Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RETURN of the TCM Programming Challenge

I know you guys and gals have been waiting for this one. :)

The Challenge: Holidays and TCM

Given the amount of discussion that we had on the boards about holiday movies and the lack thereof, here goes.

Choose one of the following holidays:

1) Valentine's Day, President's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Hannakah or Christmas

2) Plan an entire week's shedule around the holiday you choose. Schedules should begin on Sundays and end the following Saturday. On the date of your holiday, plan an entire schedule around that holiday.

Here are Path's original guidelines/rules which are still in effect:

1. Choose a Star of the Month - their films can consume one evening (usually 3-4 movies)

2. Have a theme for each of the other five evenings (e.g. link at least 2, and preferably 4, films with some common attribute); each evening should begin at 8 PM ET.

3. Use tcmdb.com or imdb.com to get running times so that you don't exceed 24 hours/day of programming for the week. You can fill in the "blanks" with Private Screenings and/or other short features, which you don't have to list if you don't want to, but try not to exceed 10-20 minutes between films (lest you lose your audience).

You can also use the tcm database to determine which studio(s) released which films.

4. Since there are roughly 9 premieres (e.g. films TCM must rent which are not in their library) in a given month, you can pick any 2 non-TCM library films (from Fox, Paramount, Universal, UA, etc.) to air during your week, all the rest must come from TCM's library.

Optional (other things TCM staff members do regularly)

5. Recognize actor's birthdays and/or do other unannounced tributes and film linkages during some of the days

6. Provide some range of genres and/or release dates in your selections (e.g. Comedy, Western, Musical, Romance, Historical, Biographical, drama, noir, silent etc. & films from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.)

7. Include some well known classics like Oscar winners (or nominees) and/or movies that have been added to the National Film Registry (e.g. to draw new viewers to the channel)

8. Have fun!

9. Choose a TCM Essential to run on Saturday night at 8 PM ET and Sunday night at 6 PM ET

Contest ends on May 31st

I will post a schedule template or two on this thread for those who don't want to create their own as well as which studio libraries TCM holds the rights to.

We had alot of fun with the first challenge and I hope more of the folks here will take up the challenge. In addition, I hope all who participated in the first Challenge will return and enjoy this one as much.

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Hi, Lynn,

Count me in. I'll start working on it.

One quick question: you want only the one day to be concerned with the holiday, right, not the whole week. For example, only February 14th will need be covered with films for VDay, not the whole week.

One quick question: you want only the one day to be concerned with the holiday, right, not the whole week. For example, only February 14th will need be covered with films for VDay, not the whole week.>>

Filmlover,

Yes, that's what I meant to say. Thanks for clarifying that for me and everyone!

Here's an example of a scheduling template for those who want to use it:

12:00 Cat People (1942) / RKO / 74 mins

1:30 I Walked with a Zombie (1943) / RKO / 69 mins

2:45 The Curse of the Cat People (1944) / RKO / 70 mins

4:30 The Ghost Ship (1943) / RKO / 69 mins

6:00 The Body Snatcher(1945) / RKO / 79 mins

You can, of course, create your own template if that is easier but it should contain the film title, year, studio and running time.

And thanks to Coffeedan, here's the studio libraries that make up the TCM film library:

The Turner library holdings consist of the pre-1986 MGM library, the pre-1949 Warner Brothers library, and the entire RKO library.

And the studios that films would have to be rented from if you chose films not in the TCM library or for your premieres:

Universal controls its own films, plus the pre-1949 Paramount talkies.

Paramount controls its own films from 1949 to the present, and all of its silent features.

Warner Brothers controls its own films from 1949 to the present, plus some independently produced films.

20th Century Fox controls its own films, plus the libraries of its pre-1935 corporate elements, the Fox Film Corporation and 20th Century Pictures, Inc.

The newly-created corporate entity Sony/MGM probably controls both the entire Columbia/Tristar library and the MGM library from 1986 to the present.

If you need any other info, please don't hesitate to ask!

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Since I didn't participate in the last challenge, I have been doing some dabbling in preparation for this one. What I've discovered is that there are an awful lot of Columbia movies which appear on TCM, presumably not in the library per coffeedan's note. Since I'm not sure what specific agreement TCM has for airing these Columbia titles, would it be alright to use the "ps" (for previously scheduled) as others did on their grids entered in the first challenge?

Since I'm not sure what specific agreement TCM has for airing these Columbia titles, would it be alright to use the "ps" (for previously scheduled) as others did on their grids entered in the first challenge? >>

Path,

By all means, yes! I think it was Kyle who used the p/s or ps abbreviation for films from other studios that had been aired on TCM in the past and thus were eligible to be included without having to use one of the Preimere option!

Hi, Lynn, I hope you don't mind but I would like to add a helpful note to someone doing the challenge for the first time (and I hope there will be a lot of you). In the rules/guidelines in the opening post of this thread, it states:

9. Choose a TCM Essential to run on Saturday night at 8 PM ET and Sunday night at 6 PM ET

You will actually be scheduling TWO Essentials in your list. In the real schedules, an Essential program is shown on Saturday at 8PM ET. It is repeated on Sunday at 6PM ET, so....

Since the week you will create begins on Sunday, the first Essential will be one for that day that would, in the real schedule, have actually appeared on the day before, Saturday (that particular Saturday does not appear in the week you create).

The second Essential, different from the first, would be the one that is on the Saturday at the END of your week.

Hope you can make sense of my confusing sentences above.

I can't be objective enough to do this well--my list would end up being "Tracey's Favorite Movies--All Week Long!!" Yikes. But I can't wait to read everyone's lists.

Traceyk, please do try it. The first challenge began out of people wanting to list what they would like to show on TCM. And, believe me, being objective is the farthest thing from our mind. And, as has been mentioned in another thread, the TCM programmer liked what he saw from our first challenge and said he wants to use some of the ideas in his scheduling.

Hello all -

Lest anyone think i was lobbying lzcutter for Halloween to be included, I wasn't. In fact, I thought to myself leaving it off the origjnal list was a great idea as it was almost too easy a day to program. (Starting with "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" from the previous challenge thread.) But I am glad that it is there now for those that may want to work up a good scream-fest.

I was all ready to go outside the boundaries and choose President's Day even though it was left off the "V.I.H." list. But that is safe now. Hmmm. Have to give it some more thought. There is going to be a lot more research done for this challenge. But that was half the fun of the first challenge.

Lynn, I hope you really didn't feel as if I -or anyone - were eager to point out "the error of your ways". It didn't seem like an error to me at all anyway. I, too, think the holiday twist you have made is a great addition to this challenge. And I am certain you will moderate this one well.

Kyle in Hollywood

Kyle,

I don't feel lobbied or that anyone was eager to point out my omissions. As busy as I have been the last two months I'm just glad I remembered so many holidays in my original post.

So thanks to all who wrote and asked if I meant to leave omit a holiday intentionally. and give me a chance to include them.

The more holidays, the more choices and hopefully, more people will participate.

Hi, Kyle,

I am glad you posted. And I am glad that Lynn okayed my question about including Presidents Day. I wasn't correcting her, either. It's just that I had an idea I was vaguely thinking about trying for that week for that holiday. The next Presidents Day is in 2007 on February 19th AND THEN I learned after I listed the question that the 19th happens to be director John Frankenheimer's birthday, so I knew I had one day that is a natural. A day about presidents in the movies, ending with The Manchurian Candidate and Seven Days in May.

filmlover

Jon Parker -

"I was going to do Arbor Day, but got stumped after "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." "

I also was thinking the same just for fun and here's what I came up with in an hour or so.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (1945)

Desire Under The Elms (1958)

The Petrified Forest (1936)

It Grows On Trees (1952)

The Hanging Tree (1959)

The Big Trees (1952)

Anne Of Windy Poplars (1940)

The Learning Tree (1969)

Beyond The Forest (1949)

and

Under The Yum Yum Tree (1963)

Ok, so some of these are stretching the idea. But it is going to take some real creativity to make a full day of interesting films for some of these holidays.

And for a day about trees, "stumped" is almost apropos.

Kyle in Hollywood

traceyk65 -

Sorry about the confusion with the links. I should've checked them out myself. Hopefully path40a's link was a better route to the info and you got it. (Thanks path40a).

I hope you stick with the challenge too. If you have any questions or need any advice, all of us here will jump in to help you anyway we can. I know I will. Hopefully it will be more useful than the broken links I posted yesterday.

Kyle in Hollywood

filmlover -

Nicely done. I also forgot to include "On Borrowed Time".

And for fun, you could include ... "Little Shop of Horrors."

To get this edition of the challenge just right, it is going to consume so much more time and effort that I am thinking of refering to it as Audrey II. No matter how much I give it, it isn't enough and it will be pleading "Feed Me" with each new kernel of an idea that pops into my head or as the week starts to take shape in its preliminary stages. There will be no way to ignore it sitting there on my desk. Hopefully when it is all done, it will be a week that sings.

Kyle in Hollywood

Also for Arbor Day, there's "Pufnstuf," "Throne of Blood," "Macbeth," "Day of the Triffids," and that Friedkin flop, "The Guardian." Of course, you could anger some and schedule the Lord of the Rings movies. Too bad Gilliam's, "The Brothers Grimm" hasn't made the cable route yet, the trees were great in that too.

Hey there, MattHelm -

Just wondering if you are doing a schedule in this edition. I really hope so. You have such a great breadth of knowledge of films. You brought so many different things to the last one that I'd be really excited to see what you can come up with again.

Kyle in Hollywood

Hi Kyle,

Yes, I'll be doing a schedule, I'm hoping you're aboard too. Thanks, but looking at your schedule in the last challenge, and the others', made me feel like a novice. The new challenge will be a little harder than the first, trying to come up with an innovative list of movies that goes against the grain of what we're conditioned to seeing during these holidays. I'll stay away from the harder ones when I choose a holiday.

Archived