Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Early Nicholson-Arkoff and set in a girls school. I don't see anything to complain about here. 

blood-of-dracula-1957-13.jpg

What film are you referencing?      I ask because others are discussing Blood of Dracula,  the film for this Saturday,  which was released in 1957 and the above photo is dated 1974.   Also I don't see a link between Blood of Dracula and Nicholson-Arkoff. 

OK, the original movie poster has me hooked.  I think I can even talk the wife into watching it, too -- she's become a Svengoolie fan lately!  (I've been thinking of getting her Christmas present from the SvenStore this year; but, sadly, "No personal checks!")

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

What film are you referencing?      I ask because others are discussing Blood of Dracula,  the film for this Saturday,  which was released in 1957 and the above photo is dated 1974.   Also I don't see a link between Blood of Dracula and Nicholson-Arkoff. 

The photo is stamped 1974, for whatever reason. Maybe a re-release or new rights owner, but those are obviously not 1974 girls. 

Blood of Dracula was AIP's follow-up to I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Found the still here

What movie were you thinking of?

2 hours ago, brianNH said:

OK, the original movie poster has me hooked.  I think I can even talk the wife into watching it, too -- she's become a Svengoolie fan lately!  (I've been thinking of getting her Christmas present from the SvenStore this year; but, sadly, "No personal checks!")

He has a store?

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, brianNH said:

Oh, Swithin, let the scales drop from your eyes!  Everybody got Merch these days!  Why even TCM, I hear, curates all kinds of gimcracks and gee-gaws.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Blood of Dracula is an AIP flick, hence the Nicholson-Arkoff connection.

Furthermore, Blood of Dracula is a Herman Cohen production, screenplay by Aben Kandel. It continues a common leitmotif in Cohen-Kandel horror movies: unwary "innocent" youth preyed upon, corrupted, and destroyed by sinister elders. Also see:

16 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Blood of Dracula is an AIP flick, hence the Nicholson-Arkoff connection.

Furthermore, Blood of Dracula is a Herman Cohen production, screenplay by Aben Kandel. It continues a common leitmotif in Cohen-Kandel horror movies: unwary "innocent" youth preyed upon, corrupted, and destroyed by sinister elders. Also see:

Nice to see the Horrors of the Black Museum trailer. It features Graham Curnow as Michael Gough's young assistant. Graham was a friend of mine, a dear, sweet man who was the partner of Victor Spinetti.  Gough turns Curnow into a monster in the film.

horrors-of-the-black-museum-6.png?w=700

• Like 1

Another film from that great year 1957 film which features a school/detention home for young ladies is The Man Who Turned to Stone.  The old folks who run the school (Victor Jory, Ann Doran) extract the youth juices from the young ladies so that they (Jory, Doran, et. al.) can live for hundreds of years.

The-Man-who-turned-to-Stone-1957-2.jpg

MV5BMWU2NTA3ZTAtZjE0Yy00ZmY0LTkwNzItODQ3

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Nice to see the Horrors of the Black Museum trailer. It features Graham Curnow as Michael Gough's young assistant. Graham was a friend of mine, a dear, sweet man who was the partner of Victor Spinetti.  Gough turns Curnow into a monster in the film.

horrors-of-the-black-museum-6.png?w=700

Interesting, I didn't know that Victor Spinetti was gay. I've seen only a few of the movies he was in -- the most memorable, for me, was A Hard Day's Night.

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

Another film from that great year 1957 film which features a school/detention home for young ladies is The Man Who Turned to Stone.  The old folks who run the school (Victor Jory, Ann Doran) extract the youth juices from the young ladies so that they (Jory, Doran, et. al.) can live for hundreds of years.

Yes, Youth, pay heed and beware of iniquitous Old Folks! They'll send you off to war, will you oppressive and burdensome debt, and dump on you a ravaged, polluted, and increasingly combustible planet Earth! Yea verily, the sins of thy fathers -- and mothers -- shall be visited upon thee!

But, that doesn't mean you can't have a good time!

. . . such as watching Nothing But the Night (the sole production by Christopher Lee's production company Charlemagne), in which the geezers are at it again -- preying upon tender, young chillun for their own selfish, nefarious benefit!

16 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

. . . such as watching Nothing But the Night (the sole production by Christopher Lee's production company Charlemagne), in which the geezers are at it again -- preying upon tender, young chillun for their own selfish, nefarious benefit!

I don't know Nothing But the Night at all, but what a cast! In addition to the leads, it has Diana Dors, Georgia Brown, Kathleen Byron, Michael Gambon, and Duncan Lamont! In Quatermass and the Pit, Lamont has one of the great OTT scenes in any horror film:

vlcsnap-2015-09-06-23h01m58s33.jpg

Duncan Lamont as Sladden in Quatermass and the Pit

3 hours ago, Swithin said:

I don't know Nothing But the Night at all, but what a cast! In addition to the leads, it has Diana Dors, Georgia Brown, Kathleen Byron, Michael Gambon, and Duncan Lamont! In Quatermass and the Pit, Lamont has one of the great OTT scenes in any horror film:

vlcsnap-2015-09-06-23h01m58s33.jpg

Duncan Lamont as Sladden in Quatermass and the Pit

Yes, Duncan Lamont definitely made his brief appearance in Quatermass and the Pit count! Lamont's histrionics might, arguably, be the most indelible performance in that Hammer Films classic.

In the 1953 BBC serial The Quatermass Experiment, Lamont was Victor Carroon, the doomed astronaut memorably portrayed by Richard Wordsworth in the Exclusive (Hammer) Films version.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:29 AM, Swithin said:

Blood of Dracula was made in 1957, one of the great years for horror films.

I thought this was an OK film. Sandra Harrison as the lead gives a decent performance. And those transformation scenes with the closeups and shadows give them a creepy feel.  As Sven explained it was very similar to I Was A Teenage Werewolf, the plot is basically the same, an evil adult experiments on a troubled youth and turns them into a monster. Both films take time out to have a character sing a rock n roll song.

Last night's film was only 68 minutes so it gave Sven more time for his trivia, songs and skits. Although I did not recognize hardly anyone in the cast. The only one I knew was Malcom Atterbury, who plays the police lieutenant. One of his more memorable parts was his uncredited bit in North By Northwest, as the man out on the prairie who tells Cary Grant "That plane's dusting crops where there ain't no crops".  He was also in the short lived 1970s TV series Apple's Way, playing the grandfather. This was another series created by Earl Hamner (The Waltons). Atterbury guest starred on many TV shows like The Odd Couple, as  a funny elderly glue executive who listens to Felix and Oscar's presentation for a new type of glue. He was also in The Rookies, another 70s show, as a wino who witnesses a murder.

Malcolm Atterbury - IMDb

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I thought this was an OK film. Sandra Harrison as the lead gives a decent performance. And those transformation scenes with the closeups and shadows give them a creepy feel.  As Sven explained it was very similar to I Was A Teenage Werewolf, the plot is basically the same, an evil adult experiments on a troubled youth and turns them into a monster. Both films take time out to have a character sing a rock n roll song.

Last night's film was only 68 minutes so it gave Sven more time for his trivia, songs and skits. Although I did not recognize hardly anyone in the cast. The only one I knew was Malcom Atterbury, who plays the police lieutenant. One of his more memorable parts was his uncredited bit in North By Northwest, as the man out on the prairie who tells Cary Grant "That plane's dusting crops where there ain't no crops".  He was also in the short lived 1970s TV series Apple's Way, playing the grandfather. This was another series created by Earl Hamner (The Waltons). Atterbury guest starred on many TV shows like The Odd Couple, as  a funny elderly glue executive who listens to Felix and Oscar's presentation for a new type of glue. He was also in The Rookies, another 70s show, as a wino who witnesses a murder.

I agree, it's an OK film. I think the performances were decent. I wasn't familiar with any of the cast either, apart from Atterbury and Richard Devon, who  played Satan in The Undead.

undead4.jpg

Blood of Dracula is unusual in that the mad scientist is a woman. Although there are women who are mad scientist helpers in many films, there aren't too many who are actually the main mad scientist. Two are Gale Sondergaard in The Spider Woman Strikes Back (who is a sort of mad scientist) and Laura Bowman in Son of Ingagi. The latter film also has the distinction of being perhaps the first all-black horror film.

blood-of-dracula-1957-53.jpg?w=829

Louise Lewis (left) in Blood of Dracula

mqdefault.jpg

Gale Sondergaard in The Spider Woman Strikes Back

SON07.jpg

Laura Bowman in Son of Ingagi

• Like 1
On 9/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, Swithin said:

LOL. I hope this turns up on the show!