Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

on svengoolie tonite

4 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie Tonight, November 27, 2021:

The Devil's Rain (1969)

I have a vague memory of this film being a big bore.

the-devils-rain.jpeg

And you would be right. I'm looking forward to Sven's take on it.

• Like 2

Φ NOTES 'n' NUGGETS Φ

I feel ♦compelled♦ to add my 2¢ worth because I like THE DEVIL'S RAIN.  In fact, I've seen the movie enough to know that "the devil's rain" is not really explained as to what it ACTUALLY is.  I concluded from repeated viewing that the 'Rain' is a form of >preservative< for the souls contained in the large bauble!   😈

And for viewers watching don't ask yourself such silly questions as "Why is this form of 'devil rain' NEEDED as a preservative of these souls?"  Answer:  BECAUSE IT *IS*, ya dig?   Who cares why!  This was NOT meant to be sophisticated fare for the 'Enlightened Humans Of The 1970s'.  Got it?  :D

I've seen THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975) a number of times.  Like 7 or 8.  I bought the old VCI 'Command Performance' VHS release over 20 years ago and watched it from that tape on several occasions.  → But it was 'panned-and-scanned' as you might expect for an early 1980s VHS release.  However, in the late 1990s VCI issued it on VHS in it's OAR of 2.35:1.  Given the expanse of desert this movie takes place in it makes a lot of difference!  Which is why I "double-dipped" on VHS to get hold of the W/S tape.

It does not look like the version of "The Devil's Rain" being screened tonight on Svengoolie is proper 2.35:1 print.  → I concede I could be wrong, but having watched the W/S VHS from VCI more than once it just doesn't look like the '2.35:1' version was being utilized for tonight's showing.    

To me, THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975) is kind of a fun movie that's way too easy to pick on.  It does what it promises to do -- minimal as it may be.  Everyone melts at the end and there's all kinds of devilish goings-on.  And that's what this movie promises.  And to that end:  It Delivers. 

NOTE that Tom Skerritt plays a character here who is battling >AGAINST< the Demonic Forces; in an episode of "Kolchak:  The Night Stalker" filmed around the same time [remember 'Kolchak' ran one season:  1974-75 -and- "The Devil's Rain" was released in '75].  Tom was playing a devilish disciple seeking power in politics in KOLCHAK who has no compunctions about killing!  → Kolchak finds himself battling Skerritt at the end of the episode so I found it to be an interesting contrast between Good Tom and Killer Devil-Worshiping Tom!   

THE DEVIL'S RAIN was filmed with Mob money.  BRYANSTON PICTURES was Mob-run.  Louie Peraino, I think.  I believe Ernest Borgnine said he wasn't paid for his efforts in the film, either.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

Something Else:  I find some devilish parallels between THE DEVIL'S RAIN and THE CAR (1977).  "The Car" was first released on video in 1997 by Anchor Bay on VHS in both 'Full Screen' and 'W-I-D-E-S-C-R-E-E-N' versions.  Given that 'THE CAR' was filmed in 2.35:1, just like "The Devil's Rain", I determined when it first came out to buy the W/S tape for obvious reasons.  The expanse of desert scenery in "The Car" made it well worth it to snag the W/S tape instead of the 'Full Screen' VHS.  📼   👍

I bought the 1971 movie TWO-LANE BLACKTOP in W/S from Anchor Bay as well.  Like A/B did with "The Car" they offered a 'Full Screen' version on VHS, too, but I opted for the W/S issue tape.  The biggest complaint I've found about old VHS tapes is the fact the studios and video companies used to release them in 'Full Screen' or 'Pan-and-Scan' versions because they got complaints from people in the 1980s that "my Tv screen isn't being filled up" and "What are these 'black bars' doing on my television screen?  Where's' the rest of the movie?".  Complaints like that seemed to dissuade studios and video companies from releasing their wares in proper W/S ratios until the early-to-mid 1990s when more movies were finally being issued in 'W-I-D-E'.  Not a lot of movies overall, but definitely some. 

→ I don't know if any studio or video company in the 1980s or early '90s actually said what THE ▬ Black Bars ▬ were -- which was un-needed screen space. Maybe it would've helped more movies to be released in their proper OAR on tape instead of such a minimal amount of movies being issued in proper W/S.   I dunno?  Too late now to make any difference, anyway!

I make it a point to track down movies I like if I find they were issued tape in W/S.  Like THE DEVIL'S RAIN, THE CAR, WOLF (1994), SILVERADO (1985) and plenty of others . . . 

Sorry for being so "wordy" here; I was in a "Typing Mood"!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I watched some of it tonight.  In between IDA LUPINO and WILLIAM SHATNER it was like "battle of the wigs" (his looked great, hers, not so much...) 

The story-line was nonsense, and ERNEST BORGNINE was GREAT as the villain with some of the DUMBEST lines he ever had to emote.  Classic cheez with mold!  Boring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I hadn't seen the film in decades. Tonight I watched the last 15 minutes. I did not like the ending (although I didn't realize there was a gay subtext!)  There was no release, although I guess that was the way in the 70s/80s. Peter Shaffer and Shakespeare would not have approved! There seems to be a bit of Crowley in it, as well as a few Goat of Mendes/Baphomet references.

I think TCM should have devil worship films as SOTM. There could be some great comparing/contrasting, and lots of analysis. They could show the absolute bottom of the barrel of this type of film: Disciple of Death (1972).

u1HiYTs6GaojBt1alxcGaQkJZbD.jpg

• Like 1

@SWITHIN:  I have that movie on the UNICORN Video label.  I've even watched it.  (Admittedly, it's been a while).  It was filmed in Cornwall, England.  Mike Raven's real name was  "Austin Fairman", btw.

ALSO:  Those old-time UNICORN Video 3-piece embedded clamshell 'Horror/Suspense'-genre releases can sell for a fat chunk of $change$.

Well I was busy cleaning up a Saturday Thanksgiving shindig when I remembered Svengoolie was on. DARN IT. I missed the first 35-40 minutes and turned it on just to see Shatner get killed. Couldn't believe a missed opportunity to see a Shatner "performance" I had never seen before.

ShatnerTheDevilsRain1975-2.jpg

I had missed ALL the scenes with Ida Lupin in them....WAH! This movie had a similar atmosphere of GARGOYLES- sunny, schlocky but over the top effects that bring a creepy feel to it. It certainly had several big name actors in it. 

At least Svengoolie told the story of the actors' faces been cast for rubber masks for their "melting" scenes. Shatner's mask (or mold) is the one used later for the HALLOWEEN movies. (this pic shows just a partial prosthetic)

splash_780-924.jpg

The melting/oozing ending just looked like a fire in a wax museum. Messy. But I was impressed with Borgnine's make up, I was expecting him to be wearing a goat "head" like a gorilla suit head-the make up RULED.  Sometimes it's a good thing Sven repeats movies in a regular cycle so I'll get another opportunity to watch this silly stinker.

THE DEVIL'S RAIN was only rated [PG] in 1975, btw. 

Another 1975 movie with 'Old Scratch' as a plot point:  RACE WITH THE DEVIL was also rated [PG] after the nude coven scene was •fogged• so you couldn't see the naked girl parts.  Or maybe the right term would be 'optically blurred'? 

The FOX MOVIE CHANNEL shows "Race With the Devil" frequently, btw.

there is also The Brotherhood of Satan concerning some satanically possessed kiddies. it has a killer toy and hapless victims killed by psychically induced convulsions.

they couldn't get Ernest Borgnine so they settled for Strother Martin.

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/brotherhood-of-satan-1971-doc-duncan-strothers-martin-ending.jpg

THE BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (1971) was made by mostly the same bunch o'folk who made THE WITCHMAKER (1969).   A couple of the same actors are in both movies (Alvy Moore, Helene Winston). 

THE WITCHMAKER was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Filmed in and around the Louisiana swamps.  JOHN LODGE played "Luther the Berserk". 

---------------------------------------------

Φ  STROTHER MARTIN in '71 basically played the same kind of character Ernest Borgnine did in "The Devil's Rain" a few years later.  

Φ  DEVIL DOG:  The Hound of Hell (1978-Tvm) was a fun-filled TVM with a good cast fighting off a possessed pooch!   Richard Crenna, Yvette Mimieux, Ken Kercheval among others. 

Φ  SUMMER OF FEAR (1978-Tvm) was a Wes Craven-directed TVM with Linda Blair, Lee Purcell, Jeremy Slate, Carol Lawrence and Macdonald Carey.  

Were all these films with the "Devil" made after the huge success of THE EXORCIST? I think one of the keys of that movie's success was not showing Satan, either as human, beast or CGI demon. Although I did respond to the 3 second "Captain Howdy" grimacing face:

captain-howdy.jpg 

THE EXORCIST was released in 1973 so "Brotherhood of Satan" and "The Witchmaker" were not influenced by it. 

MAGDALENA, vom Teufel Besessen (1974-West German) was influenced by "The Exorcist".  Magdalena foams at the mouth, vomits up a snake and tells her local Priest where to stuff the Communion wafer . . . fortunately there's an "English-dubbed" version of MAGDALENA so I could watch it without guessing at the dialogue (as I don't speak German). 

• Thanks 1
On 11/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, TikiSoo said:

Well I was busy cleaning up a Saturday Thanksgiving shindig when I remembered Svengoolie was on. DARN IT. I missed the first 35-40 minutes and turned it on just to see Shatner get killed. Couldn't believe a missed opportunity to see a Shatner "performance" I had never seen before.

ShatnerTheDevilsRain1975-2.jpg

I had missed ALL the scenes with Ida Lupin in them....WAH! This movie had a similar atmosphere of GARGOYLES- sunny, schlocky but over the top effects that bring a creepy feel to it. It certainly had several big name actors in it. 

At least Svengoolie told the story of the actors' faces been cast for rubber masks for their "melting" scenes. Shatner's mask (or mold) is the one used later for the HALLOWEEN movies. (this pic shows just a partial prosthetic)

splash_780-924.jpg

The melting/oozing ending just looked like a fire in a wax museum. Messy. But I was impressed with Borgnine's make up, I was expecting him to be wearing a goat "head" like a gorilla suit head-the make up RULED.  Sometimes it's a good thing Sven repeats movies in a regular cycle so I'll get another opportunity to watch this silly stinker.

Tubitv is streaming Devil's Rain, free.

• Thanks 1

OH, yeah!  I remember this one.  This is just flat out bizarre stuff.  Clouds hanging out around the Alps causing people to disappear, right?  

The movie poster does its best to get you in to see it.  After that, you're on your own.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, brianNH said:

OH, yeah!  I remember this one.  This is just flat out bizarre stuff.  Clouds hanging out around the Alps causing people to disappear, right?  

The movie poster does its best to get you in to see it.  After that, you're on your own.

Yea this one creeped me out as a kid. It was on Million Dollar Movie on local station WOR TV 9 NYC. It was one film that they played every day for a week. I never saw that poster and watched it cold turkey. I must have been 6 or 7 years old. When the doors of the inn get pushed open and you see what was pulling the heads off of mountain climbers it was really something, I watched it a few times during that week, lol.

• Like 5