Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hit the Deck

My mother was watching the film "That's Entertainment" the other week and saw a clip of "Hit The Deck" with Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds and Ann Miller. She said that she'd seen it in the cinema years ago, and as far as she knows it has never been on TV. Since then I've been trying to find it on DVD or video, but have had no success. I would love to here from anyone who has any information about this film... Thank you....

I was thrilled to see it on TCM a year or two ago. I owned the vinyl soundtrack and then the cd (which I believe is now out-of-print), so it was great to place the visuals with the sound. For instance, I was surprised to discover that one of the songs Jane Powell sings, is delivered to an robotic penguin! Why not go to the "suggest a movie" page and let 'em have it?

It is shown on TCM periodically. I love the Hallelujah! finale, especially the gold lame dresses that Ann Miller, Debbie Reynolds, and Jane Powell are wearing, each in a different style.

One thing about HIT THE DECK that really bothers me, though--the funhouse dance sequence is TOTALLY ripped-off from an earlier film, A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS! In that film, it's danced by Fred Astaire, George Burns and Gracie Allen. It's better and funnier. Of course, they were both choreographed by Hermes Pan, Astaire's choreography partner, so I guess he's kind of ripping himself off...

Sandy K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As I write this Hit the Deck is playing on TCM in celebration of Jane Powell Day as one of the "Stars Under a Summer Night". It's a bit of a treat: wide screen, some unusual casting (how many musicals feature Jane Darwell, Alan King, J. Carroll Naish?), great tunes, expert dancing (Ann Miller, Russ Tamblyn), joyous singing (Kay Armen, Tony Martin, Vic Damone, besides Jane herself).

Jack, it sounds like we share the same opinion about "Hit the Deck." I've always enjoyed this musical, and I've seen it many times. MGM used their greatest talents at the time, it has a great score, and the production numbers are outstanding. I've never understood why this movie is never mentioned when it comes to listing the greatest of MGM's musicals.

Terrence.