Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

22 minutes ago, brianNH said:

LuckyDan:  My knowledge of Svengoolie is really only over the last couple of years.  I have seen lots of comments here and there about how things were better on the show back in the old days.  I assume that's true, but as a vestige of the late night horror show genre, I still find him dopily enjoyable. 

To tell you the truth, the most off-the-wall bonkers, absolutely insane horror movie show guy was Ron Sweed, known as "The Ghoul."  He was out of Cleveland, Ohio; and when I lived in Port Huron, Michigan in the mid-1970's the Ghoul was on our cable line-up.  I can't even begin to do justice to this freakshow;  you'll just have to look it up and see what you can find out.  Simply insane stuff.  (Hint: there was a rumor that he was kicked off the air for blowing up a live frog with a firecracker!). Holy Cow! I miss the guy!

In the meantime, times being what they are, Svengoolie will do.

I've watched him since 2012, and when I was more active on Twitter there was a lively #Svengoolie hash tag (which MeTV started promoting after we had it trending every Saturday night for several months) so that's what I miss about the old days. Plus my granddaughter and I would make an evening of watching the Me line up on Saturdays. That's what I'm missing, really. Sven is still the same. 

PS. The frog blower upper. That would be illegal I'm pretty sure. Hoping it is untrue. 

PPS I just read a few pieces on Ron Sweed and while all mentioned his use of firecrackers none mentioned, i am happy to note, frogs.

I became (sort of) converted to Svengoolie a few years ago. But I miss Zacherley, every night on Channel 7/ABC in NYC, right after the Ben Hecht Show. I pleaded with my mother to be allowed to stay up! He had the whole Universal horror library at his disposal, pretty much everything from 1931-1946.

14724503_10154102561596139_8873918594164

Lest anyone think too unkindly of him, I'm pretty sure the firecracker rumor was just that -- a rumor.   Though each week when I was watching the show, he set off all kinds of fireworks and probably sent the censors fleeing to a sanitarium.  Kinda makes me proud to be a native of Cleveland!  (Though I only lived there for the first 2 years of my life). Incidentally, I think we have a fairly good number of people from Ohio on these boards, and I wonder if any of them remembers the Ghoul from back then.

Now, I find very heartwarming that you and your grand-daughter could spend that time together.  Very pleased to see that, and I'm looking forward to doing similar things when my son and daughter-in-law have kids.  

Have a great rest of the night watching Abbot and Costello.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Lest anyone think too unkindly of him, I'm pretty sure the firecracker rumor was just that -- a rumor.   Though each week when I was watching the show, he set off all kinds of fireworks and probably sent the censors fleeing to a sanitarium.  Kinda makes me proud to be a native of Cleveland!  (Though I only lived there for the first 2 years of my life). Incidentally, I think we have a fairly good number of people from Ohio on these boards, and I wonder if any of them remembers the Ghoul from back then.

Now, I find very heartwarming that you and your grand-daughter could spend that time together.  Very pleased to see that, and I'm looking forward to doing similar things when my son and daughter-in-law have kids.  

Have a great rest of the night watching Abbot and Costello.

We are still good buds, even now that she is a middle schooler. She's more interested in video games these days, but she will stay up and watch the old shows with me when she visits. Back then there were times I'd have to switch off the movie because she found it too creepy. Sven didn't start till 9 then so she would usually fall asleep on the sofa beside me. 

Someone said of parenting, and I know it to be true, it involves long days and short years. You have much to look forward to as a grand parent.

And I have heard of Sweed before, now that I read up on him. His story and Rich Koz's are quite similar. They both began as fans of the originator of their respective characters. Both never harmed frogs. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, brianNH said:

I actually don't remember the last time we watched TCM on Saturday nights -- something we always used to do  jut a few years ago.

Since ME-TV changed the Sci-Fi Saturday line-up, our viewing habits changed a bit. I couldn't sit through Wonder Woman/Lost In Space waiting for Svengoolie or Star Trek, my two favorites. Now we tune in around 7p to see some Stooges before the movie. 

Very glad they pushed Svengoolie forward to 8-10p so more kids could watch. I love Star Trek, but we both work Sundays, so Kirk out. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, brianNH said:

LuckyDan:  My knowledge of Svengoolie is really only over the last couple of years.  I have seen lots of comments here and there about how things were better on the show back in the old days.  I assume that's true, but as a vestige of the late night horror show genre, I still find him dopily enjoyable. 

To tell you the truth, the most off-the-wall bonkers, absolutely insane horror movie show guy was Ron Sweed, known as "The Ghoul."  He was out of Cleveland, Ohio; and when I lived in Port Huron, Michigan in the mid-1970's the Ghoul was on our cable line-up.  I can't even begin to do justice to this freakshow;  you'll just have to look it up and see what you can find out.  Simply insane stuff.  (Hint: there was a rumor that he was kicked off the air for blowing up a live frog with a firecracker!). Holy Cow! I miss the guy!

On the old SCTV there was a regular segment called Farm Film Celebrity Blowup with John Candy and Joe Flaherty as hick movie hosts who'd invite a celebrity and blow them up mid-interview. Totally stupid but fun. Also, Flaherty had his own segments as Count Floyd on Monster Chiller Horror Theater and the running joke was his trying to make very mundane plots and characters sound horrifying, because he was stuck showing whatever the station provided to him.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm sure I've seen A&C Meet Dr. J and Mr. H before but so far, watching Sven's intro, no deja vu. Looks fun though. 

I think this one is my favorite of A&C's 1950s films. Boris Karloff is a big part of why I feel that way. His Dr Jekyll is not a very nice guy in this, he is all too happy to change into Mr Hyde to kill his rivals. The Hyde character does not speak and is more animalistic than other portrayals.

A&C still take time for some funny bits. I liked the giant mouse scene and where Costello is reunited with Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula in a wax museum. Lou also gets turned into a chubby comedy version of Mr Hyde. The final gag is very funny too.

Sven had a funny bit where he plays both Bud and Lou. He had some trivia on the cast, I wish he would have mentioned John Dierkes, who plays Jekyll's menacing lab assistant. He was In Shane that same year, as another menacing character. He was also the preacher in the final shocking scene of X The Man With The Xray Eyes (1963).

• Like 2
13 hours ago, brianNH said:

Oh, YEAH!  The GHOUL overdey!  :D   Used to catch him every Saturday night in the early '70's in the Detroit area.  No cable there in those days though.  That furry hat and sunglasses with one lens missing is forever etched in my brain!  ;)   Sadly(and somehow oddly fitting) Sweed died April 1st(April Fool's Day) 2019 at age 70.  Yeah.  I miss the guy too. :( 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, September 18, 2021:

MV5BNTg5NjkxMjUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk1

ttnT-9Rr5ClG4wS04FbLtkpOGA6ah_1ZPwZM5CX0

Looking forward to this.....gotta love Bela's "Children of the night, what music they make!" line.

He's one terrific Dracula, though it is unfortunate he ended up getting typecasted way too much for the rest of his career.

• Like 3
On 9/17/2021 at 11:02 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Looking forward to this.....gotta love Bela's "Children of the night, what music they make!" line.

He's one terrific Dracula, though it is unfortunate he ended up getting typecasted way too much for the rest of his career.

Sven made the point that the only other time Lugosi played Dracula in a film was in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). The fact that it's still his legacy role is a testimonial to the power of his performance and characterization. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I didn't like the music that was added to the film.

He said the "stock" music came from some European Blu-ray release and that viewers of a previous showing had responded favorably, but I agree with you. No thanks.

• Like 1

On Svengoolie tomorrow, September 25, 2021:

I don't think I've seen this one. The writer (who was born in Transylvania!) also gave us, under pseudonyms, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, Horrors of the Black Museum, How to Make a Monster, and The Headless Ghost. Some say Blood of Dracula should have been called I Was a Teenage Vampire.

Blood of Dracula was made in 1957, one of the great years for horror films. Richard Devon, who played Satan in The Undead (also 1957), plays a detective in the film.

MV5BNjRmYTM4OTAtMzk3OS00ODFkLWEzYzUtOWI2

tumblr_pyv5wpFf8j1rgmfmpo3_500.gifv

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tomorrow, September 25, 2021:

I don't think I've seen this one. The writer (who was born in Transylvania!) also gave us, under pseudonyms, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, Horrors of the Black Museum, How to Make a Monster, and The Headless Ghost. Some say Blood of Dracula should have been called I Was a Teenage Vampire.

Blood of Dracula was made in 1957, one of the great years for horror films. Richard Devon, who played Satan in The Undead (also 1957), plays a detective in the film.

MV5BNjRmYTM4OTAtMzk3OS00ODFkLWEzYzUtOWI2

tumblr_pyv5wpFf8j1rgmfmpo3_500.gifv

I may have seen this one, but it's been a long, long, really long while. 

Will have to give it a look to see if I can refresh my memory. Freaky image I must say.