Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Famous lines from movies

Yul Brynner-very funny. Was he naturally bald or did he shave his head? Anyone know?

And to be serious for a minute, the quote is Bette Davis in "Cabin in the Cotten."

I saw Cabin in the Cotton on TCM the other night and was surprised by the reading of that line. It's one of those lines you hear all the time, but I'd never heard the original reading until this week. I thought it was intended to be bitchy, and was surprised when Miss Davis said it in such a sexy, flirtatious way. She was hot!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an answer for this but I know I just saw the movie recently and it is so frustrating to have that info in your brain but you can't fetch it . Reminds me of Trivia Pursuit.

Hi Metry Road,

No, sorry it is not "Sand Pebbles".

It is way before that movies' time period but just before "The Last Emperor".

This is my first time at "Trivia", so I don't know if I'm supposed to give hints. But here's one anyway:

It was a big blockbuster film made by Samuel Bronfman.

Larry

'The Sand Pebbles' was set in 1926, 'The Last Emperor' covered a period from 1912 to 1925 (I think). The history of China in the first quarter of the 20th century, prior to the communist revolution is a bit dark and murky (to me). Both these movies show aspects of the period but no real historical background.

Jeez, now you've started me on another project.

Regards

Hi Mr Write LA,

Yes, you win the prize!

It was Flora Robson, as the Dowager Empress Tzu Hsi, speaking to David Niven and Charlton Heston in "55 Days At Peking" (1963).

This film takes place during the Boxer Rebellion in China, which Tzu Hsi supported but lost.

Metry Road et al -

I mistyped or misspoke (?) Bronfman. It should have been Samuel Bronston. So much for me giving clues!! Duh.......

Samuel Bronfman is indeed a liquor baron from Canada, who could have well made a profit serving beer and spirits during this long and over wrought melodrama.

But, I did love dear old Flora as a Chinese ****......

After she speaks this line, she points to the window and entreats Dave & Chuck to a lovely mass entertainment - the beheading of about 100 Chinese........

Pass the lager!!!

Larry

Larry

it does sound like something John Wayne said in True Grit but that is not the answer (clue this person was trying to come to an important decision that would effect his daughters life he only had a few hours to think about it.