Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Naming babies after your favorite stars

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has or is considering naming their child after a famous actor or actress. Im not planing on having children for a while, but I plan on naming at least one after one of my favorite actors. I have a friend who is named Marlene, and one named Bette. I think that so cool.

Well, I didn't name my child after a star, but I did name one of my dogs after a famous actor of the early 30's.

She was a wild thing as a puppy, and liked to bite when she played, so we named her "Bailey Lugosi" in honor of Bela.

Something to think about, even though I'm sure you have the best of intentions - if you choose to name your child after someone (anyone, but especially a well known personality), you've already labeled your child with a handicap. Whether the person you name them after is "unimpeachable" or not, they'll immediately be compared to that person and/or be subject to teasing if (e.g.) the named actor or actress is known to them or their peers. It may seem "cool" to you now, but it probably won't when you get (or your child gets) older. Remember, they will have to live with your choice into adulthood and (probably) for the rest of their lives.

My advice (since you asked) would be to choose a name that you like, perhaps even a unisex one if they're female, that's more traditional. Like it or not, from peer pressure in their younger years through their business life, they'll be judged (first, even if only in a small way) by their name. You don't want your college graduate to have to put only their initials on their resume to keep some Human Resources wonk from prejudging their qualifications just because of their name.

I'm guilty, since we named both of our girls after movie stars. Veronica after Veronica Lake and Audrey after Audrey Hepburn.

Happy to say there were no repercussions throughout their lives, and both girls never had a problem dating the guys. And Veronica turned out to be a stickler with her hair, which is long, like you know who.

We don't regret it one bit. And I doubt that Miss Lake and Miss Hepburn would mind.

I think it's neat to name your child after a favorite star. I'm only twenty, and don't plan on being a mother for a little while, but I already have a few ideas, like Clara Rose, Clara for Clara Bow of course, and then Rose was my great grandmothers middle name and she was quite the flapper herself. Another name I love is Harlean, which was Jean Harlow's real name. My sister came up with a really great, fun name, too: Tippi Fay, after Tippi Hedren and Fay Wray.

When my wife and I were discussing names for our daughter, the first name that popped into my head was Sydney. I had been thinking about Sydney Chaplin earlier and, once I'd said the name, there was no going back. For her middle name, I mentioned Marlene, because I've always admired Dietrich (for reasons other than her eyebrows), and it seemed to go well with Sydney. Somehow the name got altered to Marlena. Not sure how but I don't mind the misspelling much. Kind of personalizes it. Now that Sydney's four, she loves her name.

I had a friend who used to name her dogs after stars she particularly disliked--she's had one named "Bo" for Bo Derek and another named "Farrah" for Farrah Fawcett. Says if she had another dog now, she'd name her Jessica or possibly J-Lo.

I am planning on naming my daughter (if I have one) Audrey after Audrey Hepburn, and also just because I love that name. One of my grandma's named her daughter Barbara after Stanwyck and my other grandma named a daughter Debbie after Reynolds and a son Dennis after Morgan (her heart-throb as a teen).

My wife and I had originally planned to name our daughter Colleen but it didn't go with the middle name. "The Quiet Man" being one of my favorites made me think of Maureen O'Hara. That went much better with her middle name. She likes her nickname, Mo, better.

Hello,

Several years ago, I was screwing around with one of the "white pages" websites. I was new to the internet and...well, I was screwing around. I was entering names and searching the United States for telephone numbers.

Did not find a "Flintstone, Fred". Found one "Flintstone, Pebbles". Do you think "Pebbles" was a given name?

Rusty

My kids names are Matthew, Mark, Luke and Jean (feminine John). Believe it or not, it started out unintentional, even though I'm a Christian.

I named my daughter, Jean, after my mom, and spelled it Jeanne, because of Jeanne Crain. Just a different, prettier spelling. Then I had my first son, and named him Mark because I really like the name Mark. The same with Luke, I named my second son Luke because I just love the name. When my daughter was pregnant, she wanted to carry on with the gospel names, so she gave me the choice of Matthew or John. It was then that we realized (we were stupid not to have realized it earlier, I'm sure) that Jeanne is the feminine form of John, so we picked Matthew. Even though the little guy knows Jeanne is his birth mom and he has "two moms", I have legal custody of Matthew, I call him my son and he calls me 'mom'. So - in effect, my children are all named after the gospels. When I get confused, I just call "whatever gospel you are, quit it" . . . or whatever the case might be. *smile*

I tell them they are lucky their names aren't Errol, Tyrone and Orson. heheh

I remember when I was pregnant with my oldest ( who we named after an Elvis Costello song, btw) it seemed like a lot of girls where named Crystal, and all the spelling variations there of. It dates you I think because all those girls are now in their early 20's. We did name our son after an old west figure and thought we would be the only ones with that name. First visit to the pediatrician and there where 2 other Garretts. Next 3 kids we named after family members. Although I did want to name another daughter after Sydney Greenstreet.

I've know a couple of Myrna who had no idea who Myrna Loy was, they just know they where named for her.

I generally name pets for stars: Stan, Ollie, Curly, Moe. Or character names: Uncle Buck (a steer), Earp (a lamb), Miss Piggy.

Sorry no, it's Alyson. She hates Elvis Costello, btw. The song came out a long time before she was even thought of, but I liked the name and didn't know anyone named that. Still don't. Also the character Alys in The Lion In Winter was a factor too. I liked the spelling.

Forgot that my cousin was named Katheryne after Hepburn. We are big on "Y's" in my family.

I remember that Gregory Peck ran into alot of Atticus Finch namesakes on a documentary I saw awhile back on TCM. They were either named Atticus Finch or Atticus was their middle names and he found that Mocking Bird had inspired lots of these people to become lawyers. I have a friend who named her daughter Mallori after the character on Family Ties. I don't know if the spelling is the same but that is who she is named after.