Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RETURN of the TCM Programming Challenge

> A wonderful idea from whoever thought it up in the

> first place. Thanks for the warm welcome again.

That was path40a and he definitely does deserve a great thanks for originating this wonderful challenge. The TCM programmer has said he liked a number of the ideas from the first challenge we did a month or so ago and that he is going to use some of them in his programming. Kyle's Pulp Fiction idea is already on TCM's sched in July.

Bogie and Path40a -

I want to give you both a hearty congratulations on completing your schedules. Both look very exciting and interesting.

I am trying not to look too closely at the posted schedules yet. I am so far from getting a good start to my week that seeing others ideas and films is a bit distracting for me right now. But I wanted to acknowledge your efforts and I look forward to appraising them more soon.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Bogie...Welcome! Hope you find your time around here enjoyable. I know I have.

kjk

Filmlover said:

"Kyle's Pulp Fiction idea is already on TCM's sched in July."

I did notice that there is a Pulp Fiction theme set down for July 8th on TCM. You're saying that was Kyle's idea originally, based on his first schedule perhaps? If that's so, I find it truly amazing. What an honor. Also, there really are perks to this challenge in that case. I had no idea.

Thanks for the welcome also Kyle, and congrats! You're like immortal now, you know that right? You are responsible for an official theme on a beloved network, viewed by so many ardent fans of classic films.

And Path, thank you for having us participate in this, your wonderful brainchild.

Bogie

Hi Bogie -

Yes, in a note from tcmprogrammr, he gave me a "heads up" that the "Pulp Fiction" idea I used in the first challenge we participated in was going to be found on the July schedule. I was extremely flattered and honored when I found it was so titled on the schedule page.

Path40a brought the selection to the attention of all in a previous thread. Here's a "cut and paste" of my reply to path's post.

Hello path40a -

I think tcmprogrammr was working from the subtitle I gave the night's theme -

"Pulp Fiction - Chandler, Cain, Hammet and Spillaine".

The five films for the full evening are -

"Kiss Me Deadly" - Mickey Spillaine

"Murder, My Sweet" - Raymond Chandler

"Dark Passage" - David Goodis

"Dangerous Female" - Dashiell Hammet (Maltese Falcon story)

and ending the evening with

"Mildred Pierce" - James M Cain

So its not a Carbon Copy of the films I chose but it is close enough for me to feel proud. And, not suprisingly, I think tcmprogrammr took the idea and made it better. While I chose "The Thin Man" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice" as my Hammet and Cain films, he chose films much more interesting to the audience. ( I felt it important to pick the more familiar titles so that the theme was apparent without needing any extra description.) That is why he is the professional. (Tho I have no idea who David Goodis is. I will take it on faith he wrote in the "pulp fiction" manner of the others.)

Now, if the night is billed as a night of "Pulp Fiction" on the daily schedule, I just may make July 8th a holiday in my household. If it is a night used in the monthly promo film or has a special interstial, someone may have to come pick me up off the floor. (If one is going to dream, dream big I always say!)

It seems the early "Maltese Falcon" has two titles and was originally listed as "Dangerous Female" on the schedule. It is now listed as "The Maltese Falcon" but it refers to the same film.

And so, July 8th, 2006 is a holiday in my household.

If you haven't checked out the schedules from the last (first) programming challenge, you should give it a look. It is quite a display of creativity all around. You have to go back about 6 pages on the message boards and you'll find a thread for Programming Challenge Voting. Go to the first post and the links there will take you to the posted schedules. Or continue back to the thread named The TCM Programming Challenge started by path40a. It is all good stuff.

The programmer for TCM lurks around in these boards often and once in a while announce himself on a topic or two. But otherwise he is pretty mute. But ideas discussed around here in many different threads sometimes find their way to the schedule. (Someone wrote of their young daughter's love of Joe E Brown and there was a day of his films on the schedule in a couple of months.) Even two filler films I used on the first challenge are being shown in July. It may be a coincdence, but either way, I am glad I will have a chance to catch them "back to back".

Hopefully you'll find a nice little "perk" for yourself sometime soon

Kyle - the humble mortal - In Hollywood

Hey Kyle, I got a chance to check out the first programming challenge and found it very interesting. I guess this one will flesh out eventually too, when everyone starts submitting unique schedules. Seeing that completed challenge makes me even more excited about this one, and I'm eager to see new ideas from you, Matt, filmlover, and the others.

Also, I see what filmlover means now, in that we chose the same week, honoring both Billy Wilder's birthday and Father's Day. I hope more people join in with programming schedules this time around. It's fun to go through classic film lists of others, especially after knowing it came via a painstaking process.

Also, I'm glad that your Pulp Fiction theme inspired the TCM programmer to air Dangerous Female, which I've been meaning to see. Once the Bette Davis version airs, which will happen on the 11th I think, that will complete my viewing of the three film versions of what I consider to be the greatest Hard-boiled novel ever written. I gotta say, it's a real treat being associated with fellow classic film lovers.

Bogie

Hi, Tracey (and everyone joining in to try their hands at a list),

Just remember the whole year is open to you to pick a holiday week from. SO MANY HOLIDAYS (though we never get than many in real life from work, sigh). The reason I did Father's Day and things like Billy Wilder in the first challenge from a month or so ago was because the primary instruction for that first challenge back then was that we had to select a week in June 2006.

Now, however, in the new challenge you can select a week with a holiday from anytime in the year (see lzcutter's posts on the first page of this current thread for the new challenge for a list). And don't forget to check out the notes in her first post in this thread. Everything that should be in a list is there.

I'm hard at work on my list (for the week in February incorporating Presidents Day) and I hope to post it by this coming weekend.

filmlover

To everyone,

Thank you so much for encouraging others to join this challenge. I hope they do because it not only is a great deal of fun, it is very eye-opening when you have to program to the restrictions that TCMProgrammer does.

Gives you a whole new understanding of the process and, hopefully, an appreciation.

Added to that is the possibility of putting film titles together in a way that makes others smack their foreheads and go "WoW, I never saw those films in that context".

Also, you are able to create new categories, new documentaries, new between show pieces that can help inspire the folks at TCM.

TCMProgrammer told us last time and I believe it holds true this time, that he will read the schedules and use ideas.

So, here's your chance to get TCM's attention and shed light on a film, a subject, a holiday, an actor, writer, director, editor, etc that otherwise would be lost in the mix.

Thanks again and hope everyone is having fun with this challenge!

Lynn (who really believes there is no place like home)

Now, if I only there. Oh wait, I am. Which home is home?

And Dorothy thought she had it hard. :)

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Lynn, you think you have it hard? lol, check out Dorothy in the sequel called Return to Oz where she has to face electroshock therapy because her aunt thinks Dorothy's disturbed.

Lions and tigers and -- ZZZTTTTTTTT!!!!! Oh, my.

Message was edited by:

filmlover

lzcutter,

Earlier today, I composed a reply to the private message you sent to me. I attempted to send my message. Oh, boy--did I try to send the thing. I get one of those very informative error messages...something like, "message rejected for unknown reason". I think one of three things is happening:

One. You have several copies of my "not to be missed" musings residing in your private message "in box".

Two. No "in box" messages from me. Your private message thing is broken (at least, broken for my stuff).

Three. My reply message is broken.

If you have received my reply, will you write an "I got it Rusty" in this thread? If not received, uh...I will try to fix something(?) and attempt another message send tomorrow.

Rusty

Hello Rusty -

It isn't just you having trouble reaching lzcutter/Lynn. I have been trying to send a reply since this AM myself and get the same error message you are getting. Maybe her inbox/mailbox is full.

I posted a message on the General Problems board but no response as of tonight.

How are you, anyway? Are you up for participating again? I would truly enjoy seeing what you can bring to the challenge a second time.

I watched the John Ford/John Wayne documentary on PBS last night and they mentioned that the story for "Stagecoach" came from a story in Colliers. "I knew that thanks to Rusty!" I said to myself.

Hope all is well with you.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk

Guys,

It's not my message box, it appears to be a cyber problem with TCM today.

If you are sending a private message, if you unclick the copy to the send folder box at the end message, you get the regular sign that your message will be delivered.

Of course, Kyle, you can verify this for all of us, as I sent you a pm tonight (once with the dreaded error message) and once unclicking the aforementioned box.

If you received the pm, please let us know so Rusty and others will know what to do to get their messages around the dreaded cyberwall.

Thank you !

Hi Lynn -

I got your PM but unchecking the "copy to sent folder" didn't work on my try to send a reply to you. Argh!

Again, thanks for the info and guidance. It will come in handy.

Welcome Home! And the Valley isn't in Kansasian Black and White (or sepia tones) !

Or is it?

Kyle In Hollywood

First off: Hi, Bogie. Great schedule and I?m glad you participated.

I chose Christmas with the idea of giving everyone the perennial classics, but also focusing on memorable Christmas moments in movies that don?t entirely revolve around the holiday. Any classics or staples I didn?t list, can be assumed to be showing elsewhere in the month.

Also, I took the liberties of using a couple of technical loopholes in the rules. 1) I got away with showing (what I think to be) a premiere as an Essentials repeat on Sunday, with the logic that it actually premiered the night before, which was technically the previous week. Therefore, that counts toward the previous week?s schedule, leaving me still with two premieres for my week?s schedule. 2) I used some public domain movies not previously shown on TCM, but since they can use them for free, they technically don?t count as premieres either.

Christmas Day: We start off with ?Christmas Cocktails.? Everyone needs a little ?pick-me-up? to prepare for a day with the relatives (if it?s too early for cocktails for you, just sweeten your coffee with a shot of something). First, we have ?Robin and the Seven Hoods,? definitely a cocktail tempter, and the only time you?ll see the Rat Pack in Santa suits. Next, ?Bell, Book and Candle,? has its jazzy Christmas Eve cocktails scene, a bizarre exchange of gifts, and a crazy looking Christmas tree. This movie?s art direction, to me, is the most definitive look of the ?50s cocktail culture ever captured on screen.

Just in time for dinner is, ?Christmas Ham and Turkey.? ?Santa Claus,? the ham, is a cult-classic Mexican movie, where Santa?s Castle is in the sky, his reindeer are plastic and burst to pieces in sunlight, and he battles the hijnks of a red, horned Devil named, Pitch, who is sent to destroy Christmas. ?Santa Claus Conquers the Martians,? is the winner of the Turkey Awards, as one of the worst movies ever. It?s a cult-classic about Santa being kidnapped by Martians, so that they can have Christmas on Mars.

I don?t believe the musical ?Scrooge? has ever been on TCM before, so I chose that as a premiere. This is my favorite out of all the adaptations, and Finney, my favorite Scrooge.

After everyone is in a feel-good mood after watching the end number in ?Scrooge,? get ready to come crashing down with ?Silent Night, Depressing Night.? This is for those who find this the most depressing day of the year, and/or for those who are winding down from the day?s excitement. The Christmas scenes in ?All That Heaven Allows? are great, where Wyman is stood-up by her kids on Christmas Eve, and in the morning when they appear, they make her regret breaking up with Rock Hudson. Throughout the movie she declines getting a TV because she saw it as the last refuge of a lonely woman. When her son presents her with one for Christmas, that great shot of her reflection on the TV?s blank screen, sums up her realizing her mistake in sacrificing her own happiness for her selfish kids. Next, it?s ?Meet John Doe? and ?Young at Heart? ? it doesn?t get any more depressing than Yuletide suicide. ?O. Henry?s Full House? has some depressing stories until you get to the Christmas-themed ?Gift of the Magi? at the end.

Tuesday and Wednesday are Richard Widmark?s and Marlene Dietrich?s birthdays. Funny, I didn?t know it was his birthday when I chose this week, after making him Star of the Month in the last challenge. Though Path beat me to it, I intended doing politics too, but we both came up with different movies. Wednesday night?s theme is ?Escapism at the Movies, in the Movies (figuratively and literally).? These movies show people escaping through, into and from movies, and/or movie theaters, both in a figurative and a literal sense. In ?The Purple Rose of Cairo? Jeff Daniels?s character literally walks off the screen, where he meets Mia Farrow who escapes her troubled life at the movies; ?Sullivan?s Travels? shows inmates in a labor camp forgetting their troubles for a few moments, while watching a cartoon at a local church; Brian Donlevy ducks inside a movie theater to escape from Nazis on his tail, in "Hangmen Also Die!"; ?Midnight Cowboy? shows escaping into the movies in its own little way, ahem.

Thursday?s daytime theme ?Can?t We All Just Get Along? revolves around movies in which the lead stars couldn?t stand each other, off screen. In ?The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex? Davis and Flynn couldn?t stand each other; in ?Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?? it was Davis and Crawford; in ?The Women? it was Crawford and Shearer; ?Guys and Dolls? had the rivalry between Sinatra and Brando; and in ?The Tea House of the August Moon? it was Brando and Glenn "Did you eat my cookies Brando!" Ford. "Sayonara" is just the buffer for a night in Japan where Toshiro Mifune is Star of the Month, with the premiere of ?Drunken Angel? the first film collaboration between Mifune and Kurosawa. Mifune plays a Yakuza boss stricken with the tuberculosis that plaques a town, whose only doctor is the town drunk.

Saturday night?s theme is ?A Pre-New Years Eve Public Service Announcement on Alcoholism.? This line up is to illustrate the dangers of alcohol abuse and serves as a lesson to take it easy with with it on New Years Eve. Saturday night is the perfect time for this lesson, because it gives people 24 hours to forget it (I know I will). A note on ?The Sun Also Rises?: I don?t really like this movie, as I think it?s horribly cast for the most part, but Errol Flynn gives the best performance of his career and is superb as the drunkard, Mike Campbell.

Sunday December 24

6:00: Boys Town (Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney) 1938 /93m / MGM

8:00: A Christmas Story (Peter Billingsley, Darren McGavin) 1983 /94m / MGM

(Syncopation Station)

10:00: Holiday Inn (Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire) 1942 /100m / Paramount

11:40: Short: Star in the Night (J. Carrol Naish, Donald Woods) 1945 /22m / Warner

12:00: Since You Went Away (Claudette Colbert, Joseph Cotten) 1944 /172m / U.A.

3:00: Holliday Affair (Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh) 1949 /87m / RKO

4:30: Beyond Tomorrow (Harry Carey, C. Aubrey Smith) 1940 /84m / RKO

(Essentials Repeat)

6:00: The Dead (Anjelica Huston, Donal McCann) 1987 /83m / Delta

7:30: Cartoon Alley:

Jack Frost (1934)

Hector?s Hectic Life (1948)

Snow Foolin? (1949)

8:00: Scrooge (Seymour Hicks, Donald Calthrop) 1935 /79m / P.D.

9:30: A Christmas Carol (Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart) 1938 / 69m / MGM

10:15: Love Finds Andy Hardy (Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland) 1938 /91m / MGM

(Silent Sunday Nights)

12:00: Christmas Past (silent shorts) 120m

2:00: 3 Godfathers (John Wayne, Ward Bond) 1949 /107m / Argosy

3:50: Short: Peace on Earth (cartoon) 1939 /9m / MGM

4:00: The Bishop?s Wife (Cary Grant, Loretta Young) 1947 /108m / RKO

5:50: Short: Jackie Cooper?s Christmas Party (Jackie Cooper, Wallace Beery) 1931 /9m

Monday December 25

6:00: Robin and the 7 Hoods (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin) 1964 /123m / Warner

8:15: Bell, Book and Candle (James Stewart, Kim Novak) 1959 /106m / Columbia

10:00: Cartoon Alley:

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1944)

The Shanty Where Santa Claus Lives (1933)

Christmas Comes but Once a Year (1936)

10:30: Babes in Toyland (Stannie Dee, Ollie Dum) 1934 /79m / MGM/ P.D.

(Christmas Ham and Turkey)

12:00: Santa Claus (Jose Elias Moreno, Jose Luis Aguirre) 1959 /91m / P.D.

1:30: Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (Pia Zadora, John Call) 1964 /81m / P.D.

3:00: Going My Way (Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald) 1944 /127m / Paramount

5:15: The Bells of St. Mary?s (Bing Crosby, Ingrid Bergman) 1945 /126m / RKO

7:30: Cartoon Alley:

Christmas Night (1933)

A Waif?s Welcome (1936)

Santa?s Surprise (1947)

PREMIERE:

8:00: Scrooge (Albert Finney, Alec Guiness) 1970 /113m / Waterbury Films

(Silent Night, Depressing Night)

10:00: All That Heaven Allows (Rock Hudson, Jane Wyman) 1956 /89m / Universal

11:30: Meet John Doe (Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur) 1941 /123m / Warner

1:35: Short: Star in the Night (J. Carrol Naish, Donald Woods) 1945 / Warner

2:00: Young at Heart (Frank Sinatra, Doris Day) 1954 /117m / Warner

4:00: O. Henry?s Full House (Richard Widmark, Farley Granger) 1952 /117m / Fox

Tuesday December 26

(Richard Widmark?s Birthday)

6:00: No Way Out (Richard Widmark, Sydney Poitier) 1950 /106m / Fox p/s

8:00: Down to the Sea in Ships (Richard Widmark, Lionel Barrymore) 1949 /120m / Fox p/s

10:00: The Bedford Incident (Richard Widmark, Sydney Poitier) 1965 /102m / Columbia p/s

12:00: Two Rode Together (Richard Widmark, James Stewart) 1961 /109m / Columbia p/s

2:00: The Way West (Richard Widmark, Robert Mitchum) 1967 /122m / U.A. p/s

4:00: Madigan (Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda) 1968 /101m / Universal p/s

(Politics As Usual)

6:00: The Miracle of Morgan?s Creek (Betty Hutton, Eddie Bracken) 1944 /101m / Paramount

8:00: The Great McGinty (Brian Donlevy, Akim Tamiroff) 1940 /82m / Paramount p/s

9:30: The Great Man Votes (John Barrymore, Peter Holden) 1939 /70m / RKO

10:45: The State of the Union (Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn) 1948 /124m / Liberty p/s

1:00: Advise and Consent (Henry Fonda, Charles Laughton) 1962 /140m / Columbia p/s

3:30: The Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey) 1962 /126m / U.A. p/s

Wednesday December 27

(Marlene Dietrich?s Birthday)

6:00: Morocco (Marlene Dietrich, Gary Cooper) 1930 /90m / Paramount p/s

7:30: Rancho Notorious (M.D., Arthur Kennedy) 1952 /89m / RKO

9:00: Destry Rides Again (M.D., James Stewart) 1939 /94m / Universal

10:45: Manpower (M.D., Edward G. Robinson) 1941 /102m / Warner

12:30: No Highway in the Sky (M.D., James Stewart) 1951 /93m / Fox p/s

2:15: Touch of Evil (M.D., Orson Welles) 1958 /95m / Universal p/s

4:00: Marlene: Documentary 1984 /96m p/s

(Escapism at the Movies, in the Movies [figuratively and literally])

6:00: Sullivan?s Travels (Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake) 1942 /91m / Paramount

8:00: The Purple Rose of Cairo (Jeff Daniels, Mia Farrow) 1985 /82m / MGM p/s

9:30: Cinema Paradiso (Philippe Noiret, Salvatore Cascio) 1990 /123m / Miramax

11:35: Short: A Night at the Movies (Robert Benchley) 1937 /10m / MGM

11:45: Hangmen Also Die! (Brian Donlevy, Walter Brennan) 1943 /131m / U.A. p/s

2:00: Midnight Cowboy (John Voight, Dustin Hoffman) 1969 /113m / U.A. p/s

4:00: The Last Picture Show (Timothy Bottoms, Jeff Bridges) 1971 /118m / Sony p/s

Thursday December 28

(Can?t we all just get along?)

6:00: The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (Bette Davis, Errol Flynn) 1939 /106m / Warner

8:00: Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (Bette Davis, Joan Crawford) 1962 /132m / Warner

10:15: The Women (Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford) 1939 /133m / MGM

12:30: Guys and Dolls (Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando) 1955 /150m / MGM

3:00: The Tea House of the August Moon (Marlon Brando, Glenn Ford) 1956 /123m / MGM

5:15 Sayonara (Marlon Brando, Patricia Owens) 1957 /147m / Warner

(Star of the Month: Toshiro Mifune)

PREMIERE:

8:00: Drunken Angel (Toshiro Mifune, Takashi Shimura) 1948 /102m / Toho

9:45: The Hidden Fortress (Toshiro Mifune, Minoru Chiaki) 1958 /126m / Toho p/s

12:00: Sword of Doom (Tatsuya Nakadai, Toshiro Mifune) 1966 /119m / Toho p/s

2:00: Yojimbo (Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai) 1961 /75m / Toho p/s

3:30: Throne of Blood (Toshiro Mifune, Isuzu Yamada) 1957 /105m / Toho p/s

5:15: Rashomon (Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo) 1950 /88m / Toho p/s

Friday December 29

(George Sanders: Halo and Wings)

6:45: The Saint Strikes Back (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1939 /64m / RKO

8:00 The Saint in London (George Sanders, Sallie Gray) 1939 /72m / RKO

9:15: The Saint?s Double Trouble (George Sanders, Bela Lugosi) 1940 /67m / RKO

10:30: The Saint Takes Over (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1940 /69m / RKO

11:45: The Saint in Palm Springs (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1941 /66m / RKO

1:00: The Gay Falcon (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1941 /67m / RKO

2:15: A Date w/the Falcon (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1941 /63m / RKO

3:30: The Falcon Takes Over (George Sanders, Wendy Barrie) 1942 /65m / RKO

4:45: The Falcon?s Brother (George Sanders, Tom Conway) 1942 /63m / RKO

6:00: Night Must Fall (Robert Montgomery, Merle Tottenham) 1937 /117m / MGM p/s

(Robert Mitchum in Scrubs)

8:00: Where Danger Lives (Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue) 1950 /84m / RKO

9:30: Not as a Stranger (Robert Mitchum, Olivia de Havilland) 1955 /136m / U.A. p/s

12:00: Angel Face (Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons) 1953 /91m / RKO

(TCM Imports)

2:00: Stromboli (Ingrid Bergman, Mario Vitale) 1950 /88m / RKO

3:30: The Woman on Pier 13 (Laraine Day, Robert Ryan) 1949 /73m / RKO

4:15: A Bill of Divorcement (Maureen O?Hara, Adolphe Menjou) 1940 /74 / RKO

Saturday December 30

5:45: The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T (Hans Conried, Peter Lind Hayes) 1953 /90m / Colombia

6:30: Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (Bud Abbott, Lou Costello) 1955 /79m / Universal p/s

7:30: Bulldog Drummond in Africa (john Howard, Heather Angel) 1938 /60m / Paramount/ P.D.

8:30: At War with the Army (Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis) 1951 /90m / Paramount p/s

(Darkness After Dawn)

10:00: Conflict (Humphrey Bogart, Alexis Smith) 1946 /87m / Warner

11:30: Cartoon Alley:

Little Red Walking Hood (1937)

A Tale of Two Kitties (1942)

Birdy and the Beast (1944)

(Lone Star Theater: Tim Holt Double Feature)

12:00: The Fargo Kid (Tim Holt, Ray Whitley) 1940 /63m / RKO

1:00: The Renegade Rangers (Tim Holt, Rita Hayworth) 1938 /59m / RKO

2:00: Attack of the Giant Leeches (Ken Clark, Yvette Vickers) 1959 /62m / AIP/ P.D.

3:00: Day the World Ended (Richard Denning, Lori Nelson) 1955 /79m / AIP/ P.D.

4:30: The Ghost Breakers (Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard) 1940 /82m / Paramount

6:00: Captain Blood (Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland) 1935 /119m / Warner

(A Pre-New Years Eve Public Service Announcement on Alcoholism)

(The Essentials)

8:00: The Lost Weekend (Ray Milland, Jane Wyman) 1945 /101m / Paramount

10:00: I?ll Cry Tomorrow (Susan Hayward, Richard Conte) 1955 /119m / MGM p/s

12:00: The Joker is Wild (Frank Sinatra, Mitzi Gaynor) 1957 /126m / Paramount p/s

2:15: Young Man with a Horn (Kirk Douglas, Doris Day) 1950 /111m / Warner p/s

4:00: The Sun Also Rises (Tyrone Power, Ava Gardner) 1957 /129m / Fox p/s

Since you've been MIA for a while, I knew you must have been working on this; it's outstanding, of course.

Great lineup, lots of perennial (and personal, for me) favorites, but also a lot of new ideas around the Holiday! I like the fact that you've explicitly put the shorts (like Star in the Night) on the schedule as well. There are also several films you've scheduled which I've yet to see and would like to - perhaps tcmprogrammer will use them?

Your political films are choice, and include a couple I was going to use but thought I'd have to deem them premieres 'cause I didn't know they'd been previously scheduled. I've written about them, but I couldn't remember if I'd seen them on the old AMC (when it was worthy of those call letters) or on TCM. Your "escapism" theme is cleverly done and your choice of Toshiro Mifune as SOTM is certainly inspired; and I've always wanted to see the other two (George Sanders) Falcon movies too.

All in all a super week with a bang up ending (love The Joker is Wild). The only question I've got is about your Silent Sunday night entry, could you explain it?

Hey, Matt, great schedule!!! I think you have many marvelous things in here.

lol, the use of the previous Saturday's "Premiere" was nothing short of genius. I should have thought of that, but I have had to be crafty, too (I'll hopefully be posting mine tomorrow, so you'll see). It is very hard when you are only given two Premieres for the week.

Likewise, using PD films, good touch.

But, gad, I had been thinking of using the Saints and the Falcons, too, along with a few others, in a section I wanted to call "Get A Clue". Dang it.

Who could have thought there could be so many great things to watch Christmas week?

Fantastic job all around, Matt.

Thanks filmlover. I can't wait to see your schedule and the craftiness that went into it.

Why not use the Saints and Falcons if you're mixing them with others too? Our schedules will probably be months apart, which would avoid showing them too soon.

I forgot to mention the movie, The Dead, John Huston's last. If anyone hasn't seen this, you really should. Based on the James Joyce short story, it's perhaps the only movie that shows a traditional Irish Christmas, set in turn-of-the-century Dublin. A totally dialogue-driven movie, with great acting. Huston's son Tony wrote the screenplay, and his daughter Anjelica stars.

In case anyone hasn't seen the Mexican Santa Claus movie, there are some shots of it on this link, so you can see how ridiculous, and scary, it looks.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/s/santa-claus.html

And Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, for those of you who were lucky to escape it ...

http://www.bmoviecentral.com/bmoviecentral/reviews/Santa%20Claus%20Conquers%20The%20Martians.html

Both are actually fun movies if you're a B-movie afficionado. Babes in Toyland, with Laurel and Hardy, may be more familiar to people who have seen it in its colorized version as March of the Wooden Soldiers. This is the original black and white version. This is another bizarre movie, that used to scare the hell out of me as a kid. Not just the Bogeymen and the villain Silas Barnaby (the actor who played him, Henry Brandon was actually 21 years old at the time), but the monkey in the Mickey Mouse costume was, and is, still freaky looking.

Well, here's my challenge. I chose Presidents Day, which means my week runs from Sunday, February 18, 2007, through Saturday, February 24, 2007.

SUNDAY, February 18th

God in the Movies

6:00 AM Ben-Hur (MGM, 1959) 223 min.

Cartoon: Roman Legion Hare (1955)

10:00 AM SYNCOPATION STATION: Cabin in the Sky (WB, 1943) 93 min.

11:45 AM King of Kings (MGM, 1961) 161 min.

2:30 PM The Greatest Story Ever Told (UA, 1965) 200 min.

Ronald Colman Festival ? the man for whom sound films must have been invented

6:00 PM THE ESSENTIALS: The Prisoner of Zenda (UA, 1937) 101 min.

7:45 PM Lost Horizon (Columbia, 1937) 133 min. ps

Cartoon: The Abominable Snow Rabbit (1961)

10:15 PM A Double Life (Univ., 1948) 104 min. ps

12 MID SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: The White Sister (MGM, 1923) 104 min.

2:00 AM A Tale of Two Cities (MGM, 1935) 127 min.

4:15 AM Kismet (MGM, 1944) 100 min.

MONDAY, February 19th

Presidents Day Salute

6:00 AM 1776 (Col., 1972) 166 min. (John Adams, Thomas Jefferson) ps

Trailer: Abe Lincoln in Illinois

Cartoon: Old Glory (1939) (Uncle Sam teaches Porky Pig about U.S. history)

9:00 AM Abe Lincoln in Illinois (RKO, 1940) 110 min.

Short: A Failure at Fifty (1940) (Abe Lincoln)

11:00 AM The Wind and the Lion (MGM, 1975) 119 min. (Teddy Roosevelt)

1:00 PM Sunrise at Campobello (WB, 1960) 144 min. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

3:30 PM PT 109 (WB, 1963) 140 min. (John F. Kennedy)

Trailer: Santa Fe Trail

6:00 PM Santa Fe Trail (WB, 110) starring real life President Ronald Reagan

Short: Warner Bros. Blooper reel with Ronald Reagan

Director John Frankenheimer Birthday Salute

8 PM The Manchurian Candidate (UA, 1962) 126 min.

Short: The Manchurian Candidate Interviews (1988)

Cartoon: Ballot Box Bunny (1951) (appears briefly as Teddy Roosevelt)

10:30 PM Seven Days in May (UA, 1962) 126 min.

12:45 AM Birdman of Alcatraz (UA, 1962) 147 min.

Cartoon: The Jet Cage (1962) (Tweety)

3:30 AM The Train (UA, 1965) 133 min.

Cartoon: The Wild Chase (1965) (Road Runner and Speedy Gonzalez)

TUESDAY, February 20th

45th Anniversary of day U.S. astronaut John Glenn circled the Earth (1962).

6:00 AM The Right Stuff (WB, 1983) 193 min. ps

Next, we will also circle the globe today, starting with:

International Films That Stunned the World

9:15 AM Battleship Potemkin (Goskino, 1925) 70 min. (U.S.S.R.) pd

11:00 AM Metropolis (UFA, 1927) 124 min. (Germany) ps

1:15 PM The Passion of Joan of Arc (Societe Generale Des Films, 1928) 83 min. (France) ps

2:45 PM Day of Wrath (Palladium A/S, 1943) 110 min (Denmark) ps

4:45 PM The Bicycle Thief (Cifex Film, 1948) 89 min. (Italy) ps

6:30 PM Gate of Hell (Daiei, 1953) 86 min. (Japan) ps

Love Around the World ? Spotlight of the Month for February

8:00 PM Life is Beautiful (Miramax, 1998) 122 min. (Italy) PREMIERE

Short: Oscar clips of an excited Roberto Benigni winning two Academy Awards.

Short: Travel Talks ? Visiting Italy (1951)

10:30 PM Never On Sunday (UA, 1960) 93 min. (Greece)

Short: Travel Talks - Word for the Greeks (1951)

12:30 AM Smiles of a Summer Night (Janus, 1955) 110 min. (Sweden) ps

Short: Travel Talks - Rural Sweden (1938)

2:30 AM Brief Encounter (Cineguild, 1945) 86 min. (United Kingdom) ps

Short: Travel Talks - From Liverpool to Stratford (1949)

4:15 AM Gigi (Codo Cinema, 1948) 83 min. (France) ps

Short: Travel Talks - Paris on Parade (1938)

WEDNESDAY, February 21st

Al Jolson Salute ? ?You Ain?t Heard Nothin? Yet?

6:00 AM The Jazz Singer (WB, 1927) 89 min.

7:30 AM The Singing Fool (WB, 1928) 102 min.

9:15 AM Say It With Songs (WB, 1929) 95 min.

11:00 AM Big Boy (WB, 1930) 70 min.

12:15 PM Mammy (WB, 1930) 84 min.

1:45 PM Hallelujah, I?m A Bum (UA, 1933) 83 min.

Trailer: Wonder Bar

3:15 PM Wonder Bar (WB, 1934) 85 min.

4:45 PM Go Into Your Dance (WB, 1935) 97 min.

6:30 PM The Singing Kid (WB, 1936)

Trailer: Angels With Dirty Faces

Ann Sheridan ? Star of the Month ? birthday salute

8:00 PM Angels With Dirty Faces (WB, 1938) 98 min.

Trailer: Torrid Zone

9:45 PM Torrid Zone (WB, 1940) 89 min.

Trailer: Kings Row

11:30 PM Kings Row (WB, 1942) 127 min.

Trailer: They Drive By Night

2:00 AM They Drive By Night (WB, 1940) 96 min.

Trailer: City for Conquest

Cartoon: Bowery Bugs (1949)

4:00 AM City for Conquest (WB, 1940)

Cartoon: Rabbit Punch (1948)

Trailer: The Maltese Falcon

THURSDAY, February 22nd

Peter Lorre & Sydney Greenstreet ? The Complete Teamups of the Gruesome Twosome

6:00 AM The Maltese Falcon (WB, 1941) 101 min.

Short: Travel Talks - Cavalcade of San Francisco (1940)

Cartoon: Hollywood Steps Out (1941) (Peter Lorre caricature)

8:00 AM The Mask of Dimitrios (WB, 1944) 96 min.

Trailer: Passage to Marseille

9:45 AM Passage to Marseille (WB, 1944) 110 min.

Trailer: Hollywood Canteen

11:45 AM Hollywood Canteen (WB, 1944) 124 min.

Cartoon: Hollywood Canine Canteen (1946)

2:00 PM The Conspirators (WB, 1944) 102 min.

Trailer: Three Strangers

Cartoon: Hair-Raising Hare (1946) (Peter Lorre caricature)

4:00 PM Three Strangers (WB, 1946) 93 min.

Short: Travel Talks - Looking at London (1946)

Cartoon: Racketeer Rabbit (1946) (Peter Lorre caricature)

6:00 PM The Verdict (WB, 1946) 86 min.

Trailer: Casablanca

7:30 PM Casablanca: 50th Anniversary Special (WB, 1992) 30 min.

?Here?s Looking at You, Kid? ? The Films of Ingrid Bergman

8:00 PM Casablanca (WB, 1943) 101 min. (also with Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet)

Cartoon: Falling Hare (1943)

10:00 PM Intermezzo, A Love Story (Selznick, 1939) 70 min. ps

Trailer: Gaslight

11:30 PM Gaslight (MGM, 1944) 114 min.

1:30 AM Spellbound (UA, 1945) 111 min.

Cartoon: The Hare-Brained Hypnotist (1942)

3:30 AM Saratoga Trunk (WB, 1946) 135 min.

Short: Travel Talks - Old New Orleans (1940)

FRIDAY, February 23rd

Casting Call for Gone with the Wind

6:00 AM The Singing Marine (WB, 1937) 105 min. (Jane Darwell to be cast as Mrs. Merriwether)

7:45 AM The Hot Heiress (WB, 1931) 79 min. (Ona Munson to be cast as Belle Watling)

9:15 AM Love, Honor and Behave (WB, 1938) 70 min. (Thomas Mitchell and Barbara O?Neill to be cast as Mr. and Mrs. O?Hara)

10:30 AM The Shopworn Angel (MGM, 1938) 86 min. (Hattie McDaniel to be cast as Mammy)

12 NOON It?s Love I?m After (WB, 1937) 91 minutes (Leslie Howard and Olivia deHavilland to be cast as Ashley Wilkes and Melanie Hamilton)

Short: The Monroe Doctrine (1939) (George Reeves to be cast as Brent Tarleton)

2:00 PM A Yank at Oxford (MGM, 1938) 103 min. (Vivien Leigh to be cast as Scarlett O?Hara)

VICTOR FLEMING BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE (films: Test Pilot and GWTW)

3:45 Test Pilot (MGM, 1938) 120 min. (directed by Victor Fleming, who will direct GWTW and starring Clark Gable to be cast as Rhett Butler)

Cartoon: The Coo Coo Nut Grove (1936) (Gable caricature)

6:00 PM The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind (MGM, 1988) 120 min. ps

A David O. Selznick Production ? a 24-hour salute to the films made by Selznick International Studio

8:00 PM Gone with the Wind (MGM, 1939) 220 min.

Trailer: A Star is Born

12 MID Since You Went Away (UA, 1944) 177 min.

3:00 AM Nothing Sacred (UA, 1937) 74 min.

4:15 AM The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (UA, 1938) 93 min.

SATURDAY, February 24th

A David O. Selznick Production (24-hour salute continues)

6:00 AM A Star is Born (UA, 1937) 111 min.

8:00 AM DARKNESS AFTER DAWN The Paradine Case (Selznick, 1948) 115 min. ps

10:00 AM Portrait of Jennie (Selznick, 1949) 87 min. ps

11:30 AM CARTOON ALLEY You Ought to Be in Pictures (1940), A Hare Grows in Manhattan (1947), and Hollywood Daffy (1946).

12:00 NOON LONE STAR CINEMA Duel in the Sun (Selznick, 1947) 145 min. ps

2:30 PM The Garden of Allah (UA, 1936) 79 min.

4:00 PM Little Lord Fauntleroy (UA, 1936) 102 min.

5:45 PM Rebecca (UA, 1940) 131 min.

Sidney Poitier Tribute (whose birthday was earlier this week)

8:00 PM THE ESSENTIALS In the Heat of the Night (UA, 1967) 110 min.

10:00 PM To Sir With Love (Columbia, 1967) 105 minutes PREMIERE

12:00 MID Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Columbia, 1967) 109 min. ps

2:00 AM The Defiant Ones (UA, 1958) 97 min. ps

4:00 AM Lilies of the Field (UA, 1963) 95 min.

Notes:

I thought since the week starts with a Sunday and there are so many Epics around that I would pick a selection of films in which God is portrayed, and then end the week with a salute to the man many people in Hollywood considered God, David O. Selznick.

In between, there are salutes to Ronald Colman (the greatest voice in movies), Ingrid Bergman, and all the films that Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet made together. I also featured films of Al Jolson (they were available on laserdiscs a few years ago) because it just happens that on May 26th, 2006, it will be his 120th birthday. There are also birthday tributes to Star of the Month Ann Sheridan and director Victor Fleming.

For my Presidents Day salute, I had to be a little crafty because I use my two Premiere options later in the week. The first film in the list is 1776, a film I included in the last challenge as a Premiere, so I decided to call it now part of the "previously scheduled" in order to not exceed my premieres. (By the way, ?ps? means previously scheduled by TCM and ?pd? means public domain.) And I got lucky in that it is also the birthday for John Frankenheimer, who directed the best Presidential movie thrillers of all time, The Manchurian Candidate and Seven Days in May.

On February 20, 1962, John Glenn circled the Earth. I picked The Right Stuff to honor it. And since he encircled the entire globe, the day showcases some of the most important films to come out of other countries. The evening ends with love from around the world, including a Premiere of one of my favorite films, Life is Beautiful.

The Selznick tribute starts on Friday morning with a selection of early 1930s movies that featured actors who would be starring at the end of the decade in Gone With the Wind. And then GWTW, which is the start of a 24-hour look at the films of Selznick International Studio. (The Prisoner of Zenda and Spellbound are not in this tribute because I have them playing earlier in the week under different themes.)

The cartoons and shorts chosen were appropriate to the films they were with. I have also added trailers that I discovered are available for select films.

And I ended the week with a tribute to Sidney Poitier, (whose birthday was earlier in the week). I've always wanted to program the three great performances he did in 1967, In the Heat of the Night, To Sir With Love (a Premiere), and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Remarkably, he didn't get a single nomination that year but I believe it was because the voters of nominations were so split between the three, there wasn't enough for one film. I ended the tribute and my week with Lilies of the Field. Without meaning to, I ended up with a symmetry of the week, starting with religious epics and ending with Poitier and the nuns singing "Amen, Amen."

You've done it again filmlover, created another great week of programming for TCM. Congratulations! Knowing that you had to adjust your themes and/or change your plans due to others (like me, who stole your ideas!), makes the quality of this one all the more special.

I like your chosen themes, and LOVE the film Life is Beautiful as well, a tear-jerker for me. Your salutes to Colman, Bergman, Sheridan, and God (twice, LOL!) are terrific and cleverly done. But I especially like your John Glenn around the World tribute to foreign films - that took some thought and effort, I know.

Funny we both chose February, a month in which birthday salutes and other day-specific recognitions aren't really possible given TCM's annual 31 Days of Oscar festival. I'm sure the programmers have some clever ideas that they're never able to utilize that month as well. OTOH, they've done some pretty clever things (like this year's 360 degrees treatment) given the restrictions anyway.

Again, excellent lineup!

Thanks, path, that always means a lot coming from you since you organized the first challenge. Thanks for adding the bit about it usually being Oscar month. I meant to put it in my notes below but forgot. (However, I must have been influenced by Selznick because they were as long as one of his memos.)

It was a lot of work, but I owe thanks to Kyle, Lynn. and you for help with info I needed.

And, again, I know how hard it must be for the TCM programmer to do his job day in and day out. It was fun but exhausting.

Hi guys,

Congratulations to all who have posted schedules so far. They are great. I hope that TCMProgrammer is able to use some of the ideas in them because they are each filled with great ones.

For all those still on the fence about participating, it's only half way through the month so far so there is still plenty of time to put together a schedule and join in.

Winner of this Challenge will get to choose the idea for the next one!

Great job and I look forward to those schedules still to come!

Filmlover,

I totally agree about taking a month off before picking up the Challenge again. Gives the winner of this one time to recover and come up with the idea of the next Challenge.

I love all these schedules!

Message was edited by:

me

Archived