Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

30 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

What does PTSD stand for?

Post-traumatic stress disorder, brought about by 15 years in that awful prison (and the preceding war).

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You obviously do not know how to charm a lady. ūüėČJust joshin'.

Bela has a refined, smoldering quality that women can find exciting. Benicio DelToro has the intensity with none of the elegance-he's more "animal" like young Brando. Bela also has a beautiful body & posture, moving slowly & deliberately showing physical control. His face is pretty symmetrical too. 

Woah-not with THAT make up!

tumblr_ndmfviQ6UZ1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

PQTwFQQ.jpg

20f78763986443c557c6c9da59f865fa.png

I also find Karloff handsome & while watching the movie last night realized while so different, I like them both equally but for different reasons.

O, I've seen old photos of Lugosi(pre-American film career) in which he did appear to be a rather good looking guy, but not in any movies I've seen him in that TCM ever showed.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

You obviously do not know how to charm a lady. ūüėČJust joshin'.

Bela has a refined, smoldering quality that women can find exciting. Benicio DelToro has the intensity with none of the elegance-he's more "animal" like young Brando. Bela also has a beautiful body & posture, moving slowly & deliberately showing physical control. His face is pretty symmetrical too. 

Woah-not with THAT make up!

tumblr_ndmfviQ6UZ1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

PQTwFQQ.jpg

20f78763986443c557c6c9da59f865fa.png

I also find Karloff handsome & while watching the movie last night realized while so different, I like them both equally but for different reasons.

Hi, TikiSoo!   Respectfully, that middle picture does not look like Bela.  I used to own a fairly large Lugosi photo collection and thought I knew every nook and cranny of the man, lol.

Not sure who it could be, though.   

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That's a young Josef Stain, do you think Bela resembled him? And that's Bela playing Jesus in a stage role in Hungary

Ah!! I am avenged!   LOL

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

That's a young Josef Stain.

In his dreams. Stalin had bad skin from childhood diseases, so if it is uncle Joe, it is heavily doctored, which would not be unusual for photos from the Soviet archives. It is also apparently a mug shot. (Too bad they let him go.)

xibf5.jpg

Source here

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Updyke said:

I always felt that legendary TV newsman John Facenda looked like Bela Lugosi. :D

Yea,  those two did look alike.     Facenda and his broadcast were mentioned in the film The Burglar (1957),   with Dan Duryea,  Jayne Mansfield,  and Martha Vickers.

On Svengoolie tomorrow, July 31, 2021:

I don't remember whether I've seen this film, but one good sign is that the music is by Edward J. Kay, who was nominated for an Oscar for his great score for King of the Zombies (1941). Kay also produced Creation of the Humanoids. Although the date for the film is generally given as 1962, it was probably made in 1960.

1200px-The_Creation_of_the_Humanoids_Fil

• Thanks 3
43 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Don't know a single actor in the ad! This must really be bad!

But it's a Genie Production, released by Emerson Film Enterprises!

Somebody ponied up the money for Eastman Color, though, which gets top billing over any of the actors.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

But it's a Genie Production, released by Emerson Film Enterprises!

Somebody ponied up the money for Eastman Color, though, which gets top billing over any of the actors.

LOL! A major production for the drive in circuit........

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL! A major production for the drive in circuit........

Well, what did THEY care?  They likely weren't watching the flick from the backseat anyway.  ;) 

Sepiatone

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, what did THEY care?  They likely weren't watching the flick from the backseat anyway.  ;) 

Sepiatone

True!

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

The only name I recognize in the credits is the amusingly named Dudley Manlove, who was in Plan 9.

But here's something about the film that I found online:

‚ÄúNo other effort from the golden age of spacesuit melodrama entranced the 60s avant-garde as deeply as Wesley Barry‚Äôs¬†The Creation of the Humanoids, a deadpan talkie set after worldwide nuclear war, in which a¬†shrinking population of radiation-infected humans rely on an army of android servants to maintain their idyllic lifestyle. Andy Warhol called it his favorite movie; Mike Kuchar parodied it in his robots-in-love featurette¬†Sins of the Fleshapoids; Susan Sontag used it to explore the theme of dehumanization in her essay ‚ÄúThe Imagination of Disaster;‚ÄĚ and Robert Smithson dubbed it one of the ‚Äėlandmarks of Sci-fic.'‚ÄĚ

image-w1280.jpg?size=800x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Don't know a single actor in the ad!

You don't know the strapping hunk of man Don Megowan?

He starred in two of my favorite 50's svengoolie items - The Werewolf (shown here on TCM not too long ago) and the underrated chapter The Creature Walks Among Us (the best of the two "Creature" sequels).

• Thanks 1

Here's a piece about Andy Warhol and his favorite film, Creation of the Humanoids:

http://www.rebeatmag.com/fantasia-obscura-story-human-replication-andy-warhols-favorite-film/

"The film had one strong champion, Andy Warhol. The film was his favorite, as stated in a review of one of his openings in The Village Voice from December 3, 1964, and it’s easy to see why: the themes of creation and replication, the inability to divide the natural from the crafted, certainly appealed to his aesthetic, and guided his vision through most of his artistic career. Warhol could take the themes raised in the film and present them in a way that would resonate with the viewer. In his hands, how he tackled the questions raised by The Creation of the Humanoids became art."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
On 7/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, 37kitties said:

He starred in two of my favorite 50's svengoolie items - The Werewolf (shown here on TCM not too long ago) and the underrated chapter The Creature Walks Among Us (the best of the two "Creature" sequels).

LOL! i did see the Werewolf, but the name didn't register. I'll look to see if he looks familiar.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:52 AM, Hibi said:

On 7/30/2021 at 12:42 PM, 37kitties said:

And, who...image-original.jpg?1506150630

...is very hard to tell apart from Rod Cameron...76224.jpg&h=300

(...or at least I've always thought so, anyway)

• Like 1
On 7/25/2021 at 5:59 PM, LuckyDan said:

It's Don Ameche

LOL

Naaaah, looks more like George Brent to me, Dan!  ;)

• Haha 1