Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight Films That Are Actually Gay.

20 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Dance boys dance...

I suppose the reason they're dancing with each other is that none of the native Brits know how to jitterbug yet, it being new to them?

According to this article in Billboard, from 1945, just after the end of the war, the British powers-that-be wanted to eradicate the "rude American dancing" that had infiltrated their shores.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kRgEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT75&dq=billboard+magazine&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig6KKv447rAhVJaq0KHZkYBLQQ6AEwAnoECAIQAg#v=onepage&q=jitterbug&f=false

• Like 1
3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I suppose the reason they're dancing with each other is that none of the native Brits know how to jitterbug yet, it being new to them?

According to this article in Billboard, from 1945, just after the end of the war, the British powers-that-be wanted to eradicate the "rude American dancing" that had infiltrated their shores.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kRgEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT75&dq=billboard+magazine&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwig6KKv447rAhVJaq0KHZkYBLQQ6AEwAnoECAIQAg#v=onepage&q=jitterbug&f=false

I rather imagine they were boyfriends who after the dance went off to secluded spot and made out👬

17 hours ago, jaragon said:

I rather imagine they were boyfriends who after the dance went off to secluded spot and made out👬

They didn't take any time deciding who would lead, so they'd obviously done this before. It's so refreshing seeing two guys dance without any of the usual "Gee, what do I do now?" fake awkwardness.  Thanks for the fun clip. 

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 8:29 AM, DougieB said:

They didn't take any time deciding who would lead, so they'd obviously done this before. It's so refreshing seeing two guys dance without any of the usual "Gee, what do I do now?" fake awkwardness.  Thanks for the fun clip. 

Yes that is why it's such a delightful surprise.   This is an MGM picture so I'm sure that number was well rehearsed but there is a sense of fun about it- the shorter guy can't wait to dance with his buddy.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

"Lost Boundaries" (1949) this is based on a true story about a black doctor and  his family who passed for white in a small New England town and what happens when their secret is exposed.  The gay angle of"Lost Boundaries " is the son.   Howard (Richard Hylton) is college student and talented composer. His best friend is Art Cooper (William Greaves)  These two are gay coded- not only do they have "artistic" interest Howard plays the piano and Cooper sings. They are no given any female love interest on the other other hand Howard's sister Shelly (Susan Douglas) is in love with Andy (Carlenton Carpenter)  Howard and Cooper are always  together and during the dance Cooper sings a song about looking for love while Howard plays the piano. In their final scene the Cooper comes to Howard's rescue at the police station.   The fade out has Howard looking very cute in his sailor suit heading into the Navy . Cooper was going into the Air Force but I get a feeling that these two buddies will meet up after the war and set up house as the first interracial gay couple in the small New England town.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DougieB said:

I'm definitely going to look for this one. It seems to have been exploring "boundaries" on at least two levels.

It's a fascinating film somewhat dated but it's heart is in the right place- of course casting white actors as the family sort of defeats he purpose. I wonder if the type of film that Ed Wood had in mind when he made "Glenn or Glenda"?  I can easily imagine a similar type film made about a gay couple who must hide their sexuality.

• Like 1

"Black Narcissus" (1947)  there really is nothing gay about this film well except for the hot Mr Dean.  I just saw the 2020 remake on FX which is pretty good but lacks the original Technicolor splendor.    Mr Dean is played by Alessandro Nivola- we get to see more of him but David Farrar was sexier in the original film.  I started thinking about the gay angle because in the new film they mention how some monks had previously attempted and failed to establish a monastery .  I wonder if the monks also went crazy with lust over Mr Dean.  Now that would be an interesting film.