Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RETURN of the TCM Programming Challenge

As such, I don't understand why anyone would find anything about it confusing.

Well, as you can see, it clearly is confusing and others besides myself have commented about this disruptive (might be too strong of a word) habit of yours. You see, not everyone replies to a specific post within a thread, and when they want to participate, they just post their comments to the last entry in the thread. If your post, CineSage, was the last one made to a particular thread, then their post would retain the subject title you typed containing your, er, "wit". This makes it most confusing, as I pointed out in the Hitchcock Trivia thread, for not only newcomers to these boards, but for some of us regulars as well. I had to cut and paste this original thread's title into the subject line to (shall we say) get it back on track;-)

Of course, no one can keep you from continuing to do what you do; I just thought it might be helpful for you to understood "our" point of view.

> Thank you for the encouragement. It is because

> everyone's was so good that I decided I'm not in the

> same league.

movieman,

If it helps any, I had never scheduled any films before the first challenge. I think that is the case for the majority of the people who have listed in either of the challenges. You would be surprised what you can come up with. I think a good starting point is just to say to yourself, "Okay, for one week, I can list anything in the TCM library that I would like to see." Then start jotting some films. After a bit, you will have a list of titles and then you might see some connection between some of them. That can serve as a theme for some, and then likewise another group.

I know I would be happy to help you if you need any this time or next time. And I know I probably speak for the rest of us. We would like to see more join in. The more, the merrier. Say, there you go, that can be your first film (The More the Merrier); you can do a Jean Arthur tribute, lol.

filmlover

That's very kind of you. I'll be sure to check with you then on some ideas. I happen to like your suggestion to start. I like that movie and could certainly build that around a day for Jean Arthur (one of my favorites) or maybe more unusually Charles Coburn.

Thanks.

FWIW, TCM will be showing films "Starring Jean Arthur" on June 3rd, starting with that weekend's Essential Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). Now a night (or day) of Charles Coburn movies, that would be fabulous!

Oops, I just checked and they already did that (e.g. honor Mr. Coburn) last June 4th!

Message was edited by:

path40a

Well, there's always Joel McCrea. Or combining it with Walk Don't Run.

Did you ever notice a fun film remains good always?

While researching for the Challenge this time, I even came across a 1930s or 1940s WB film about a Broadway producer who raises more money than necessary and deliberately picks flops so he gets to keep the money.

Hmmm, that could make a good modern comedy. We could call it The Producers.

filmlover -

The first thing I have to say about your challenge week - "Holy Smoke"!

What a great challenge week. I know you were concerned there may be some mis-interpretation about your programming Religious films but I think it is the mark of a good programmer. You're programming for the audience, not for yourself. And many members of the audience will be in heaven.

Your attention to details is extraordinary, especially in pairing all the appropriate shorts and catoons - i.e.finding a George Reeves short for your GWTW Casting Call. And then you finesse films for your Selznick tribute into the weekly Darkness After Dawn and Lone Star Cinema slots. So skillful.

Thanks for "Wonder Bar". It was part of the original "Race In Hollywood" schedule but didn't make it to the final list somehow. I'm a sucker for all the WB musicals.

To have a February evening of Frankenheimer is a real treat. A two-bucket of popcorn evening if there ever was one. (Probably two buckets for "The Train" alone.)

Such a great week, my friend. You've done yourself proud.

"Can I get an "amen" on that?"

Amen!

Kyle In Hollywood

Bogie wrote -

I intended to pull out all the stops with this week, which is intended to be a "powerhouse week," where the heavy hitters come out in full swing

Bogie -

You certainly succeeded at hitting your first programming challenge week out of the park. Most of us would hae settled for an "ground rule double" for our first attempt at this. I think starting the week with "Giant" signaled that this was going to be a BIG week on TCM.

You picked out the very best films from the best directors for your Tuesday salute and I think giving Billy Wilder a whole day is the perfect solution to a dilemma of having to choose a single Wilder film to add to the Masters Of Direction day.

Your love of classic films comes through loud and clear with this week you have programmed and is a wonderful primer for all the newcomers to TCM - and there are more and more everyday, from what I can tell. I also know who to go to with a question about film-noir from now on.

I am so glad you chose to join up and do a week for TCM along with the rest of us. Tho it finishes up with a day of Epic Proportions, it is really a week-long demonstration of great filmmaking writ large on TCM. And you should be very proud. You definitely achieved the goal you set for yourself. Congratulations and, again, Welcome Aboard!

Kyle In Hollywood

MattHelm -

Leave it to you to come up with the most unique films for a holiday theme. "Christmas Ham And Turkey" indeed. And a new version of "A Christmas Carol" ("Scrooge") is always welcome. Reginald Denny could use a Christmas vacation in Miami.

I admire anyone ready to look outside the Hollywood system for a Star Of The Month and one can't do better than Toshiro Mifune.

I also think it is a great idea to present of films that try to demonstrate the affection people have for the movies ("Purple Rose Of Cairo" & "Sullivan's Travels"). It is something with which everyone around here can identify. Brilliant!

And do you think we could get a Kennedy to host the 12-steppers greatest hits on New Year's Eve?

You've put together a most interesting week. And like the last time, I am in awe of the knowledge you have about films with which I am unfamiliar. I feel like such piker in your presence.

Just a wonderful week, MattHelm

Kyle In Hollywood

4. Rich Man, Beggar Man, Thief...sigh, this is going to be "drinks for all' again at the Roosevelt. >>

I'll help buy if you include me in. (my homage to Sam Goldwyn)

movieman1957 -

If you are trying to fill a night around "The More The Merrier" (great movie, btw) but not do the Jean Arthur / Joel McCrea / Charles Coburn route, you could try a few films about Washington D.C. or, even more interesting, "roommates" and include films like "The Great Lie" that aired tonight where Davis and Astor are thrown together for months until the baby is born or "It Happened One Night" with the fabled "Walls Of Jericho" scenes.

Just a thought...

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey TOOMANYNOTES You know...I just came on board and have the same trouble with the thread that was changed. That was quite an "explanation/answer" given to you.... What a putdown from somebody that struts while he is sitting down !!!

Message was edited by:

RockyRoad

There's an old adage in Japan that goes "The nail that sticks up must be hammered down." It's wonderfully emblematic of their conformist society, where most, if not all, traces of individuality are frowned upon and serve as justification for exclusion from the mainstream.

The very idea that something as trivial as what someone writes in the title bar is worthy of discussion and criticism is indicative of a tendency toward conformity in all societies.

The topic of each thread in this forum is about what it's about; though there's obviously going to be a bit of fluidity in the thrust of that discussion, I submit that those conformist tendencies are the underlying causes of these objections, not the content of what I write.

Kyle,

I appreciate what you said, and also your encouragement and info help during the creating of my 2nd one. Gad, we're veterans now. Someday, I'll say to my gandchildren, "Why, I remember way back in that First Challenge of Twenty-Ought-Six...".

In some way, I think we might have stronger schedules this time around. It would be so great that if a third time comes around a lot more people take place.

filmlover

movieman,

Well, since TCM did a tribute awhile ago on Coburn, you could expand on it and call the day "Charles Coburn and His Bevy of Beautiful Blondes". The tribute could include The More the Merrier & The Devil and Miss Jones (both Jean Arthur), Bachelor Mother & Vivacious Lady (both Ginger Rogers), Rhapsody in Blue (Alexis Smith), and Made for Each Other (Carole Lombard), and I am sure there are many more.

filmlover

filmlover:

Thanks for the idea. I had some similar thoughts about a theme so it's good to know I might be in the right area. You've been very helpful and encouraging. I'll see what I can do. If I feel I can make something work on the next one I might PM you for a point or two if that's ok.

movieman

Message was edited by:

Me

Hey Kyle,

Thanks. I just looked your schedule over and it's a hard one to follow, or come before. Your July 4th, 13 Colonies theme is way, way, way outside the box. I didn't touch that holiday with a ten foot pole because all that came to mind was Yankee Doodle Dandy, and 1776 (I didn't think The Patriot was ready for a TCM premiere, or worthy, just to get me out of a hole). Your Rich Man, Poor Man theme was very ingenious, as well.

It's funny, I was going to do a night of Booth Tarkingtons but could only think of Magnificent Ambersons, Presenting Lily Mars and Alice Adams, that TCM owns. My other choices were On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon, but they're later MGMs that I've never seen on TCM. If I had known the Penrod movies were Tarkingtons, I would have used them. So, I learned a lot from your schedule, thanks.

As for Frederic March, I would love to see him as SOTM. I was originally going to show three versions of A Christmas Carol back-to-back on Christmas Eve, and call it, The Three Scrooges. One of them was going to be a public domain version of Frederic March playing Scrooge. I decided not to for two reasons: 1) it's actually a TV version shown in 1954 on Shower of Stars, so I didn't think it appropriate for TCM, and 2) it's the lousiest version I've ever seen. If you're interested in seeing it just for March's sake, it's on the Christmas with Bing Crosby and Kate Smith DVD as a bonus feature (it costs less than $10). I kept the Finney version for The Essentials, because I think belongs there. Anyway, you reminded me that I forgot to label my two back-to-back Scrooges as "Dueling Scrooges."

As for a Kennedy hosting the pre-New Year's Eve 12-steppers, that's a great idea. Maybe I should go back and sneak in a short of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in honor of Teddy and his nephew.

to path40a -

The schedule you posted is chock-a-block with films of such quality that if I had to have surgery, I'd pick this week to go under the knife so I would have this schedule on TCM while I recuperated.

I am amazed at just how much of your week comes from the MGM / RKO / WB catalogue. You really stuck close to the core library. Well Done!

And thanks to you, I learned who Aline MacMahon is. Well, I can put a name with a face now. Little did I know that I had included a film of her's on my schedule ("Tish") until I searched out a photograph of her. (Oh! That's Aline MacMahon!")

But learning from a path40a post is standard operating procedure in these parts.

Here before me is a schedule spotlighting not only great men (Presidents), but the common man (Capra) and the uncommon men and women that are some of filmdom's greatest character actors (What A Character).

There's a celebration of the cinema's Everyman (Cooper) and perhaps the greatest achievement of every man - fatherhood, which is demonstrated not only in a selection of paterfamilial films but with the scheduling of films for viewing as a family event on Saturdays and Sundays. Intentionally or not, this week seems to be a demonstration of something more than a love a great films - from what I see on the lines and between the lines.

I knew that path40a would assemble a great schedule but the quality of this schedule is so much more than a selection of fine entertainment. It is an expression of the quality of the character of a valued board member here.

And again, as with all path40a posts, I have learned something new and very valuable.

Kyle In Hollywood

Wow Kyle, you've made my day! I'm going to have to stay in my home office for a while until my swelled head shrinks enough so that I can make it out the door;-) It's great that we only have to schedule a single week, and not a whole month (let alone, month after month after month ...) because it enables us to pack a lot in.

Glad to be of help wrt Aline MacMahon, she's a great one. I hope that you've had a chance to see 'Tish' too; some great "old broads" in that one (LOL!), a real gem.

Hey,

Just wanted to remind everyone that the Challenge ends at Midnight (your time) on May 31st, so there is still time to participate!

Tracey, I am looking forward to your challenge!

To all who have participated so far, thank you!

I have been traveling on business most of the month and I truly appreciate all the posters who took the time to answer questions and provide support in my absence. I tried to check in as often as possible but sometimes business didn't allow me to be as "here" as I should have been and the help and support of everyone in helping me out is appreciated.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday weekend watching TCM!