Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

On 6/12/2021 at 11:00 PM, Swithin said:

Svengoolie showed the print with the final reel in color! Not a bad film, with lots of nice homages.

How-to-Make-a-Monster-1958-3.jpg

I'd never seen this and it was pretty good!

• Like 2

I haven't seen Curse of the Undead in years and don't remember much about it, but it has a decent reputation. As horror westerns go, it has a better reputation than some of the others.

movie-buffs-forever-dvd-curse-of-the-und

hqdefault.jpg

22 hours ago, Swithin said:

As horror westerns go, it has a better reputation than some of the others.

A total bore, I actually fell asleep.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Swithin said:

I haven't seen Curse of the Undead in years and don't remember much about it, but it has a decent reputation. As horror westerns go, it has a better reputation than some of the others.

To each their own, but I found it a little TOO earnest, At least Billy the Kid Versus Dracula was entertaining in a cheesy way.

• Like 1

The vampire stuff was so inconsequential to the plot that it could have been deleted and it would just be a regular western. It’s like someone decided that was a trend so let’s just add a subplot of vampirism to the tired old trope of people trying to steal land from other people. 

• Like 3

it sure doan work for me either. a gunslinger-vampire?

a silly premise. it takes itself more seriously than Jesse James meets Frankenstein's Daughter or Billy the Kid vs Dracula but garbage is still garbage.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:33 AM, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, June 26, 2021:

(I don't know this film at all.)

Time Walker (1982)

timewalker4.jpg

THANKS! Never heard of it either, I'll be glued to the 60" Sony tonight! Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions tomorrow! 😎

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

THANKS! Never heard of it either, I'll be glued to the 60" Sony tonight! Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions tomorrow! 😎

BTW .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Walker

" TV Guide rated it 1/5 stars and called it a clichéd mummy film notable only for the non-traditional monster, which moves quickly.[6] David Linck for Box Office criticized the film's lighting and special effects. He also described its story as "all-too-predictable with little suspense or excitement to look forward to".[7]

Lou Cedrone for The Evening Sun declared the film as "instant camp" and should be enjoyed for its badness.[.......

"Though mercilessly ridiculed on Mystery Science Theater 3000, Time Walker is a naively charming low-budget horror and sci-fi thriller, a real throwback to a more innocent time.".............

:lol:

I first saw it way back on pay cable a few years after it's release. very bad and inept especially the senseless green tinting that's supposed to be the alien mummy's pov.

it is a totally worthless pos. the acting and dialogue is like they didn't give so much as a **** if they dumped a piece of excrement. I mean to see the likes of actress Antoinette Bower and Austin Stoker makes me think they were thinking only of their paychecks. this movie is truly awful and Kevin Brophy's acting is so bad he makes Dick Miller look like marlon brando.

they took a total pos thought up a fairly good title and came up with some poster art that is better than the movie itself.

Time Walker - Authentic Original 27x41 Folded Movie Poster at Amazon's  Entertainment Collectibles Store

I watched the second half, will watch the rest tomorrow -- maybe. I went to a lot of horror films in the early 1980s. Many of them fortunately featured Mary Woronov or the Day Georges. But they were mostly geared to a youthful audience, taking place in summer camps, or colleges, etc. So Time Walker fits that model to some extent. Lots of kids partying and making out. 

Lots of other tropes as well: the need to reconstitute something; a human who has an almost org_asmic connection with a monster or alien; trying to escape in a elevator shaft; a character that is such a b_itch you just want him to get a fungus on his hand; etc.

And that penultimate scene seemed to be a thing in 1982. Here it is from another movie made the same year.  

et-finger1.jpg

OK well I enjoyed it. It had MST3K written all over it & MrTiki confirmed is was #405. How did I ever miss that one?

Agreed all the acting was horrible, even semi successful Ben Murphy who imagined himself as Paul Newman Lite. Some of the dialogue was hilarious, especially the reporter who said, "DICK!" definitely geared to the younger/ET crowd. Love, love loved the gliding Mummy which I think was just an empty prop, no actor needed.

By far the best charactor was a University Doctor played by James Karen who overacted every line trying to make it sound important. Even in a group reaction shot, his eyes would be bugged out, mouth gaping, anything to catch the audience's eye. His performance just kept getting prissy-er & prissy-er.

james-karen.jpg?itok=-5z6EXlO

Here he offers another grimace in Return Of The Living Dead (Isn't that Dr the campus security guard from Time Walker?)

return-2.jpg

But as far as a movie goes, I thought it was a pretty good story, it moved along well and the special effects were pretty cute - gliding mummy, glowing jewels & the instantly corrosive fungus on the actors. I'd categorize this movie as an introduction to horror for younger kiddies. I like 80's horror movies. Silly, atmospheric, fun.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

By far the best charactor was a University Doctor played by James Karen who overacted every line trying to make it sound important. Even in a group reaction shot, his eyes would be bugged out, mouth gaping, anything to catch the audience's eye. His performance just kept getting prissy-er & prissy-er.

James Karen's claim to fame in the NYC area was via his Pathmark Supermarket commercials around 1980.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Swithin said:

James Karen's claim to fame in the NYC area was via his Pathmark Supermarket commercials around 1980.

Yeah same as my guy in Canada:

Shatner-Loblaws-1975-sep.jpg

I think I like her better as Maureen Robinson thank you.

the best space homemaker

lookit those fingernails

Portrait of actress, June Lockhart, who plays Maureen Robinson on the...  News Photo - Getty Images

Pin on Lost In Space

the beautiful June Lockhart

Lost in Space : News Photo

• Like 2

I always had what could now be called a M I L F crush on Lockhart  during my raging hormone addled adolescence.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, July 3, 2021:

This is a good one, with an excellent cast. 

swlhs.jpg?resize=518,381L

june-lockhart-in-she-wolf-of-london.jpg

It is a good one! 🙂