Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened today?

hamradio

My first thoughts were that perhaps the admin or someone in charge of this site's programming had finally attempted to rectify the ongoing spam issues we're experiencing, and so had had to suspend access to the forums section in these attempts.

(...well, okay...this was actually my SECOND thought, 'cause I TOO at first thought I had maybe said somethin' recently which had offended the TCM gods)

;)

• Like 6

Anyone being seeing this all mourning?

np2vwm.jpg

DNS poisoning.  The nameservers out there temporarily redirected to the wrong computers (via the wrong IP address). 

Here is what a simple query of their domain name/IP address looks like now.  I'll bet it would have been different earlier on today.

Also I see a different file naming convention, as you can see in the address window.  TCM uses ".php" extensions on their server, whereas this screen capture shows "cgi" file extensions and furthermore a "cgi-sys" page, which upon inspection, is likely to be a suspended Wordpress page.  So not even the same kind of server software.

• Like 5

DNS poisoning.  The nameservers out there temporarily redirected to the wrong computers (via the wrong IP address). 

Here is what a simple query of their domain name/IP address looks like now.  I'll bet it would have been different earlier on today.

Also I see a different file naming convention, as you can see in the address window.  TCM uses ".php" extensions on their server, whereas this screen capture shows "cgi" file extensions and furthermore a "cgi-sys" page, which upon inspection, is likely to be a suspended Wordpress page.  So not even the same kind of server software.

"I'm not a smart man."

Your tech savvy both frightens and impresses me. I'm like a chimp banging at the keyboard with his knuckles.

• Like 5

The last thing I remember was... Rich was telling some new guy how they could post a photo here and he revealed one of our deepest secrets about UR..[UMPH!! MMPPHHH! MPHHHHMPHHH!! MMM! MMM!] .. (sound of heels being dragged across linoleum floor and door slam reverberating in empty room).

• Like 4

Since I couldn't sign into the Boards, I went to TCM's facebook page and told them off real good. I didn't know I had it in me. I used all y'all's names so they'd know I meant business. They'll think twice about messin' with you guys again.

• Like 4

I found a thread about this on the Silver Screen Oasis boards, created back in October 2014. So I guess the same thing happened once before.

I was so upset, thinking I did something wrong that caused it... THEN I googled online and stumble on that very same site. *whew!* Ha ha!

• Like 3

It is my understanding that this forum is hosted by company other than TCM. It is different servers with different technicians from their main site.

I remember that it was conclusion the last time that this happened that TCM had to wait for a few more people to buy DVDs before they had the money to renew the hosting contract.

• Like 5

It is my understanding that this forum is hosted by company other than TCM. It is different servers with different technicians from their main site.

I remember that it was conclusion the last time that this happened that TCM had to wait for a few more people to buy DVDs before they had the money to renew the hosting contract.

Yes.  I did some more checking and that appears to be the case.  An "internal" conflict.  But not at TCM.

• Like 1

Pretty funny that at least half of the people on this thread (me included) assumed that it was something they had done to merit "account suspension!" Just call us paranoid.

I was so hoping that the message boards being offline meant they were installing a more hack-proof system or getting a different company (with better security protocols) to manage the message boards.  Sigh.  No doubt that step will not happen until the sale of many, many more dvds and, of course, many subscriptions to the Wine Club

Lydecker

• Like 5

...or more wine from Francis Ford Coppola, PERHAPS???

• Like 1