Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

The Inner Sanctum movie titles sound like they could be the names of specialty drinks in a retro looking cocktail bar with a mystery theme-

"Bartender, my wife would like a Strange Confession and may I please have a Frozen Ghost."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 5/29/2021 at 2:34 PM, Swithin said:

Could be. (I wasn't a regular Get Smart watcher.)  Kosleck also played a sculptor in another horror film: House of Horrors (1946).

Funny but at the same time ME-TV was showing The Frozen Ghost with Kosleck,   TCM was showing Nazi Agent which also featured Kosleck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Svengoolie tomorrow, June 5, 2021:

cult+poster.jpg

Cult of the Cobra is one of those horror films in which naughty westerners behave badly in an exotic locale and are punished by a force that hunts them down back home, in this case, a woman who turns into a cobra.

Another example of this sort of film is The Reptile (1966), a film which I like very much, about an Englishman who offends a Malayan cult, which then takes revenge on his daughter, who turns into a snake. And of course there are other horror films about women who turn into snakes, an interesting one being The Snake Woman; and an amusing one being The Lair of the White Worm. In The Snake Woman, a doctor injects his pregnant wife with snake venom, thinking it might cure her madness.  Instead, it turns their child (played by Susan Travers) into a cobra. The Snake Woman features a scene-stealing character played by Elsie Wagstaff, as a sort of old witch (of the best type) who wants to kill the baby before it's too late. (Marne Maitland as a Malay servant in rural England does his share of scene-stealing in The Reptile.)

The Lair of the White Worm is of course one of Hugh Grant's (and Ken Russell's) best films, an enjoyable combination of horror and comedy in the English countryside. 

cotc55-group1b.jpg?w=640
Faith Domergue and the boys in Cult of the Cobra

EJ6F2_5X0AIt1FU.jpg
Jacqueline Pearce in The Reptile

d9qx83k-f9146bc7-9974-4e9e-a2c9-7913a955
The lovely Amanda Donohoe in The Lair of the White Worm
MV5BMzI2ODNlNWItOTBmNC00M2FlLWIyYWYtODE2

snakewoman1961_17320_1024x768_0918201710
Elsie Wagstaff in The Snake Woman

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Three Cult of the Cobra cast members are still with us:

William Reynolds, age 89, who plays Pete, the cobra woman's final victim;

Kathleen Hughes, age 92, who plays the love interest of both Paul & Tom;

Myrna Hansen, age 86, who plays party girl Marian.

• Like 3

Cult of the Cobra had a cast of many fine actors,  some like David Janssen that would go on to big careers.   

The other guys were well known for films during the 50s like Marshall Thompson,  Jack Kelly and soon to be T.V. star Richard Long.   

Oh,  and The Chief,  Edward Platt,   played another type of chief.      Faith Domergue lacked energy,  as she often did,  but was adequate in the role. 

Much better production then I expected to see on Svengoolie.   

PS:    And what a group of ugly Americans!      What they did to that temple was beyond just being jerks.    Frankly I was rooting for them to all be killed.    I wish the plot would have explored that angle more;  e.g.  why the Cobra women was seeking revenge as ordered by the chief.   Did she really fall for Thompson and didn't wish to have him killed?      

Faith Domergue - Cult of the Cobra (1955) - 8 1/2 X 11

• Like 1
On 6/4/2021 at 4:14 AM, Wayne said:

Three Cult of the Cobra cast members are still with us:

William Reynolds, age 89, who plays Pete, the cobra woman's final victim;

Kathleen Hughes, age 92, who plays the love interest of both Paul & Tom;

Myrna Hansen, age 86, who plays party girl Marian.

Wow. There must be something in that cobra venom........

Wayne, I'm curious. Whose picture is that in your avatar?

• Like 1

Hibi wrote:

Longtime Warner Bros. director/animator Robert McKimson.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Hibi wrote:

OK. Thanks.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, Wayne said:

On 6/11/2021 at 7:21 PM, Swithin said:

MV5BNjM5MGU0NGMtMjcyNS00YjhmLWIyN2MtNDRh

Looking forward to this one, don't think I've ever seen it before. It would float my boat if it was a movie about Jack Pierce:

722536039407cf4e72602fb4cd5db7e6.jpg

Stay tuned...after Svengoolie the STAR TREK episode afterward should be The Trouble With Tribbles episode with Scotty uttering the very best episode closing line ever-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Looking forward to this one, don't think I've ever seen it before. It would float my boat if it was a movie about Jack Pierce:

I haven't seen it in decades.  Many online comments about the film indicate that it might have been inspired by Pierce's career.  It's an AIP picture, and the studio mentioned in the movie is American International Studios, so perhaps many references and homages. I wonder if Sven's print will have the color final reel.

333-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's too bad they didn't get Whit Bissell to come in for a cameo scene. He could bump into Pete and say, "I heard about the change in plans, Pete. You really got a bum steer. I think you're one of the best."

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

And I NEVER recognize Gary Conway when I see him outside of Land of the Giants.

Having been prompted by your mention of Gary Conway here Dan, I've found that he's made a pretty nice living for himself since his acting career ended. His last film credit being in 2000.

It appears the now 85 year old former actor and his wife of 63 years, the former Miss America of 1957 Marian McKnight, have for years now owned a winery in one of my favorite locations within the Golden State...Paso Robles, California.

6oZLdDapW88BMJXNw07FbM=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

(...not bad I'd say)

• Like 1
On 6/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, Wayne said:

Sorry, I never commented on this- I thought the avatar was Charley Chase! McKimson cartoons are my favorite-characters are so bombastic!

charley_chase.jpg

• Thanks 1

Before Sven went over the cast, I told my SO that the main character played by Robert Harris was on Perry Mason a lot. Sure enough, that was the running gag throughout the host segments. I was cracking up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Before Sven went over the cast, I told my SO that the main character played by Robert Harris was on Perry Mason a lot. Sure enough, that was the running gag throughout the host segments. I was cracking up. 

Correct!

Robert H. Harris was born on July 15, 1911 in New York City, New York, USA  as Robert H. Hurwitz. He was an actor, known for Valley … | Robert, Mason  raymond, Actors

19 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sorry, I never commented on this- I thought the avatar was Charley Chase! McKimson cartoons are my favorite-characters are so bombastic!

charley_chase.jpg

I never noticed it before, but you're right; Chase and McKimson do resemble each other.

I love McKimson's films, especially from 1948 to 1954.  Some of the best Bugs Bunny cartoons from this era were McKimson's --- Hot Cross BunnyA Lad in His Lamp (both 1948); Rebel Rabbit, The Windblown Hare, The Greyhounded Hare (all 1949); What's Up, Doc?, Hillbilly Hare, Bushy Hare (all 1950); French Rarebit, Hare We Go, Big Top Bunny (all 1951); Oily Hare and Rabbit's Kin (both 1952).  Plus, he gave us Foghorn Leghorn, the Tasmanian Devil, Hippety Hopper, and Pete Puma!  I love Chuck Jones's take on Bugs (cool and clever) as much as I love McKimson's (loud and silly, or as you put it, BOMBASTIC!).  Unfortunately, his films suffered in quality in the era of smaller budgets and limited animation.  But he left us with some of Warner Bros.'s funniest cartoons.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Wayne said:

Hillbilly Hare

I thought that was an Art Davis one. Art Davis' daughter or granddaughter was on an early internet classic film newsgroup & she was amazed so many people loved his work. A Lad In His Lamp is a particular favorite among my brother & I: "What? Can't I even take a BATH?" and that wide swipe of the arm gesture! McKimson's loudmouth characterization of Foghorn  were the best because of those big sweeping gestures!

• Like 1