Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

R.I.P. Glenn Frey

Glenn Frey, singer-songwriter and member of hugely successful band the Eagles, has died. Among their hits, he wrote "Lyin'Eyes", "Tequila Sunrise", and "Heartache Tonight".

He went solo in the 80's and had hits with "Smuggler's Blues" and "The Heat is On", among others. He ventured into acting as well, with roles in tv's MIAMI VICE and WISEGUY, as well as films such as JERRY MAGUIRE.

Glenn Frey was 67.

• Like 2

Glenn, Noreen Corcoran, Dan Haggerty, and probably our own Fred C. Dobbs.  Was everybody just waiting for the holidays to check out? 

All of these people were part of my life.  I remember bringing home my first color TV in 1977 and getting it set up just in time for Grizzly Adams.  Was that a feast for the eyes!  Glenn's music and performances on Miami Vice and Wiseguy showed what a talent he was.  We girls all dreamed of looking as good as Noreen in her Bachelor Father days.  And Fred C. and I had our go-arounds on the Board but I learned a lot from him and he was always willing to share his photos and transcripts of newsworthy historical moments.  if he really was Johann Rush, and I believe he was, I will miss him.  RIP, one and all.  

• Like 4

This is sad news.  My musical tastes mostly remain in an era before the Eagles, but i really like the Eagles.  A lot.  That surprises my kids, but Lordy!  What's not to like?  They were great!   

R.I.P.  Glen Frey.  

• Like 2

What a shame! The Eagles were scheduled to be celebrated at the annual Kennedy Center Honors in December, but they pulled out because of concerns about Frey's health. Now I suppose they'll be honored next year without him.

Frey's "The Heat Is On" was one of the best things about the "Beverly Hills Cop" soundtrack.

• Like 2

Yeah, it certainly seems abrupt, so young.

A friend of mine hit "big time" when he was signed on to play with the Eagles. My reaction was glad for his career but I would only tolerate a concert if they came to my hometown. 

I hated the Eagles and laughed out loud when that was a line Jeff Bridges said in THE BIG LEBOWSKI.

There's no denying Glenn Frey and all the band members are super talented musicians, writers & performers.

Sad news.

Sadder news is there are no talented band of musicians to take their place.

I'm more upset about this than I thought I'd be.

I watched the documentary The History of the Eagles when it came out in 2014, and Frey came off as a jerk. It seemed that all the turmoil could be traced back to him fighting with whoever. But I was a young woman in the 1970's and their music was there all the time. I still love Hotel California . And my late sister was in love with Glenn Frey. A flood of memories washed over me yesterday, some good and some painful.

RIP Glenn. You may have been difficult but you and your mates were important to me.

• Like 1

I'm more upset about this than I thought I'd be.

I watched the documentary The History of the Eagles when it came out in 2014, and Frey came off as a jerk. It seemed that all the turmoil could be traced back to him fighting with whoever. But I was a young woman in the 1970's and their music was there all the time. I still love Hotel California . And my late sister was in love with Glenn Frey. A flood of memories washed over me yesterday, some good and some painful.

RIP Glenn. You may have been difficult but you and your mates were important to me.

I was never a huge fan of the Eagles, but I love "Hotel California" and "Life in the Fast Lane".

I was never a huge fan of the Eagles, but I love "Hotel California" and "Life in the Fast Lane".

I'll go along with "Life In The Fast Lane", but have to side with critic TERRY LAWSON when he refers to the other song as, "Hotel Catatonia".

One thing I learned while reading Frey's obit in today's Detroit Free Press---

He was a long time friend of BOB SEGER.  And that friendship led to him doing some percussive overdubs on Seger's "Heavy Music", and later doing some acoustic guitar work on "Ramblin', Gamblin' man".

I first heard of and heard The Eagles back in early summer of '72 when they opened for, of all people, John McLaughlin and The Mahavishnu Orchestra at Detroit's Ford Auditorium.  Shows how differently concerts were done in those days.  The odd thing was that the jazz-rock oriented crowd in attendance of the first concert responded positively to The Eagles, while a few months later, after the band was established as a major player in modern music, and they then opened for YES at Cobo Arena, there were some guys in the audience yelling for them to "Get off the stage!".  This despite Their song "Witchy Woman" getting lots of highly requested airplay on local rock stations.

But we in these parts long had love and respect for The Eagles and the Detroit born, and Royal oak raised Frey.

The one thing the Freep obit didn't mention was Frey's foray into film acting.

It's a shame he's gone at such a young age relatively, and will be missed in the musical world for sure.

Sepiatone

• Like 4

I remember his guest starring role on a double episode of 'Miami Vice'. He was good.

Also remember the soundtrack of those episodes featuring his 'Smuggler's Blues' - probably his most fun solo track.

• Like 1

I'll go along with "Life In The Fast Lane", but have to side with critic TERRY LAWSON when he refers to the other song as, "Hotel Catatonia".

He was a long time friend of BOB SEGER.  And that friendship led to him doing some percussive overdubs on Seger's "Heavy Music", and later doing some acoustic guitar work on "Ramblin', Gamblin' man".

I first heard of and heard The Eagles back in early summer of '72 when they opened for, of all people, John McLaughlin and The Mahavishnu Orchestra at Detroit's Ford Auditorium.  Shows how differently concerts were done in those days.  The odd thing was that the jazz-rock oriented crowd in attendance of the first concert responded positively to The Eagles, while a few months later, after the band was established as a major player in modern music, and they then opened for YES at Cobo Arena, there were some guys in the audience yelling for them to "Get off the stage!".  This despite Their song "Witchy Woman" getting lots of highly requested airplay on local rock stations.

But we in these parts long had love and respect for The Eagles and the Detroit born, and Royal oak raised Frey.

It's a shame he's gone at such a young age relatively, and will be missed in the musical world for sure.

Sepiatone

Wow what odd combinations of rock acts 'back in the day'.    Back than since I was into progressive rock as well as learning to play jazz, I dismissed The Eagles and other groups like them.   But later on I came to appreciate their music.  I also learned how to play most of their 'hits' since when I would go to a party these were songs that most everyone knew how to play.    You know how it is,,,  everyone has their instruments (typically 3 or 4 guitar players!),   and we are all looking at each other, each wondering who would offer up a song to play.    After my failed attempts to get people to play All The Things You Are,  I decided to change tactics.  So I would yell out 'Hotel California' and the jam would get going!

• Like 2

Sad news indeed…man-for-man the eagles were arguably the most talented 5-member band, not just because of their song writing, playing talents but their unmatched vocal harmonies…no other 5-member band had such a core of diverse talent.

Will there be any more Eagle concerts in the Frey-less future?

Will Don Henley invite Don Felder back? (Another sad story)

I remember his guest starring role on a double episode of 'Miami Vice'. He was good.

Also remember the soundtrack of those episodes featuring his 'Smuggler's Blues' - probably his most fun solo track.

He also played Dennis Wilburn, the owner of the Arizona Cardinals in Cameron Crowe's 1996 hit "Jerry Maguire."

jm04.jpg

When driving between Sedona and my old stompin' grounds of L.A. and while out in the middle of nowhere between the Colorado River and Indio CA(90 minutes on I-10 of about the most desolate and boring landscape you're ever gonna drive through), I always pull out my Eagles' "On the Border" CD and pop that sucker into my truck's player.

(...RIP, Mr. Frey...you left us way too soon)

• Like 1

Sepiatone

You mentioned Bowie's lack of commercial success. You can't say that about the Eagles, America's most commercially successful band, EVER.

Guess Glenn's checked into his own Hotel California  ( where you can never leave.)

Don't know what Sepiatone is talking about when he disses "Hotel California". The only song by the Eagles I really really liked. 

The tone man's credo is, "When in doubt, diss."

• Like 2

Well, another one gone far too soon.  

I remember driving down the freeway at night in Southern California, the wonderfully sinister "Hotel California" blasting from the car radio.  

When I first saw the name "The Eagles" on the charts circa 1972, I thought it was the Philadelphia Eagles, who had released a Christmas album a couple years earlier.

• Like 1