Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite music from non-musicals

Just finished watching "Too Young To Kiss" and remembered that the music was based on or actual works of my favorite composer, Edvard Grieg. His Piano Concerto in A Minor is my favorite classical piece and featured throughout the film. The only movie I've seen with more Grieg in it was his fictional biography, "Song of Norway."

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is also a classic for its music, and since it is my favorite movie, I have to give it a nod, too.

CharlieT

The incidental music from Grieg's Peer Gynt was also used for various movies ranging from Lang's M to Soylent Green. Come to think of it, there's a 1934 German version of the tale of Peer Gynt that uses the music. Has anyone seen the American version, made in 1941, and starring Charlton Heston?!

Fans of Mikl?s R?zsa might also like The Power - 1968 (directed by George Pal and starring George Hamilton & Suzanne Pleshette) sountrack available on CD as "Atlantis - Lost Continent/ The Power" from collector's choice:

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=FSM080022

This is taken from the original sountrack album master. Unfortunately that's all that survives of the original soundtrack. Quite possibly my all-time favorite soundtrack.

The entire score to Marie Antoinette (1938), The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Sea Hawk, The Bells of St. Marys, Cecil B. DeMille's The Crusades and The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman version).

• 1 month later...

I love the background music in ?Double Indemnity?. I never can remember it, and I can?t hum it, but as soon as I hear it in the movie I remember it and I think it was just great.

But the BEST music in any film (in my opinion) was the zither music in The Third Man.

Also, the bg music in King Kong was pretty good.

• 2 months later...

The sountrack for the Lon Chaney/Joan Crawford silent The Unknown. Not really the kind of sound I usually like, but something about the music combined with the action really stirred me up. I guess that's exactly what the background music in a silent movie is supposed to do, so the composer must be very talented. Loved it, loved it. :)

I've been trying to find out who performed the Hawaiian song - Pupu A'o Ewa (aka Pearly Shells) on Donovan's Reef.

Maybe you've already checked on IMDB:

>>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057007/board/nest/7401537<<

which tells little other than the name of the song.

I checked my (fairly old) book of Soundtrack albums - no album for Donovan's Reef. Sorry. There are lots of singles and albums with the song, but not the soundtrack, apparently.

The TCM database for the movie's music shows no singer, only:

Cyril Mockridge (Music)

Irvin Talbot (Cond)

Leo Shuken (Orchestration)

Jack Hayes (Orchestration)

I do have a few:The Heiress,The Greatest Story Ever Told,To Kill a Mockingbird,Now Voyager,Lion in the Winter, Julia,Marnie,A Women of Paris,Chaplin's score was superb throughout the movie,a silent with Lon Chaney,Sr, and Hotel;there are probably more I can't think of now.