Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's the favorite of young fans?

RetroBrittz

14??!!! I'm impressed! I just watched "Courage of Lassie" Easter weekend with my 16 and 21-year-old neices and the elder's fiance, and they laughed all the way through it. They don't appreciate the classics. Glad there's a younger crowd that does enjoy them. Since I was born well after most of the movies were made, I considered myself relatively young compared to most oldies fans, at least until I read your post. :-( But I'll still list my favorites. Jack Lemmon, Leslie Caron, Margaret O'Brien, Teresa Wright, Walter Brennan.

My son is 13 and lives in a different state (the scars of divorce) so we talk on the phone a lot. most of the time while we're talking,I'm watching TCM. so now he watches TCM so he can have something a common with me. He really got into silent's which surprised me. I have purchased him a few silent's like "The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari and Birth of a Nation. His favorites are Bogart, Cagney and which through me, Conrad Veidt. hopefully younger folks will realize the importance of Classic films instead of being wowed by the special effect crap and go back to a time when movies had great stars, writers and great stories.

vallo

I am 21 and have been a fan since I can remember. My favorites are Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy, William Powell, Vivien Leigh, Ginger Rogers, Judy Garland, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Robert Taylor, Lucille Ball, James Stewart...ah the list goes on.....

I'm twenty years old and have been really into classic movies since I was fifteen or sixteen. At first I was a fan of the more well known classic film stars like Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Natalie Wood, etc. While I still love them, I have become more appreciative of the even older and less known stars. I am madly in love with Robert Montgomery; I smile whenever I think of him. I also like Clara Bow, Charles Farrell, Janet Gaynor, Norma Shearer, Karen Morley (she completely charmed me when I saw her in the TCM documentary "Complicated Women"), Rudolph Valentino, Richard Barthelmess, Joan Blondell, James Cagney, Dick Powell, Carole Lombard.....the list goes on.

This topic has forced me out of lukerdom... :)

I've just turned 20 and have been into classic films for roughly 10-12 years (I think. It's been so long since I saw Casablanca which was my first real exposure.) I'm a huge Richard Widmark fan, everything from Tunnel of Love to Kiss of Death. I've had a soft spot for Donald O'Connor and Alan Jones. Then there's Laurence Olivier, Richard Burton and Ronald Coleman. I'd be lying if I didn't mention Harold Lloyd and my other favorite silent comedian Buster Keaton. And last but not least Martin Milner who I consider one of the more under-rated actors around. Thank goodness for his television roles so I can see him in leading roles. And of course, how can I forget Robert Montgomery who I've been recently exposed to.

I'm still a teenager and my favorites are usually musicals. I love Gigi and Singin' in the Rain, Guys and Dolls. American in Paris. One of my other favorites is Jimmy Stewart's Harvey. I also enjoy Citizen Kane. Honestly, it's hard for me to really pick a favorite because i enjoy so many different types of films. The only thing i really don't like is westerns. Beyond that I enjoy just about anything. I watch more old movies than anything else.

One of the things I love most about being an old movie fan is it gives me a real connection to both my grandmothers who grew up with these movies. It's something about my busy life that they really have connection to and it's nice to have something that we have in common.

LaraKathleen, I know what you mean about having a connection to your grandmothers through old films. Whenever I watch the silents and films from the early thirties, I think about my great-grandmother, who was around my age when they were first released. She grew up just outside of New York City in the 1920's and 30's and she and her sisters would go on dates to see plays and movies and go to nightclubs. I first saw the movie "IT" with Clara Bow when I was seventeen, and I realized the movie was released in 1927, which would have made my great-grandmother seventeen as well. I wish I could talk to her and ask her if she's seen any of the movies I love so much, but unfortunately she died before I started watching classic films. Still, it's fun to watch movies from that era and imagine what she would have been like during that time.

My eldest grandmother was born in 1920 so she was in her 20's when a lot of the Cary Grant's were coming out and every time I go to her house I watch movies with her on her TV while we make dinner and set the table for the family dinners. My other grandmother has a large collection of films she taped off of things and I love going through them and watching them. She always seems to have a new one to recommend.

I imagine that if you took a poll of the most frequent posters on this forum, the majority would admit to having become fans of classic movies in their very early years. One of the earliest classics that I remember seeing is King Kong. I was a pre-schooler and it scared the crap out of me. As a youth, Shirley Temple movies, Abbott and Costello, Tarzan and anything with Laurel and Hardy became an event. I remember staying up late during the summer months when school was out and being introduced to Fred and Ginger, Powell and Loy, Tracey and Hepburn, Errol and Olivia, and numerous others.

Of course, when I saw these classics, they were much younger, too.

CharlieT

When I was a kid I would beg my parents to let me stay up past my bedtime because I wanted to watch some classic movie. I felt desperately deprived because I'd never seen Garbo nor My Man Godfrey. Invariably, when they'd say no to my plea to watch Casablanca or Citizen Kane, I'd reason with "but it's a classic!". Surely, then they'd understand and allow me to see these treasures. But no, they were unmoved. They'd roll their eyes and claim that I declared all movies "classics". But they are, I'd reply with as little guile as possible.

In retrospect, I realize that any movie made before I was born was "old" to me. And that alone gave it credence in my young mind. But to my parents, these movies were relatively new. I marvel that I was two when Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life was released. To me, it was a "classic old movie"; to my parents it was something that they saw at the Senator Theatre only a few years back. Singing in the Rain was released only 5 years before I was born -- yet I watched it as if it came from an entirely different time. I didn't realize that the woman televised on the "Judy Garland Show" was the same person as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

So now I wonder if some child begged me to stay up and see Gosford Park, would I understand his/her perception that this is an old classic. Or would I think, "Gosford Park? I just saw that in the theatre a few years ago. Go to bed!"

>

> One of the things I love most about being an old

> movie fan is it gives me a real connection to both my

> grandmothers who grew up with these movies.

That's the same with me. My grandmother was a partial gaurdian to me growing up so she was more like a second mother and along with my aunt who lives with her, she really started getting me into old movies starting with Marilyn and John Wayne as well as the old tv classic I Love Lucy. I still visit them all the time and we always have a new classic movie to watch together or maybe one of our old favorites like White Christmas, Red River, Niagra, Bus Stop, The Long Long Trailor, It Happened One Night etc.

When I was a kid, there weren?t a whole lot of early TV shows that I liked. Most of the weekly shows had similar plots over and over again, low budgets, and the same settings over and over again, such as the Lucy show. Back in the early days of television, the networks didn?t have programs all night long, and before the Tonight Show, the networks went off at about 10 pm. On the weekend I got to see many old movies that were shown by local stations late into the night. I noticed that these films often had unusual plots, exotic settings, and were very interesting, and were better made and higher budget than the top weekly network TV programs, so I watched a lot of them.

• 4 weeks later...

My first classic film I ever saw, was when I was 15. Dracula (1931) with Bela Lugosi. I watched it on TCM too! I had a huge crush on him. I had to see more of him and other classic movies. From then, I've been stupidly crazy for old movies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i'm 20 years old and first watched 'you've got mail' when i was much younger. it was my favorite film so after some research i recorded the original (sort of) 'the shop around the corner' with margaret sulliven and stewart.

i have to say my favorite actor is william powell. my first movie i saw him was 'i love you again' with his most favored co-star myrna loy. when first seeing him, i thought he was quite funny looking, now i think he has the signature look of classic hollywood. but after seeing him in 'my man godfrey' i can't help prefer him with stubble! who would have guessed 70 years later this would be the popular look?

my favorite actress is carole lombard... she was so versatile.

anyway, my grandfather loves classics, so he was quite shocked when the 'black sheep' starting watching them too. (i have an eye ring and everyone thinks i listen to metallica and black sabbath. so much for stereotyping: you should see people's faces when they hear bing crosby, bill monroe or the carpenters blaring out of my speakers in my little honda crx!)

i hope the popularity grows amongst young adults with these movies... they are such a blessing!

I recently turned 13 and my favorites are definitely Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, William Powell, Cyd Charisse, The Marx Brothers and many others, mostly in musicals. Unlike most young fans, I didn't grow up watching them and instead discovered them on my own, about a year and a half ago, when I happened to flip to TCM while they just started showing "The Bandwagon". I was hooked. I immediately watched every Fred Astaire movie i could find at the rental stores and read his biography.

Since then Gene Kelly and Bing Crosby have pushed Fred down to number 3 on my list but i still love him. I've read 1 Fred Astaire biography, 2 Gene Kelly biographies, 1 Bing Crosby biography, and I'm in the middle of a Marx Brothers one right now. Also I read a book about the Hollywood Musical and have an extensive movie library. I've become a young expert on classic movies (mostly musicals and comedies, but i can still hold my own discussing dramas) and have come to hate almost every movie made after 1960.

Bingo's Bing Crosby: The Definative Collection is a must have cd of his. had such unforgettable songs as swingin' on a star, now is the hour, in the cool, cool of the evening, simple melody (Sung with son gary), don't fence me in, and the unforgettable road to morocco.

i love bing... i thought he was a wonderful actor and can't wait to see him in 'going my way' on november 1st. never seen it, so i'm excited! my favorite film of his was 'we're not dressing.'

Oh I know I love that cd!!!!!! A definite must have! I think my favorite film of his is

"Going Hollywood" (for young Bing) and "High Society" (older Bing)......................................lol just realised those were both MGM films, what a coincidence that of all the movies he made I happen to pick two of the very few he made at MGM. but I also love the "Road to...." pictures.

My daughter is 14, and she likes Errol Flynn: "Adventures of Robin Hood," "Captain Blood," "Dodge City."

My son is 11. They both like Abbott and Costello comedies. She likes "A & C Meet Frankenstein" and he prefers "Pardon My Sarong" and "Buck Privates Come Home." They both like "In Society", and the Susquehanna Hat company routine sends them into stitches. They also like Danny Kaye's "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" tremendously.

My daughter also likes "It's a Wonderful Life."

Archived