Martin "Marcel De Lange" Kosleck and, far from her Kansas homestead, Clara "Auntie Em" Blandick. A most inaccurate title as this movie has little in common with Universal's roundup of usual suspects. Was the studio trying to save money in the makeup department? Or were they trying (and failing) to mimic Val Lewton's output over at RKO?

6/11 - Pillow Of Death (1945) w/ Lon Chaney, Jr. as a lawyer. A lawyer?!? Plus Brenda Joyce (the second Jane to Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan), J. Edward Bromberg and, déjà vu time, Clara "Auntie Em" Blandick again. A most accurate title as this movie can put one to sleep. The last of the six Universal movies based upon the Inner Sanctum radio series which came in like a lion lamb and when out like a lamb.

6/18 - The Leech Woman (1960) w/ Coleen Gray, Grant Williams and Gloria Talbott. As per the corresponding DVD collection: "Determined to recapture her beauty, a woman discovers a compound that will restore youth - but only when it's combined with fluid taken from bodies of the newly dead." With movies like Kiss of Death (1947), Nightmare Alley (1947) and Red River (1948) on her curriculum vitae, it is a safe bet to assume that Ms. Gray did not waste any time reminiscing about this one.

6/25 - Island of Lost Souls (1932) w/ Charles Laughton as Dr. Moreau, Richard Arlen as Edward Parker, Bela Lugosi as the Sayer of the Law and Kathleen Burke as the Panther Woman. By far the best adaptation of H.G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau. The one "must see" of the month.

Svengoolie is only batting .250 this month. Hopefully he is a good fielder.

• Like 2

6/11 - Pillow Of Death (1945) w/ Lon Chaney, Jr. as a lawyer. A lawyer?!? Plus Brenda Joyce (the second Jane to Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan), J. Edward Bromberg and, déjà vu time, Clara "Auntie Em" Blandick again. A most accurate title as this movie can put one to sleep. The last of the six Universal movies based upon the Inner Sanctum radio series which came in like a lion lamb and when out like a lamb.

I'm assuming that Svengoolie has shown all the Inner Sanctum flicks. Has there ever been a Universal horror title he has not presented? And I would guess there are some he repeats more than others.

• Like 1

This will be interesting to me tonight as I don't ever recall seeing JUNE LOCKHART in anything pre-"Lassie".  But then, I remember Lassie when TOMMY RETIG played Jeff, and had a different mom (JUNE CLAYTON, I believe) .

I always thought June was a pretty lady when I was a kid, and seeing her much younger is gonna be a treat.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

This will be interesting to me tonight as I don't ever recall seeing JUNE LOCKHART in anything pre-"Lassie".  But then, I remember Lassie when TOMMY RETIG played Jeff, and had a different mom (JUNE CLAYTON, I believe) .

I always thought June was a pretty lady when I was a kid, and seeing her much younger is gonna be a treat.

Sepiatone

Sepia, didn't you ever see the 1930's "A Christmas Carol" with her dad, Gene which had June as one of the Cratchit kiddies?

• Like 1